Offline Browsing

ismart

Disciple
In this country loadsheding and power failure is common.During net session power fails and comuter shut down.All offline files/pages stored in internet temp folder are no longer available and deleted automatically.This case is common in WIN XP,which i am using.In win98 only current net session files are deleted.PLZ helpe me,so my pages should be available for work offline.

^ a simple suggestion : if you can afford , pls use a good quality ups for your pc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also need help in using offline browsing with firefox 1.5.0.1

I have enabled history for 2 weeks .
When I check the "Work offline" switch in the menu and try to visit any page from the history or type its address in the address-bar, an error message appears that Firefox is currently in offline mode and can't browse the Web .
And I am using win98 SE .

thanks
seshu

Firefox developers are working on a new bookmark/history system called Places which does support offline browsing. This was planned for v 2.0, to be released in a few months. but it still needs too much development. So it's been delayed probably to v 3.0. There are development builds available, badged Minefield 3.0a1. If you're an advanced user, who doesn't mind messing with buggy Alpha software, you could try that.

^ Thanks for the response . now I have installed Firefox 1.5.0.3 and it is some what better in offline browsing of its cache .

The problem is that browser history is in no way related to the ability for you to browse offline content. In order to view the website offline, the entire website must have been stored locally, not just the URL.

In order to do what you propose, one of two things must be true:
1.) The page has been stored in your browser cache, which has not been purged.
2.) You must have saved the webpage to your hard drive while online.

To see what's in your Firefox browser cache, type about:cache into the address bar. Memory cache is lost when you close the browser, so the webpage needs to be saved in Disk Cache Device. Make sure that Firefox is not set to clear your cache on exit, and that you don't have any other programs that perform that type of cleanup. You can adjust the size of the Firefox browser cache by typing about:config into the address bar, then double-clicking browser.cache.disk.capacity.

Back