Old Desktop as Network Storage

Has any one tried chrome os on desktop? Can we install it??
Yes, you can (Chrome OS Flex) but don't expect it to be a full fledged linux environment. It's basically a web browser and some capabilities of installing android apps that's it. It can run linux in chroot but I'm not a fan of that.

OP - Simplest way is samba then dlna (this will segregate your files). OS is your choice as per hardware. VLC should be able to connect via samba and play natively. My tv's native media player does not support samba and plays through dlna.

I think you should take Gaurav's advice. I'm running omv headless on raspberry pi 4 1gb for same use case. You can build on it (docker and plugins) to take it further (UI and stuff). Lots of youtube videos online for every level. If you go this route do post for everyone.

Thanks. I simply shared the folder and playing through VLC on TV for now.

I was very close to using Jellyfin. But wondering how much power it will consume.

You can install kodi on the PC and enable SMB. It will adverstise all shares over the network and another kodi or any such front end can access the media. I personally have a server running unraid and its a great option if you're looking to have something flexible and for the long run.

Back