Graphic Cards Nvidia GTX580 reviews

lol..

From what I remember of their conclusion -

Fastest GPU on the planet
Thermals improved over the 480
Thermals still worse than what ATI has
$499

Of course pulled down. Though, read some user comments about the same, seems a refresh of the GTX480, but it seems to be at par and surpassing (in some benchmarks) to the HD5970 which is impressive being single cored.

Depends on the pricing and thermal envelope. The war is on.

@Stalker:

Were you able to read the review..?

asingh said:
Of course pulled down. Though, read some user comments about the same, seems a refresh of the GTX480, but it seems to be at par and surpassing (in some benchmarks) to the HD5970 which is impressive being single cored.

@Stalker:
Were you able to read the review..?

Yup.. clicked through to the link in OP just after it was posted

asingh said:

Considering that AMD has in recent times always considered the singe GPU parts as their mid range cards and the Dual GPU parts as the high end, the HD5970 was always targeted as the competition for GTX480. GTX580 is obviously expected to be on par with HD6990 (what ever is the Dual GPU series in HD6xxx series) and exceed it to be considered impressive. being on par with HD5970 is good, but its not impressive to me.

It is still monday in santa clara, the time there now is 10pm.. All reviews will be up @ 6AM PDT i.e 7:30pm in india :)
Lord Nemesis said:
Considering that AMD has in recent times always considered the singe GPU parts as their mid range cards and the Dual GPU parts as the high end, the HD5970 was always targeted as the competition for GTX480. GTX580 is obviously expected to be on par with HD6990 (what ever is the Dual GPU series in HD6xxx series) and exceed it to be considered impressive. being on par with HD5970 is good, but its not impressive to me.

I'm expecting GTX 580 to be on par or little faster than HD6970. I heard from other forum members after they have seen TPU reviews that GTX 580 wasn't able to beat HD5970 let alone HD6990..:)

Lord Nemesis said:
I doubt this part will top the new 6 series dual GPU. As it always is with new releases they beat each other in some games/benchmarks and loose out respectively too. But yes you are correct -- regarding the positioning vs. ATI/AMD. Though this offering will give consumers a better option vs. red dual accelerators which are going through hell cause of drivers/game scaling.

techpowerup review @ 1920 the 5970 is overall 2% faster than 580. Its pretty good performance from 580, 500$ card equal to a 700-1000$ card. Its going to see a little more with newer drivers. nvidia has caught amd totally by suprise with this one all the hoo haa about cayman and now people are wondering if its going to be able to beat this. Antilles is going to be amd's next dual gpu monster to beat this but with this out im sure nvidia are working on a combination to take that on as well.

Zloyd said:
techpowerup review @ 1920 the 5970 is overall 2% faster than 580. Its pretty good performance from 580, 500$ card equal to a 700-1000$ card. Its going to see a little more with newer drivers. nvidia has caught amd totally by suprise with this one all the hoo haa about cayman and now people are wondering if its going to be able to beat this. Antilles is going to be amd's next dual gpu monster to beat this but with this out im sure nvidia are working on a combination to take that on as well.

I already see a Sapphire HD5970 at $499 ($469 after mail in rebate) on newegg. Don't forget that AMD can easily reduce prices of previous gen cards (without straining themselves like nVidia had to with the GTX 2xx series) or even introduce a HD6870 based Dual GPU card at a sub $500 price. If nVidia does not have a convincing performance to match the price, they would be forced to reduce prices even if they are no position to do so.

I wish they shed some light on "min fps", cause everytime a single GPU solution came out as the "fastest", it still sucked in that aspect when talking HD and beyond. If it was any different this time, then nvidia did good.

And as far as taking down the review goes, if it was not techpowerup - I'd have no trouble believing nvidia made then do it. :p

Back