Not responding to PING requests ...

PoBoy

Skilled
I just got a ADSL TriBand connection from MTNL. Soon after installation, I did the free Internet security checkup at ShieldsUP ( http://www.grc.com/ ). By the way, if any of you haven't already done this test, please do so - recommended. Anyway, my system passed all the tests except one :

"Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation."

Is this my system responding to the ping or is it the MTNL server or something ? If it is my system, how do I stop my system from responding to ping requests ? I use Win Me + Zone Alarm firewall.

I never had this problem when I used a dial-up connection or a connection via lan from a local company.

Thanks.

^ Your system is responding to incoming echo requests to disable that - you have to disable TCP port 445 by doing the following :

Go to control panel/windows firewall/advanced/ICMP/settings/ take out the tick mark from "Allow incoming Echo Request" and reboot. check again with shieldsup.

Edited after PoBoys post below : My bad, in my haste did not see the Win Me part ;)

Check in the ZA settings for ICMP echo requests.

I'm using Windows Me, there's no windows firewall ( I use ZoneAlarm as mentioned above). The funny thing is that ShieldsUP reports that TCP port 445 ( as well as other ports upto 1054 ) are "Stealth". Stealth = "There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!".

digen, thanks. I thought 'stealth status' was secure. So what can I do to make myself truely invisible on the net ?

Back