Nokia N8 to be final Symbian N Series device

kauzy

Skilled
Seems Nokia has started to feel the heat... :eek:hyeah:

Whoa. Nokia's premier range of devices, the N Series, will bid adieu to the Symbian operating environment and go MeeGo full time after the introduction of the N8. That's what we've just heard directly from the Finnish horse's mouth. Nokia will naturally keep Symbian around -- of course there's a whole Symbian^4 to come -- but will utilize it on more mass market devices as it seeks to push smartphones further down the product hierarchy. So it's not necessarily bad news, as such, it means we'll likely see Symbian trickle down to handsets priced more like featurephones and less like miniaturized laptops. What it does mean, however, is that Nokia is pushing forward with its modernization plans, and doing so more aggressively than previously thought. Which we consider to be a pretty awesome (and necessary) thing.

Source: Nokia N8 to be final Symbian N Series device, all MeeGo from here on out -- Engadget

Like I said before, Nokia keeps on experimenting on idiotic platforms. They should've stuck to one platform. Tomorrow, Nokia's implementation of MeeGo may reach the same fate.

here is how it is going after 5800 XM

Maemo - N900 - EOL for mobile phones, moved on to MeeGo

MeeGo - nxxx - still no idea when this platform will come out on Nokia phones

Symbian S^3 - N8 - delays delays and delays, has S60 written all over it and just few cosmetic changes to apps and home screens. probably going to reach EOL in a year

Symbian S^4 - ???? - ????

I think Nokia should stick to Symbian. Its a great platform and mature enough with all the most essential pieces in place. All they need to to is to concentrate their efforts on this one platform. In any case, I think Nokia can still maintain the market dominance of Symbain platform with just Mid to low end devices as well. They don't need to make a flagship device for symbian. Its like the GPU industry. While nVidia and ATi make the greatest GPU's, Its Intel who owns the majority of the market with their on-board Graphics solutions.

Qt is the key. They were developing it for Symbian as well as Maemo/MeeGo... I wonder what will happen on the Symbian side if they're pushing the Linux based MeeGo platform...

isn't it kind of known that S^3 is just intermediate step between S60 and S^4. ? but now, it looks like Nokia is giving more importance to MeeGo, thereby delaying everything!

Oh was just looking up some pages on the topic... apparently N series devices will go to MeeGo while Symbian will continue on the E/C/X etc series... both should have the Qt toolkit/UI so should be very good from here on out...

I think Symbian does a pretty good jobs in the mid-range section. I currently own a Nokia 5233, and I have no problems with the OS, its perfectly fine for the price I paid especially when you compare it too the competition like Samsung which offers TouchWiz. What Nokia, needs is something more exclusive for its higher end mobiles. I do not know why Nokia is against Android but if it adopts Android it will produce some of the best top end phones. Whereas, Symbian can continue to work on the midrange devices.

I think Nokia will do a brilliant job at covering Android with their own quirks also if they adopt Android it will be one of the biggest boosts to Android as a open source OS, as Nokia is one of the Big players.

Back