Nvidia auto update issues etc.

Hi,

I have Nvidia 940M gpu in a laptop. It is cursed with the disk usage issue, google it. The same issue is still affecting many Nvidia gpu drivers all around the world. Anyways the disk usage issue was resolved after installing driver version v461.09 for the Nvidia 940M gpu. I never updated the driver after that. Today I don't know how and why Windows update automatically decided to update it and it has been updated it to v472.19.

Few questions-

- Why did Windows decide to update it today and not in the past for so many months?

- Here is the driver version which worked

Windows updating it and it couldn't be stopped

After the update

Now when I check their website https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx I can only see this driver v497.29
- Why didn't Windows update it to the latest v497.29 instead of v472.19?

- Last time it showed a list of drivers but it is not showing the same now. How to view the older drivers and download them?

- Anyway to revert to the older version by deleting/uninstalling this update?

I am not using GeForce experience. And how to stop Windows from auto updating gpu drivers?

Last edited:
Auto driver update from win updates is enabled by default.

Follow these to disable..

Auto driver update from win updates is enabled by default.

Follow these to disable..

Thanks bhai
Why didn't it auto update for all these months?
Why did it update to v472.19 instead of v497.29 present on their website? IIRC Windows update has never updated Nvidia driver in the past in this system.
Any idea from where the older version can be downloaded? For some unknown reason it is not displaying on their website.
Can we just uninstall this driver which was downloaded today and revert to the older one?

Drivers are not always the latest on Windows Update for quality and assurance reasons. They (Microsoft) have a very slow process to push drivers there and Nvidia has some serious issues within the past few months with at least 8 consecutive driver releases in the past (check Guru3D forums).

I would suggest uninstalling the existing driver with DDU

And then reinstalling via NvClean Install utility, it helps you get rid of the telemetry and other background stuff.
you can pick and choose what feature of the driver you wish to install and have a clean and silent express install package.

I would suggest uninstalling the existing driver with DDU

And then reinstalling via NvClean Install utility, it helps you get rid of the telemetry and other background stuff.
you can pick and choose what feature of the driver you wish to install and have a clean and silent express install package.
Say a driver is working fine in a system then is there a way to remove telemetry and other background stuff later? What personal data do they take under this?

Say a driver is working fine in a system then is there a way to remove telemetry and other background stuff later? What personal data do they take under this?
Never tried that actually, this guy Chris Titus on YouTube has good tips for overall optimizations and privacy related stuff.
Basically i think they must be taking device ids, browsing patterns, apps on the system.. possibly Mac addresses for targeted ad purposes.
What I generally do after windows install is get his debloating tool.

This disables the windows related telemetry and annoying MS Store apps.
Windows then loads the windows update related driver based on its Build version.
from then on i install using NV clean install tool.

Just to give you an idea, my windows install boots within 30 seconds (of course it has to do with the kind of hardware do you have).
At startup, i just have close to 100 Processes.. which is a great improvement for overall system usage.

Back