CPU/Mobo OEM processors?

hello all,

i searched the forums but could not find any info on OEM processors.
I found a guy on ebay selling an OEM i5 3550S for around 10k. He says its brand new OEM tray processor without heat sink and fan and he will give warranty for 1 year. But i cannot claim warranty directly from intel, will have to claim warranty from seller who will forward it to Intel. This guy is new and sold less than 10 processors (i5s, i7s sandy bridge and ivy bridge). I thought he was a plain fraud.
But he has positive feedback! could he have forged the feedback by using own fake accounts? he would have lost final value fee and paisapay fees. Also 3550s is realesed Q2 2012 so it cant be old.
I am tempted to try.
What about paisapay guarantee? if i get a processor and it doesnt work, what will happen? i guess i can say product not working and return to sender and get refund.
but if it stops working after 1 month what option do i have? any way to check if the processor is genuine and unused?

Is this kind of thing true or is he just making a big fool out of me?

What is the eBay link?

AFAIK these OEM processors are sold to the PC manufacturers such as HP, Dell etc. without Intel's proprietary heatsink-fan and the warranty is for the entire system, (that is pretty much obvious I guess) not the standard 3-year warranty from Intel. Besides, Intel will not honor the warranty for a tray processor from a consumer - they will direct you to your system manufacturer. So in this case, that will be a moot point.

If your processor is DOA, you could raise a dispute with eBay and get a refund. If it stops working after a certain period, the eBay dealer will have to help you out.

Processors - How to identify a boxed vs. an OEM processor

If you buy any OEM processor, you will lose the original Intel 3 year warranty.

I found a guy on ebay selling an OEM i5 3550S for around 10k. He says its brand new OEM tray processor without heat sink and fan and he will give warranty for 1 year.

but if it stops working after 1 month what option do i have? any way to check if the processor is genuine and unused?

@d6bmg I think OP is aware of it.

For checking whether the processor is genuine OR not I think we have a similar query here -- Did intel's cpu have the only cpu serial number of identity attributes?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if its DOA then you can do paisepay claim.

But processor isn't DOA & works perfectly. there are high chances that it will keep on working for years to come. I think processors rarely go bad but buying a CPU without warranty is still a risk.

so decide accordingly ;)

What is the eBay link?
If your processor is DOA, you could raise a dispute with eBay and get a refund. If it stops working after a certain period, the eBay dealer will have to help you out.

that is the only thing holding me back. if i was sure of one year warranty then i would have jumped on a 14k processor for 10k.
I'll be lost if the buyer refuses to help. has only 6 feedback and registered two months ago. he could close shop tomorrow. If he had 100feedback or so i would have taken the risk.

the seller is bhaskarbrbcomputers. lost the link, will post soon.

Well, if its DOA then you can do paisepay claim.

But processor isn't DOA & works perfectly. there are high chances that it will keep on working for years to come. I think processors rarely go bad but buying a CPU without warranty is still a risk.

if its DOA then im safe. Right? Can ebay or the buyer circle around the thing and put the blame on me?

What are the chances according to you of processor going bust within a year, after working well for a few days.

Has anyone used such OEM processors? If there is such a price difference then shouldnt they be more common?

would also like the views of #ALPHA17

EDIT: found the link:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/BRAND-NEW-OE...re-i7-3770-Processor-3-4GHZ-USA-/261073902298

he has listed a 3770 for 13k now

@guptavis to tag people, it is @<followed by their ID>.

Any specific reason for going with a Eco-power processor?

Because I feel the standard Core i5 3550 which is available locally is a better deal, at a ~2500/- INR increase in price you get direct support from Intel and no hassles dealing with an unknown party.

In the end it is your choice, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
guptavis to tag people, it is @<followed by their ID>.

Any specific reason for going with a Eco-power processor?

Because I feel the standard Core i5 3550 which is available locally is a better deal, at a ~2500/- INR increase in price you get direct support from Intel and no hassles dealing with an unknown party.

In the end it is your choice, Cheerio!!

Thanks Alpha17, i thought it was #username

Eco-series is only because that is available with him.
Even i have realised its too much of a risk.
i'd rather take an i5-2400 etc for the same price and have peace of mind. Would really feel bad if something goes wrong and 10k is wasted after couple of months.

BTW, i was only tempted because i was getting a very good deal. For my usage i think even an i3-2100 would be sufficient! (would prefer something from AMD though, Trinity where are you?)
Made up my mind against the OEM processor now. But at least i learned something new starting this thread. :)

BTW, i was only tempted because i was getting a very good deal. For my usage i think even an i3-2100 would be sufficient! (would prefer something from AMD though, Trinity where are you?)

Trinity has got delayed to October release I believe. It is just a rumor as of now, if everything carries through fine then we will see desktop Trinity chips sometime in August --September.

Back