Graphic Cards NVIDIA 8600 GT Temp @ 95 'C ??

harishv

Recruit
Guys!! My 8600GT GPU's ideal temperature is at 95 'C, is this normal???

w8on7n.jpg

I'm guessing you mean idle temperature?

No, 95 degrees C is definitely not normal. Cleaned it lately? Dust can muck it up pretty bad.

No its not at all normal. Its most probably because of the dust collected on your gpu. Clean it. i'd rather suggest take a day off and clean your whole system.

yours is one hell off a first post i have ever seen on TE. anyway , as suggested, remove d gpu and get rid off the dust... hows the cooling in your cabinet? no of fans? well ventilated? give us details

Its probably due to dust ... my 8600 gt used to idle at 68 on load used to go at 95+ , i ran it like this for 2 years but i was just plain lucky .... Remove the gpu , clean the card properly and use it.

I have cleaned the card completely (removed dust from the fans etc.) and cleaned my cabinet also.My cabinet is a old one(Zebronics), there are two 80mm fans running in the side of the cabinet and one at the rear for cooling. Also i have installed Hyper TX3 for the processor.Still i am getting this ??
2196skx.jpg

I have cleaned the card completely (removed dust from the fans etc.) and cleaned my cabinet also.My cabinet is a old one(Zebronics), there are two 80mm fans running in the side of the cabinet and one at the rear for cooling. Also i have installed Hyper TX3 for the processor.Still i am getting this ??

ok...try uninstalling the current driver and download and install the latest ones...there was one particular version of nvidia driver (195 series ) which had issues with the fan not working. also, keep the side panel of the cabinet which is removeable open for a while and post a fresh gpu z screen shot. lets see if we see any changes in temp.... also, is it an xfx card?

ok...try uninstalling the current driver and download and install the latest ones...there was one particular version of nvidia driver (195 series ) which had issues with the fan not working. also, keep the side panel of the cabinet which is removeable open for a while and post a fresh gpu z screen shot. lets see if we see any changes in temp.... also, is it an xfx card?

The screen shot i took is with the latest graphics card drivers installed..and yes it is a xfx card 256 mb.Also opened the cabinet and saw, the fan is working properly...

The screen shot i took is with the latest graphics card drivers installed..and yes it is a xfx card 256 mb.Also opened the cabinet and saw, the fan is working properly...

very very common with xfx cards. they are known to run very hot . i had a xfx 9500 gt which used to peak up to 95 on load after a year of usage. the thermal compound xfx uses is of the cheapest quality. your only option is to reapply the thermal paste on the gpu from some expert. its not as easy as applying on a cpu. the thermal paste has gone bad on the card. see if someone with experience in this area can help you reapply a good branded thermal paste like arctic silver...

If its possible please post a pic of your 8600Gt card. Just curious to find the design of the heat sink. If it looks like a normal aluminium block with a fan then cleaning is easy. But if you have the heat sink covered and has small cavities of rectangular blocks on the heat sink, then cleaning is tough.

Recently one of our TE member had the same problem with his XFX 8800GT, inspite of cleaning and reapplying a good thermal paste, the temperature did not come down. The reason, the heat sink has cavities through which the air gets sucked in and let out and the dust get accumulated within the cavities which are hard to clean. I sold one of spare XFX 8800GT heat sink to him and his temperature returned to normal state.

Incase you have a pretty normal aluminium heat sink and if the temperature still remains the same, then reapply thermal paste, if it did not help, then i would suspect the cards electrical components which are about to die.

This happened to the first ever card i had, nVidia7100 GS. Found out a cockroach was stuck in the FAN, don't ask how :ashamed:

Just cleaned it and it was fixed.

@harishv check whether your card has any physical defects, such as blown off capacitors, bent PCB and the fan connection and contacts.
I too faced a similar situation with my XFX 8600GT, temps were stable ~85 during normal operation but used to go 100+ on load and the performance used to take a MASSIVE hit. Checked the card and saw blown caps, got it replaced from Rashi in two days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Change the thermal paste, only absence of thermal paste can cause the gfx to reach such high temperatures so fast. Next step check the fan, it should spin properly without any axial vibrations.

If the temps still don't go below 75C, check the capacitors and very small IC's around that location, they're voltage regulating IC's, if they go bust the GPU starts overheating, capacitors start bulging and very soon everything will go bust.

Back