Office Data / File sharing CPU with 9-15 Computers

Dear Member, waiting for your recommendation for the below requirements;
Small Office consisting of 9-15 Computers (includes 2-5Laptops), All Data / Files stored in One Computer
Data of : Tally Data, Multi User Custom Software, Excel Word etc [Not Images or Videos]

1. Os Edition : Win 7 or Win 10 or Win 11 ?

2. Processsor : i3 or i5 ?

3. SSD : 1TB NVMe + 1TB SATA is Good ?

4. Any Other recommendations

5. Will Any Performance Difference with 100mbp or GByte Switch ?

Last edited:
smart option is to use your tally on cloud with AWS ,and go office 365 and show it in your expenses you will be very happy spend some money on good internet if possible than SME firewall

At least Windows 10, because security updates would be crucial in this scenario. If it's a modern system with DDR5, then Windows 11.

You'll want at least four cores, so that the system can process Windows updates without slowing down or hindering it's main role as a network store.

SATA should be okay but if the budget allows for a NVMe with higher IOPS, that may be better considering the use case is networked users accessing smaller files.

System should have a seperate UPS and a higher wattage power supply, 750W or more, for stability during voltage spikes and fluctuations that the UPS might not filter.

Hourly backups on an external drive would also be a good idea. Along with a daily cloud based backup like Google Drive. This way you'll have three copies of the data.

At least Windows 10, because security updates would be crucial in this scenario. If it's a modern system with DDR5, then Windows 11.

You'll want at least four cores, so that the system can process Windows updates without slowing down or hindering it's main role as a network store.

SATA should be okay but if the budget allows for a NVMe with higher IOPS, that may be better considering the use case is networked users accessing smaller files.

System should have a seperate UPS and a higher wattage power supply, 750W or more, for stability during voltage spikes and fluctuations that the UPS might not filter.

Hourly backups on an external drive would also be a good idea. Along with a daily cloud based backup like Google Drive. This way you'll have three copies of the data.
Requested Tip of "Drive Sharing Settings for Network Performance"

@rsaeon Good points TBH.
This is why I was planning to buy your 3rd gen i5 but alas the mobo I have has shitty BIOS support for nvme as explained.

Anyways just wanted to say to OP that as of now I'm using a cheap old AMD A6 laptop with 4GB RAM to share drives connected to it over network. It's weak but fine for home use.
It has Windows Server 2022 installed and it's setup as a file server. You can use Windows 10/11 too but I wouldn't for a server.
Also Gigabit LAN is a minimum requirement unless you want your R/W speeds to be just 10MBps max.

Last edited:
Hey.

1. Windows 10 at the very least, and if your hardware supports it then Windows 11.
2. I never recommend i3's, i5 should be the least, unless you are going brand new 12/13th gen in which case i3 is good enough.
3. why 1Tb nvme + 1TB Sata? either get 2TB SATA or 2TB NVME, you don't need both types, or better yet if you have a system that can take 2 NVME SSDs you can do RAID-1 on it so your data is safe (RAID is not Backup)
4. minimum 1Gig networking, You will have issues on a 100mbps network, it will be a bottleneck.
+ everything @rsaeon said.

if you stick to be on prem pickup a ryzen 3600 etc many are up for sale on TE get b450 or B550 motherboard (with two NVME m2 slot and inbuilt wifi 6e cards already there) . instead of sticking to wired networking purchase a wifi 6E router .connect your server to network over wifi 6e connection (ghz band) .other office users could connect over 5 ghz band or 2.4 ghz band.

one part that you are missing is 16 gb ram is must ,network congestion directly relates to availability of free ram. if you are facing some network slowness right now with existing system than check the ram usage on source and destination.

Last edited:
smart option is to use your tally on cloud

This is probably the easiest option — having it on a cloud service somewhere means you only need to maintain a working internet connection on your end. And maybe a daily backup that's done at the end of the day.

Maybe some kind of cloud drive that allows simultaneous access to the number of users you have?

This is probably the easiest option — having it on a cloud service somewhere means you only need to maintain a working internet connection on your end. And maybe a daily backup that's done at the end of the day.

Maybe some kind of cloud drive that allows simultaneous access to the number of users you have?
if he goes tally on AWS and goes with office 365 subscription for SME doesnt have to worry about sharing drive on network .gets one drive directly and teams for inter office communication and external meetings .Completely changes how you work multi user excel etc .

people might say 10 hajar ka router le liya .tell them to buzz off ,get dual wan router with wifi 6e you will be very happy you will easily get rebate on GST for upfront purchase and during yearly P & L show TALLY on AWS and microsoft bills as your expenditure to run the business resulting in benefits on taxation .So a better experience without maintaining servers backups and all the non -sense good router and internet is what you need

Small Office consisting of 9-15 Computers (includes 2-5Laptops), All Data / Files stored in One Computer
Data of : Tally Data, Multi User Custom Software, Excel Word etc [Not Images or Videos]

I am assuming this is not RDS

Windows 10 at very least. Ideally, 11. If you want to use 7 still, I would advice to do some extreme lockdowns

i3 will be enough but if older machines, take i5. This is because the i3 has low base clocks ad/or no turbo

For your use case either is fine. I would suggest SATA over NVME as it would be cheaper and more compatible.

If you want to run Tally on RDS, remember TVU limitations.

1GbE switch minimum. 100M will create bottlenecks when large data transfers occur.
smart option is to use your tally on cloud with AWS ,and go office 365 and show it in your expenses you will be very happy spend some money on good internet if possible than SME firewall

Also, Tally's TVU limitations kick in with this. Windows SPLA licensing may also kick in.

And rather than AWS, there are better cheaper and equally good vendors for Tally on Cloud.

Thanks to All Members, Everyone is working on Physical LAN, Major Work of the Server is Files Sharing (Data of Word, excel, SQL etc)

Back