Graphic Cards Nvidia GT 540M vs ATI Radeon 6770M

eptheta

Disciple
I've looked at the benchmark specs and it seems that the 6770 is better but I'm not too good at analyzing this sort of stuff. All I can see is that the 6770 has DDR5 memory while the 540M has DDR3.

Which one is better ? Is there really a big difference ?

Also, in general, is it worth getting 2GB of GPU memory instead of 1GB ? I read somewhere that it makes no real difference. That's because I have the option to upgrade the GT540M memory ?

Thanks.

Its a no contest even the slower 6750 is way faster than the 540. 6770 is significantly faster. RAM makes no difference.

Amount of VRAM makes not much difference in mobile GPUs. 1GB is more than enough VRAM.

Its the bus width(64-bit,128 bit, 256 bit), RAM type(DDR3, GDDR5) and the shader count that matters.(But dont compare that by absolute nos. Nvidia and ATI/AMD counts them different as they have different architecture)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

More VRAM is just marketing tactic and sadly people who dont know much about GPU's (common Joe) falls for it.

Heck even Nvida's Desktop flagship GTX580 has only 1.5GB VRAM!

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

AMD Radeon HD 6770M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

The 6770M is a much better card than GT540M, Also that 2GB doesnt make any difference,its just a marketing gimmick.

I have one question which TE member "cyanide" raised about OpenGL support for 6770M cards. Is this issue resolved? I googled but still not finding any authentic view by either HP or AMD. Is it rumor or true? If it is then I would have think twice before opting for 6770M

^^ Link please. AMD Drivers have improved in leaps and bounds and are just as good @current level (v. 11.6) as current generation Forceware drivers in my view.

Also in OP sire's case I think it is better if he can save up some cash / or invest higher and purchase a AMD SD 6850 (which performs better than the HD 6770 as the same is a re-badged HD 5770, while consuming roughly same amount of power and lower thermals). AnandTech - Bench - GPU11.

^^ Its a laptop version chipset for starters, then you are looking at Hybrid graphics between Intel Core (Sandy-Bridge) laptop <--> AMD HD 6770M not a real HD 6770, the HD 6770M (because it is a mobile chipset) will be performing around level the of a desktop HD 6670. This means that everytime I play Amnesia: Dark Descent on my PC (AMD Phenom II 965, HD 5770, 6GB 1333MHz G.Skill) the game shifts to the onboard graphics (AMD HD 4200 provided by on-board AMD 785G chip), which plays it vey well (I'm also on latest drivers v. 11.6) and everything runs pretty well at a high level of detailing.

So your argument falls down as of now, because a) we don't know if OP is comparing between AMD HD 6770M and GT 540M (although the M represents the mobile edition in post one). b) OP has not mentioned any other details so we cannot misguide him on assumption of factors.

Amax said:
here is link...
http://www.techenclave.com/laptop-buying-advice/recommend-a-laptop-65k-193076-2.html#post1859979

I really wanted to know if issues of OpenGL with HD6770 cards has been resolved or not. This cards are added with DV6 HP laptops, if issues are resolved then this lappy will be VFM, I am looking for one so its important for me..
The issue does exist due to poor implementation (muxless) of AMD GPUs by some manufacturers, primarily Sony & HP. There are numerous threads in notebookreview forums about this issue.

Back