Nokia X6 video hands-on: proof that capacitive touchscreens are better

abbY

Skilled
Was thinking about getting the Nokia 5530, then saw this and methinks it will be worth the wait and extra $$ .

If this sells for ~18k its gonna be a big hit.

+ Capacitive Screen

+ 5Mp Camera

Here is the link

Video

abbY said:
Was thinking about getting the Nokia 5530, then saw this and methinks it will be worth the wait and extra $$ .
If this sells for ~18k its gonna be a big hit.

+ Capacitive Screen
+ 5Mp Camera

I think that Nokia will price it at over 22k i.e lower than N97.

The price will come down to 18k level in 6-9 months. But if the phone sells well in the initial months, the price will never come down to that level.

oops my bad

Here is the link

Video

I am hoping that this launches in the next 3 - 4 months and by then the price of the 5530 should be down to the 12k range, so hoping this would then be available @ 19kish

lol. nokia should just stay away from touchscreens. even with the capacitive touchscreens their attempts are embarrassing at best. that guy had to flick his finger across many times before getting anything out of the interface. pathetic.

for those who are gonna jump in and say "omg this is only a prototype you noob, it'll definitely improve"... watch. it won't.

the touchscreen on my 5800 makes me wanna barf.

^^ Wow! I always thought 5800 was selling like hot cakes so it must be really good. Was planning to buy it for my sister...is it so bad?!?! :O

BTW the performance of the touch screen in that video really sucks!

ashr said:
lol. nokia should just stay away from touchscreens. even with the capacitive touchscreens their attempts are embarrassing at best. that guy had to flick his finger across many times before getting anything out of the interface. pathetic.

for those who are gonna jump in and say "omg this is only a prototype you noob, it'll definitely improve"... watch. it won't.

the touchscreen on my 5800 makes me wanna barf.

Even though I sold my 5800 long time back, there was nothing wrong with its touch screen. Most bugs were sorted out with firmware update.

My sister is still using it and frankly for its price, it is still more than decent touch screen phone.

If your screen is giving you that much problem, you might want to get it checked at nokia care. It was very usable and responsive.

The double click sucks though... Nokia should just get rid of it.

X6, N97 Mini and N97 are not worth getting unless they are priced very close to 5800. After all they are almost the same hardware with minor differences. If you really want a symbian phone with a capacitive screen, go for the Omnia HD for 28k. That phone at least packs a lot more features the price. As for X6 I think it would be priced near to the 25~28k mark because of the 32GB storage. Also lack of a mem card slot is a deal breaker.

Shripad said:
Even though I sold my 5800 long time back, there was nothing wrong with its touch screen. Most bugs were sorted out with firmware update.

My sister is still using it and frankly for its price, it is still more than decent touch screen phone.

I agree. I bought 2 x Nokia 5800's for me and my sister and both are working good. I have not even updated the firmware after purchase and I have no issues with the the touchscreen performance nor even with the CPU which is till working at the original 369MHz as against the 434Mhz in the later updates.

5800 is very good value for money. In fact as I mentioned in another thread, some of my colleagues have tried a few touchscreen phones including the iPhone 3G and liked the 5800 for the value it offers. Two of them even bought them. It may not have a zillion apps, but it still packs a lot for the price.

Personally I prefer resistive touch screens over capacitive ones because of the flexibility in operation they offer. The finger touch is not too responsive, but it works decently well and it works anything other than fingers too. This is one of reasons I have not replaced my 5800 with a Omnia HD.

Maybe people who are accustomed to the responsiveness of capacitive screens may find it diffucult to adjusting to resistive screens, but they should also consider the fact that there may be people who do not prefer overly responsive touch screens. Atleast thats what I found from the colleagues who tried all these phones at a time. They simply prefered the touch and tactile feedback of my 5800 compared to the overly responsive capacitive screen on the iPhone where you do not even know that you have selected something.

I dont get all the fuss over capacitive . The os need to be optimized for capacitive first . Its already seen that capacitive on omnia hd dont make s60 any better . Resistite is more practical .

Btw , how we're supposed to use operamini in x6 ? It requires sharper object like nail because the buttons and menus are not big enough.

Expected Price is $637.
Thats about 31K in Indian rupees.

A trifle too steep, I think.
Plus it does not come with expandable memory! :p

I have to sat Samsung JET is the better value for money phone than 5800.
It has AMOLED 800X480 screen
Better touch response
800Mhz processor
5 mpx camera
D1 resolution vide re.
Divx Xvid support
So at 19k it looks better option to me .

Jet is a dumb phone :p

Dont forget that. LG arena is actually better one if you are looking for pure multimedia phone. Now available for 20-21k odd.

Im disappointed that its another rehash more or less.Same old freescale platform for god knows how long. Where is my SF phone?

Shripad said:

If your screen is giving you that much problem, you might want to get it checked at nokia care. It was very usable and responsive.

The double click sucks though... Nokia should just get rid of it.

i've updated the firmware. the phone is working as intended. there aren't any "problems" but it's just way behind say an iPhone. the video posted shows that they aren't able to catch up even after making the move to capacitive screens.

Back