Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 prices revealed in Germany

sabby

ex-Mod
Winfuture.de reports the Nokia Lumia 920 will be released in Germany in mid-October and will retail for 600 Euro ($758, £476).
The Austrian art magazine ‘Future Zone‘ reported that Nokia wants to deliver the Lumia 920 from the middle of October in Germany. They expect the handset to initially launch only in a few countries, much like the roll-out of the Nokia Lumia 800, before being available everywhere.
The handset will be introduced first in Germany, France, Britain, Italy and Russia, before becomes available in late October in Poland. The Scandinavian countries, Portugal and Spain will receive the handset a short time later.
The Nokia Lumia 820 will follow 2 weeks later in the same markets and will retail for around 450 Euro ($568, £357).

A cheaper version of the Lumia 920 without LTE will also be available.

That works out to be 42.5k INR for 920 and 32k INR for 820. Good Luck Nokia selling millions of phone at those price.

Source: European Nokia Lumia 920 priced and dated | WMPoweruser

Nokia is going to die, it is inevitable. The 820 looks like a toy and neither phones have features that can possibly challenge the upcoming iphone 5.
Id rather take an atif over the nokia's anyday.

This is not the price we were looking for. Come on Nokia, bear some loss and make people happy. That is the only way to survive.

820 for 32k with such age old resolution, no doubt this will be the end for nokia. Waiting for Q4 now to see the company go bonkers.

All their phones are priced higher that what they offer specs wise compared to similarly priced android phones. Their nokia asha series is at around 6.5k and looking at the asha phone specs, if you compare with other similarly priced android phones in the same price range, you will never look at nokia again. Nokia is not value for money anymore - their main selling point from decades. Guess this is what happens to companies that do not change fast or do not have good leaders to guide them out of trouble.

Just to give you guys a little perspective, the S3 launched in Germany at a price of €669 which equates roughly to ~47k INR.

You cant do a fx rate type price comparisn for a mobile phone. S2 launched at €450 in Europe while in India it was priced at 29,990.

This is like comparing apples to oranges.

My guess is that the Nokia 920 will be priced in the ~32k-35k range whereas the Nokia 820 will be priced in the ~23k-25k range.
At that price point they offer pretty much similar hardware to their Android counterparts and offer a decent alternative. The S4 dual core Krait is more than a match to the One X's Tegra 3 Quad.

Nokia should price these phones a notch or two below the current competition high end phones if they want to gain consumers from Android/iOS base. The price sensitive people won't consider them as VFM while the niche market won't consider this a status/luxury product like iPhone/SGS.

People in Europe and North America usually buy phones on contracts, so probably the high price wont have as much affect on sales as it could have otherwise.
Although I dont know if the specs are great or not, but the design looks great. If Apple goes with the same 2 year old design then I dont think many would like to buy it, probably because most consumers arent very picky about specs. The two very important things that they have got right and what most consumers want is the camera and the design.
Also, probably they will release it at a lower price in India.

^ Well, Nokia smartphone sales number is very low in North America. India and other Asian markets are where Nokia gets their most of the revenue.

Nokia should price these phones a notch or two below the current competition high end phones if they want to gain consumers from Android/iOS base. The price sensitive people won't consider them as VFM while the niche market won't consider this a status/luxury product like iPhone/SGS.

Actually I disagree on this point, this is because of the following reasons --
  • Windows Phone has a lot more in common with iOS, I mean from the standpoint of the OS they are built on similar pillars of centralized architecture, closed ecosystem (not excessive in case of WP) and running on hardware that has been cherry-picked for them, this means the smoothness will be uniform across all models irrespective of actual hardware specifications; as long as it meets the minimum, tasks will flow like butter (pun intended).
  • WP 8 is removing a lot of the restrictions and half-baked features of the WP 7.5, Bluetooth is working, as well USB connectivity has been implemented, hot-swap memory is there so all is not lost.
  • The Metro UI style and feel are something that are truly innovative and different and Apple really cannot say a thing to their designs.
  • Pricing will be inline with what is the situation in India, in that case current generation graphics cards need to fall from their inflated price pedestals, the HD7850 should go around ~13000/-, the HD7870 ~18500/- and so on, obviously if NOKIA wants to price these atrociously they will but as soon as it becomes clear that nobody is buying they shall fall back to more modest prices.
Hoping that WP and NOKIA weather the storm and emerge for the better.

@ALPHA17 I never said that Win Phone 8 is an inferior OS compared to iOS/Android. In fact, if nokia price these phones reasonably, I'll probably buy a new 920/820. But only a few percentage of the buyers will be 1st time smartphone users. Nokia needs to give the Android/iPhone users some good reason why they should move to Nokia WP8 phones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that price is well reasonable as compared to the Galaxy S3 and Note 2. According to one resource i found that the Nokia Lumia 920 will command a price tag of 600 Euros, which is roughly 760 bucks. On the other hand Nokia Lumia 820 will cost less than the nokia lumia 920 and price tag is approximately 450 euro, which is roughly 357 bucks and it is said to be available a couple of weeks after the nokia lumia 920. Now the big question arises in my mind is that how much both lumia 820 and lumia 920 hit the pocket of user..?

Back