Notebook with External or Internal Graphics dillema

sudipt123

Disciple
Dear Forum members,

I am looking for a notebook especially for multimedia usage and internet browsing. I am inquisitive to know the performance of Intel HD graphics compared to a dedicated Graphic card for HD video viewing (720p & above)

Typical Usage would be net browsing, Running of functional testing software (ram requirement 1gb recommended) also watching movies in various formats, occasional movie encoding and rare gaming usage (if possible)

I have shortlisted the Dell Inspiron 15R with ATI 512 mb dedicated grahics or the Acer Aspite 5740g with i3 base processor.

Budget around 32 ~ 35k , but would be able to stretch a bit as won't be buying another notebook for around 3-4 years.

Got a quote for the dell machine for around 35K delivery included, and visted Croma and had a look at Acer Travelmate 5742g with 1gb dedicated NVIDIA Graphics (420 M), 3gb RAM vs 2gb of dell, which was coming to 36K after discount. (They had a scheme for 2 days)

But i would need your suggestions before i take the plunge.

If my work can be handled by inbuilt- graphics, i can spend that money for better ram/ proc- maybe an i5

Thanks

Any current generation IGP( intel HD, ATI 4250) can handle 1080p videos with ease. If you don't intend to play any games on it go for onboard graphics. It will save some bucks, will run cooler and will give more battery backup

Thanks for the clarification,

So i think i will go for the integrated one, i would prefer portability now so contemplating the Dell Inspiron 14R with i5 . How is the acer timeline 4820T? is it a good buy with simliar specs. Any other suggestions?

I have shortlisted the Dell Inspiron 15R with ATI 512 mb dedicated grahics
this laptop features radeon 5470 which is not enough to play recent games at decent frames although this will get the games running, so if u want want to play fullHd videos then stick to the any decent current igp.

amitjakhar said:
^^ I believe this can easily satisfy your requirement-

Acer 5745

i3-370m, 2GB DDR3, 500GB hard drive, 15.6",HM55 chipset.

Got it yesterday for 29,500.

Model you can check here-

Acer Aspire 5745G review - Laptop reviews - TrustedReviews

Looks are pretty awesome for this price and its very slim as well.

With 36-37k you can go for same model with i5 processor or with same model with dedicated gfx card.
Wow, that's pretty neat pricing! Did you buy it from an acer point? No harm if I can save some bucks! Lets see

Back