Graphic Cards Nvidia to release crippled GeForce GTX 460 with 288 Cores !!

Why do they still call it GTX 460. Why not GTX 455 or something. I doubt if it will be priced that lower, as it packs 256 bit memory and has 1GB of GDDR5.

GunnerMania said:
I have a feeling this could replace the 768mb version of GTX460 and will be priced lower.

cheers.
That could be better.

1GB memory will be good for higher resolution.

And most of the dealers in India don't like less that 1GB version of any video card even if it is 9400GT.....:mad:

At under 8K it could be a great card.

Pricing in India will be important cos even a $100 card sells in India more than 8K.....:(

so this is better then 5770 HAWK?

i thought gts450 had 256bit mem. interface, just read in nvidia site that its 128bit :D

msi gts450 cyclone retails ~@ Rs.7500, whats the price of 460se?

EVGA listed it for $179...stupid...

Anyway, it will perform much better than the GTS450 and should be in around the same price range, so good card for people like me stuck with a 19" screen.

@Haddock: It is released to compete with it,but why is everyone so crazy about the hawk? do you guys really care about crazy OC and that 5% extra performance? :p

Alias said:
What does SE stand for? 'Stupid Edition'????
TPU says SUCK EDITION

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rajan1311 said:
but why is everyone so crazy about the hawk? do you guys really care about crazy OC and that 5% extra performance? :p
that only OCers will understand, guess u're not....

@revo: dude, cant you guess that it will not be much cheaper than the GTX 460 768mb version,just by looking at the US price.

@addict: I am no pro overclocker, but what i meant is, whenever a new card is out, people keep on asking "is it faster than the HAWK?", and not "faster than 5770?"...i hope you got my point...

sorry for bumping this up...

rajan1311 said:
@revo: dude, cant you guess that it will not be much cheaper than the GTX 460 768mb version,just by looking at the US price.

Why should I guess.

I asked about availability in India not price.....:mad:

dOm1naTOr said:
Why do they still call it GTX 460. Why not GTX 455 or something. I doubt if it will be priced that lower, as it packs 256 bit memory and has 1GB of GDDR5.
Ya I second that dude. I HATE it when they make these faltu SE editions. Simply becoz it CONFUSES the market too much. In Lammy road more than half these idiots will not know the diff and will keep quoting the price of the SE edition thinking it is the same as the normal edition and that just adds more confusion.

Performance wise though there will be hardly any diff like the 260 192cores and 260 216 cores, there was less than 10% performance diff. The difference could be larger in High resolutions like HD res's. I guess that is why NVIDIA is calling it 460 GTX SE.

From the manufacturing/ marketing angle it does make sense...why let ruined chips go, they are still good, therefore bump up the mem bit ratio, slight lesser clocks and sell. Atleast they are NOT conning ppl into rebranding the 460GTX, like they did with GEForce 440MX chips which were 2 generation old cards and had no "4 series" masala in it, only a Geforce 2 rebranded to sound cool.

If honestly = calling it a SE edition because of screw ups from their side and screw ups always happen. I think it is alright.

A Marketing thought, they ought to have called it 455GTX and underclocked it, they would have made news that these cards can be overclocked to 460 status! similar to the ATI 9500 Pro editions if you recall, though that was a diff scenario.

Back