Android Office App that opens files in read-only mode ?

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Looking for an office app i.e. app that opens .docx, .xlsx files, in read-only mode.

Something like how google drive opens a file in a reader mode. However Google drive works for drive alone, and I'm looking to extend that sort of functionality to gmail's attachments.

Current options like Google docs/sheets straightaway switch to an editor mode and tapping through the doc ends up making unwanted changes.

But, Google docs does not go into editor mode until you press the blue edit FAB(floating action button). Till then, it is in reader mode. Checked just now. You may be using an older version(?)
Oops just checked, looks like you're right. Seems like they just added it to the latest version. Will see if this works. Thanks :)
Google sheets though doesn't seem to have adapted this nifty touch.

Yeah tried the MS office apps too, and the read-only limitation seemed quite helpful, except it kept flashing a big warning in the menu bar to sign in, each time you opened a doc.
That and the fact that its a bit heavy (100MB+ for Word alone!) and slow to start, made me reluctantly push it to the side.

Back