NZXT Switch 810 Review

NZXT Switch 810 Review

All eye were on NZXT after the mega success of both Phantom & Phantom 410 series of Cases having ushered in a new era of Design & Features.
Following is the review of much anticipated Switch 810, promising the highest quality & a wealth of features inside.
1. Boxing & Package
The boxing is a full black cardboard package. a photo of the case on the front side & the other details & special features on the remaining sides of the box. Styrofoam padding hold the heavy case securely in place while plastic covering helps safeguard the gloss finish & acrylic sheets undamaged. A hole on each side of the box would've been a welcome addition considering the size & weight of the Case.
An assortment of neatly packed screws in individual bags , a few ties & a product manual complete the package
2. The Chassis
Not an Audacious shape to catch an eye, but the Switch simply turns your head with its size & Colour. Not many companies will attempt doing white stuff in today's generation !
It's bigger than any other NZXT case before & can be considered a Super tower, considering that it can support XL-ATX motherboards, has 9 expansion slots & fit inch thick radiators with push-pull config on fans ! ( more on this later.)
There is a peel-off plastic protected transparent side panel which stretched the whole height of the case. The front panel has 2 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0, Mic/Headphone connectors, SD card reader & 2 LEDs. All connectors are concealed on top of the ODD slots inside a flip out cover.
3. Expansion & Cooling
Use the thumb screws to remove the side panel to make your way inside the cabinet. 6 HDD trays in 2 compartments of 3 each which can slide out on a rail. the use of grips on those compartments makes the job easy. both the compartments can be completely removed & a rad can be installed @ the bottom if necessary. 3 ODD slots & an extra slot with a 3.5" to 2.5" metal bracket is a nice addition. This metal bracket is provided with a power & data connection ports to power your hard drive. These ports can however be detached if you feel the need to router the wires in a different manner.
At the rear end, there are 9 expansion slots covered with metal mesh filters. 4 rubber grommetted holes are provided for custom cooling loops.
140mm fans are provided on the front, rear, top sides with an additional fan pivoting off the HDD compartment allowing to control air flow either on RAM slots or onto the GPU. 5 more fans can fit in the Switch as per the spacing given. Fans means dust & NZXT has given Plastic mesh filters @ all possible air inlets in the case. The bottom 2 meshes slide in & out of the case stealthily & are kept in place with a click-clock latch. These can be washed & re-used easily.
The top panel has a sliding window system which either exposes the top side or keeps it shut. This is particularly good since air can be let out easily during operation & the window can be shut once system is powered down. One can even completely remove this cascading panel very easily.
There is space for a triple 140mm radiator on top of the chassis as well as a double 120mm on the bottom if the HDD cage is removed. There is enough space for multiple Reservoirs & Pumps too !! The Top radiator can be fit with fans in push-pull config. The rad & push fans will be seen inside the cabinet while the pull fans fit perfectly in the top panel.

4. Ease of Use & Installation.
With loads of space for everything inside this case is a charm to work with. While Full ATX board look tiny in this case, Motherboards up to XL-ATX, SSI-EEB fit on the tray easily. Motherboard installation is easy with use of spacers & screws. Rubber bushings help keep the PSU vibration free after installation. HDD installation is tool less inside the HDD cage. just slide in the HDD from the back side & it's ready. ODD installation is equally easy. Just slide in, align the hole & the clip fits perfectly. GPUs of all sizes will fit in easily without any mods. There is ample space for Wire management @ the back with almost 2cm of space available for the same .

5. A Special mention
This Tower is called SWITCH for a reason !!
Probably everything on the panels, either front or top can literally be Switched to whatever you want !! Obviously proper cutting of required panels would be needed. The Front panel is made of 5 different sub-panels, the top panel made of 3 different sub-panels !! Paint it, Change it, Mod it, there is room for many combinations if 1 wishes. Obviously this also means you will be harbouring a barrage of screws once fully opened. Almost 50 screws came out of the cabinet having being opened completely. A few snaps will actually demonstrate this fact more easily than words can convey.
There is a mechanism for attaching upto 6 fans on a single power source which is given on the back side of the Motherboard tray. Just slot in the 3 pin connector on the chip, power it by a single molex & you are good to go !
There are 2 LEDs, 1 right beneath the rear fan & the other just above the I/O panel which light up on power on. There is a switch on the Front panel which controls these LEDs. It's a small nice touch given that the Cabinet lights up sufficiently if powered.
6. Conclusion
i. A Good Super tower with plenty of features to look for.
ii. Support up to XL-ATX, SSI-EEB for mounting.
iii. Support for multiple Liquid Cooling Loops
iv. Plastic usage is more than expected. Some metal could've helped though weight factor has been kept in control.

v. Comes @ a good price point in comparison to other competitors.
vi. Very comfortable for modders to work around the case.
vii. A good Competitive Product.

Special Thanks to PrimeABGB for allowing me to handle the Case. Actually I might have been one of the early birds to lay my hands on this in the whole of India. The fact that this review comes so late doesn't support that cause ! :p

some snaps-
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd....x720/205334_10151148935639623_450987240_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....720/549471_10151148935934623_1102470947_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd....720x720/381_10151148936204623_289377948_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd....x720/529055_10151148936659623_684258692_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd....720/480479_10151148937684623_1979106026_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd....720/480479_10151148937684623_1979106026_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd....720/480810_10151148936934623_1390496696_n.jpg

I feel OP has copy-pasted this review from another site.

Just a suspicion because of the following statements [in review] --
A few snaps will actually demonstrate this fact more easily than words can convey.

If OP can demonstrate 'these snaps' then I am willing to redact my statement without any prejudice.

I feel OP has copy-pasted this review from another site.

Just a suspicion because of the following statements [in review] --

If OP can demonstrate 'these snaps' then I am willing to redact my statement without any prejudice.

well i added the text reviews, forgot to add snaps & off i went to Ladakh. i am back & here are the snaps.. i have added external links

Screech - Could you tell us a little bit more about

1] Which PSU did you use on this system ?
2] Did you have to use "extension cables" - as this is an extra large case (eg. NZXT's Premium Sleeved Extension Cables) for more efficient cabling ?
3] How easy is it to shift or turn or move this cabby (when fully loaded) - NZXT has overlooked this fact by not providing any notches at the sides ?

I went through your review - however, I found it to be more of a report on What all is possible about this case (just a review of the case per-se) and NOT what was actually used or tried out (i.e the actual components installed)....... or did I miss something from your review ?

I understand that there are infinite possibilities of experimenting with all sort's of devices - especially in the "Cooling" aspect or even with multiple GPU cards or attachment of SSD's & HDD's.

this is a extra large Case & almost all PSUs which include Corsair TX/HX 650/750, Tagan Stone Rock 600W, Silverstone Strider 600W did fit inside the case with no need for extension cables.
the only problem could be the usage of the 8pin ATX cables which sometimes fall short especially if routing through the back of the board. the top slot of ODD try might not be reachable with some PSUs.
The cabinet is heavy & yes its a bit difficult to move it around when fully loaded or even otherwise.'
fan noise is tolerable with built in fans. obviously its upto personal choice upon fan noise. adding more fans definitely adds up the moise & gives a whine if high rpm fans r used. for me it was perfectly audible but not disturbing. if you put on your ceiling fan, almost all cabinet noise will be eliminated !

Back