Nokia E72 Launch date and price?

though its got better features and all that, i think the e 71 looks better.

when this launches will the e 71 be discontinued? or will its price go down further?

Mini review of the E72:

Menus are pretty animated, fading between screens, much better mail for exchange integration. Camera images are noticeably clearer. EDGE is a lot more useable.

One of the best things so far- I have been searching for an app that contained a "bucket" of access points that it would automatically use to connect in order of priority. This app existed and then I couldn't find it. It is built in to E72's software, you can set up an "internet" bucket and put in wifi points and packet data points and it uses them in order to access the web. However, some apps do not see this bucket feature yet.

Google maps works great which I use instead of nokia maps

Roadsync works ok, needs an update for this phone

USB charging works, comes with a 6" cable instead of the normal longer one.

The headset it came with had all sorts of plastic things with it, didn't get a chance to mess with it.

Locking keypad changed from top left bottom left to top left top right, hope I can change it back..

Trackpad is interesting, works fine I will have to get used to it as I find myself moving to a different item when I am clicking down on it, may just be me.

@sharmapu: It's available on the web already. About $460.

@wingmysoul: The E71 has already received the price cut necessary to reposition it as a leader in the entry level business segment. Plus, if I have read the reports correctly, the E71 and E72 are here to stay.

gforce said:
One of the best things so far- I have been searching for an app that contained a "bucket" of access points that it would automatically use to connect in order of priority. This app existed and then I couldn't find it. It is built in to E72's software, you can set up an "internet" bucket and put in wifi points and packet data points and it uses them in order to access the web. However, some apps do not see this bucket feature yet.

This "bucket" feature exists on the Nokia 5800 as well. And as you say not all apps recognise this bucket.

^^ Are you trying to improve your web site ranking on Google? That's an old article and only lists the retail price. You don't pay the MSRP on anything, do you? :)

I tried the Opti Navi Key for a good 10 minutes at a priority dealer. It sucks. Every flick of the thumb takes you across only one icon in a menu, and the sensitivity option doesn't change this! So while the first 10 seconds on a youtube video may fool you into thinking "wow, what a cool new feature!" IMHO this in the real world is absolutely useless (i.e. the particular way the e72 has it). Just using the old D-pad buttons is a whole lot more efficient and pleasant.

Now if you thought that someone (Nokia or developer community) even fixes this with a firmware upgrade, there's another problem - the physical design of the button. The opti navi key sits sunken into the regular d-pad (like on the e1, e51 etc.). So when you flick your thumb on it, each time your thumb is hitting the raised edges of the D-pad. This gets very annoying and very unpleasant very quick. After 5-10 minutes, my thumb felt a little sore.

I compared this with the touchpad on the Blackberry 8520 which is miles ahead. One swipe (not flick, but a light swipe), takes you across several icons, which actually makes this an efficient process, unlike the e72. Unfortunately, the 8520 has it's own limitations (poor plastic build quality, no gps etc.), so neither phone is really worth the price IMHO.

I was really excited about the e72, but the opti navi key totally sucks. I have decided to hold off till next year for a better phone to come out.

^ well my take is that the optical trackpad is betta switched off and as you said gets annoying, when compared to 8520, the trackpad there is just amazing, it adds to the whole experience of navigation where in e 72 it kinda gets annoying.

Back