Linux NR: Open-source team document collaboration software (web-based)

thogaibalu

Disciple
Hi all,

My friend is looking for a document collaboration software with following requirements:

• Web-based with direct-links to the documents
  • Word-processing and spreadsheet only
  • Online editing of documents and spreadsheet highly favored
  • Easy-to-use interface
  • Should run on WAMP / any Win-based open-source server framework

Presently, their team is using Windows share based (SMB) read-write shares to store and edit doc’s and sheet’s but looking for a web-based solution at-least for file-management, if-possible for AJAX editing also.

I’m exploring the following options:

If anybody has used any of the above for similar purpose, please tell me how much of the above requirements would be met by each.

Also, anybody has used WebDAV? Would it be useful from file-management perspective at least? Any insight would be helpful.

[P.s.] Google Docs / any other better online services(Zoho/Thinkfree) can’t be used –

• The solution has to work within their company intranet which has strict firewalling
  • This is a private project within the team and can’t afford (much of) a budget
  • Also minimal resources / configuration requirement from company IT

We’re looking for something which we can run off any team-member’s system on the intranet, with minimal-to-no external hw/sw resources & help from company IT.

Thanks,

Bala

For Collaborative work where lot of people edit the document at same time, Wiki format is recommended over MS word. so you can install MediaWiki - the same software the wikipedia uses.

If you are in market for Project management software Read this:

Top 10 Open Source Web-Based Project Management Software

There is Redmine which is my Fav and highly recommended

Lastly, I see you are already using Proprietary MS office Suite. so you can try Microsoft Office Groove 2007 which is made for collaborative purpose and is tighly integrated with other office products like word,excel. so migration would be painless for you

@Gaurish,
Groove is not an option cos, the M$ tools we use are given by the company, but we can't get Groove license.
I was also suggesting WIKI. But spreadsheets are not possible in Wiki right?

Thanks Prole73, I'll take a look.

thogaibalu said:
@Gaurish,

I was also suggesting WIKI. But spreadsheets are not possible in Wiki right?

It is possible to *display* spreadsheets in Wiki. File --> Save As --> Webpage(HTML). But that's not a optimum solution

best would be,

1) Keep spreadsheets on a single network location where it can edited simultaneously.

2) Simply add link of spreadsheet into wiki page. the wiki can serve as index for all shared documents.

3) now members can click on the link and open/edit spreadsheet.

4) To ensure data is same with all team members, use Shared Workbook feature of MS Excel

Hope it helps

Back