O2 Stealth or P990i

Brendon

Skilled
Hi guys, I am posting this on behalf of my friend. He has a budget of 13k and he wants to buy a touch screen phone with an OS. He is stuck between the O2 Stealth and the P990i. Both cost abt 13k in Grey.

So which phone should he go for.

Please dont recommend any phone beyond 14k. I forced him to up his budget from 10k. :ashamed:

the thing going for the stealth is only tht its a WM phone..but the price has come down bcos its WM5...WM6 phones are already in the market...;) besides, the stealth has a smallish 2.4inch screen..now thts not a very good thing for a touch capable phone..:no:

the P990i is a very good phone indeed...it has a fairly big 2.7 inch screen..is definitely faster than n73...using both(my sis' got the n73me recently)...anybody can tell the difference in speed easily...n tht too after the latest fw update of the n73..;)

But uiq3 has its fair share of problems as well..its not the most favored platform for software developers...so u'll hardly find good free stuff for the uiq3(tht is, legal stuff...;) its a different story with ahem stuff though..check out the torrents..:p)...and then thrs the memory leak issue(which can be corrected by apps like swiss manager to an extent)...i will not say tht p990i is the perfect phone, but i'm highly satisfied with its performance..ppl on the net crib a lot about the fw flaws which SE is so fond of.., but with the last fw update, it works like a charm...:D

battery back up is awesome for a phone this size, the speakers cud have been much better though...

All in all, i think, at the current grey prize of 13.2-13.5k, its a gr8 buy..!!

I'd still advice you to go with the Stealth.

It's not the best WM phone out there, but it's still better than a P990i, simply beacuse WM offers more apps than UIQ v3 prolly ever will.

It's got a 416MHz processor and the 2.4" screen isn't that difficult to work on. Most of the other devices like the Touch and K-JAM offer 2.8" - 2.7".It still supports a 320x240 native resolution. Don't give into the size of the screen too much. I've used it and it aint that big a deal.

@ Private Ryan... no offence there... just my opinion ;)

^ Oh no..not offended at all..:p i'm an unbiased guy...and evn though i own the p990i, i know it has flaws..more so, its the problem with the uiq3 and SE's FWs for the phone ;)...so pointed them out in the above post..:) And WM is sure better than uiq3 anyday..

^^yes it is quite fast.. Not more than a 1 sec lag while opening apps..

And Windows Mobile, i agree will give u more third party options than Symbian UIQ.. Only keep in mind that battery life on a WM phone (and esp an O2 phone) won't be as great as a p990i.. U may have to charge it every second day, that too with normal usage..

I need to charge my Atom Exec every night (i usually take it out of the cradle early in the morning) though thats due to high usage of BT n WiFi... Other than that the Stealth would be gr8..

The 14k with warranty on rediff seems like it is a dealers warranty rather than a manufacturers warranty. Hmm also there is quite a size diff between P990i & the Stealth.

A few questions however - Will upgrading the firmware yourself void the warranty on the P990i ?

My friends second phone was a P800 & he just loved the phone irrespective of the weight & size. Does the P990i have the same screen size ?

Do any P990i owners regret buying this phone due to lack of third party apps or are you more or less satisfied with the legal free ware around ? I doubt my friend will put too many apps on his phone though.

Just a question, does Alfa have a grey market price for all phones, or only for the phones where they have mentioned the grey market price.

BF1983 said:
A few questions however - Will upgrading the firmware yourself void the warranty on the P990i ?

My friends second phone was a P800 & he just loved the phone irrespective of the weight & size. Does the P990i have the same screen size ?

Do any P990i owners regret buying this phone due to lack of third party apps or are you more or less satisfied with the legal free ware around ? I doubt my friend will put too many apps on his phone though.
1. No, as long as you follow their procedure for upgrading firmware.ie. using Sony Ericsson Update Service(SEUS).
Trying to upgrade using any other uncertified software/using a hacked 3rd party firmware etc. will void the warranty.
2. The P990i has a screen size of 41x56mm (2.67" diagonal)
3. You may be disappointed if you dont know where to look for the apps and how to get it. ;)

BF1983 said:
Just a question, does Alfa have a grey market price for all phones, or only for the phones where they have mentioned the grey market price.
No, only for the models tht they deliberately mention.

Back