Nokia E63 Encryption problem.

JuGGa

ftw !!
Skilled
Hello Friends,

Yesterday one my friends was tinkering with mobile settings. In that process, he turned memory card "encryption" ON. But turned it off later. But the problem is that even after turning encryption off, data is till encrypted and not readable. I've tried in PC, but failed :(. Though VLC was able to play videos (not checked all). I took the phone to Nokia Care, and I must say that those n00bs have only one solution- "SOFTWARE UPDATE" :mad:. I challenged them that soft update won't resolve this problem. Then I was transferred to another senior, then to another senior, finally last guy understood my problem. And sadly he said that there's no solution for it other than mem card format, which in any case is not a solution for me. I asked him that if nokia provided those guys with its own "decryptor" (which could only solve this problem), he said no. :( What to do guys?

As per he told me, he didn't. But thats impossible, coz when I re-tried testing encryption, it asked password. But strangely, when I turned off encryption, it didn't ask for any. :S

^^ Maybe a blank space is the password.....

BTW where is the encryption thingy ? Is it under memory card - > Option -> Set Password ?

Can't find in my E63 though.

I tried everything. Actually it stores a "passkey" while encrypting, which has to be present for decryption. I can't find that. (No idea where it would be)

Encryption is Tools>Encryption

What you've mentioned is just setting password for memory card.

OT- I had bad experience with it too. Once my friend had forgot mem card pass, then total hell. Couldn't even format it also, even from PC :mad:

If there has been encryption of data and you have lost the password,data is gone.encryption is built for this purpose!!!!!

bottom line-don't let others mess with your data and BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try to get your friend to remember,if it was only numbers you have a better chance as you can try guessing numbers,but its going to take a lot of time!

Well nobody messes it with my data, plus if all he messes, I've set up my own safeguards to recover them. I already told that the phone was of a friend and he did it by mistake, then contacted me.

Looks like your friend encrypted his data by mistake and then forgot or did not enter any password.In that case try entering default nokia passwords like 00000 or 12345.there is no way to read encrypted data without decrypting it.

Well my friend had already turned the encryption off before showing to me. Plus i've already mentioned that when I tested encryption by myself, it just asked pass while encryption but not during decryption. :O

AFAIK those softwares are for recovering deleted data, not encrypted data. A "suitable decryptor" can only help in this regard.

I had a similar problem though with a corporate laptop. The thing is that it takes time to encrypt and decrypt the card, so maybe it is doing the same? Just try decrypting it again and wait.

It took me 4 hours for a 2GB card. Now that works at a very high speed since 1. A computer is doing the processing, 2. HIgh speed card reader built in the laptop.

Back