Laptops Notebook advice

Shrey

Adept
My sister needs a laptop, She's doing her masters in industrial engg, so its got to have a graphics solution to handle CAD (Pro/E etc) and analysis (Ansys etc) related work. She is in the states so rain in the newegg links. :eek:hyeah:

Price bracket : upto $ 1200. Not a penny more :p

Jeez... Edited... :ashamed: :ashamed:

How about HP DV5-1015TX.... It's got a 9600GT 512MB & costs ~ 63k in India & if you can get it from US then it can fit in your budget... somewhat...;)

STOP.

You want graphics power, so basically the best gaming laptop in ur budget with the best graphics.

Beg borrow steal to get ur budget to ~1450$. For that,you get the best VFM gaming laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS 512MB :O, Intels new centrino 2 platform, 4Gb DDR3 RAM :O, and a Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26GHz 3MB 1066FSB) :eek:hyeah:

Nothin else in this price range can hold a candle to this laptop in terms of pricing/features/sheer graphics power.

Glowing :p Review: AnandTech: Gateway P-7811 FX: We've Got Upgrades

Enjoy.

STOP Again :bleh:

Gateway - Laptop with Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology - P-7811FX

For sale @ Best Buy @ 1250$. Thats mindblowing for the performance. Grab it with both hands :eek:hyeah:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1 preloaded

Product Features

* Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology with interrelated Intel® Core™2 Duo processor P8400, Intel® Mobile PM45 Express chipset, Intel® Wireless Wi-Fi Link network connection (802.11a/b/g/n), extended battery life capability

* 4GB DDR3 memory for multitasking power, 1066MHz frontside bus, 3MB L2 cache and 2.26GHz pocessor speed

* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM; also supports Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media

* The next-generation Intel® Core™2 Duo processor is based on the innovative Intel® Core™ microarchitecture, so it runs faster and is more energy-efficient for cooler, quieter operation

* 17" WUXGA TFT widescreen display with 1920 x 1200 resolution

* 200GB SATA hard drive (7200 rpm)

* NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 discrete video memory; high-definition audio (2-channel); HDMI connector

* Built-in 1.3MP webcam makes it easy to chat with and send video mail to family and friends

* 5-in-1 digital media manager supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and xD-Picture Card

* IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 3 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer

* Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN with RJ-11 connector; V.92 high-speed data/fax modem

* Weighs 9.2 lbs. and measures just 1.7" thin for portable power

* FX premium design with brushed metal keyboard surround sound high-impact composite finish; illuminated metal precision touch multimedia buttons

hmm no dell ? One reason I'm harping on dell is because there are only dell service centers there, so she'll have to ship other notebooks in case of issues.

And yes weight is definitely a criterion, Hows the M1530 ?

shrey said:
hmm no dell ? One reason I'm harping on dell is because there are only dell service centers there, so she'll have to ship other notebooks in case of issues.

And yes weight is definitely a criterion, Hows the M1530 ?

The Nvidia 84XXM and 86XXM GPUchips have issues. So nogo with teh dell XPS range. You can try the dell studio range tho. Slick looking + comes with ATI chips.

True

But man, that config

I agree :O,

The studio range looks good, and the DV5 is great as well, but price wise the dell looks better, comes in under 900$. Besides she doesn't need an uber powerful graphics card, my geforce 5 series card handles CAD apps decently :lol:.

And thanks to all for the suggestions

Thoroughly agree, the gateway is the notebook to own if u can handle the weight. Incredible performance and great battery life for its power

Yes, i did have a look at the asus, but made a final decision and decided on the HP dv5t, its got really good reviews and its light. It works out to around $1000 with some discounts and stuff.

shrey said:
Yes, i did have a look at the asus, but made a final decision and decided on the HP dv5t, its got really good reviews and its light. It works out to around $1000 with some discounts and stuff.

You will be getting it locally or from outside India... If from India please let us know the price... :)

Back