Budget 31-40k Old Mobo died - Need to get Mobo+CPU+RAM+Cabinet

fractal

Disciple

My old Mobo died. I need to buy a CPU+Mobo+RAM combo. Rest of the components (SSD, HDD, Display, SMPS etc) are working fine and will not be upgraded now.

1. What is your budget?
    • 25-40K
  2. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Samsung 1080p
    • PSU - Corsair CV550
    • WD Blue 500GB Sata SSD
    • Samsung 2TB HDD
  3. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel I5 12400
    • Motherboard - Asus H610
    • GPU - Not planned
    • RAM - two sticks of Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB
    • Cabinet - not decided, should have decent cable management; Can use my current case also for now and upgrade later
  4. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Plan to upgrade display to 4K after 6 months
    • SSD upgrade to NVMe (Mobo should support)
  5. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore SP Road
    • Open to online purchase
  6. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies (should be able to watch 4K movies without extra GPU)
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None - open to AMD or Intel but I think Intel may be better for my use case
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1080p (but plan to upgrade display)
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux - Ubuntu (primary and daily usage)
    • Will have another SSD with Windows 10 for occasional usage

I would suggest following -
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4 13th and 12th Gen Intel Motherboard (13k).
    • It supports 12400 and you can upgrade to better 13th gen processor in future, also has quad dimm slots.
  • RAM - 2 x Corsair VENGEANCE LPX Series 8GB (8GBX1) DDR4 3600MHz Black Memory CMK8GX4M1Z3600C18. (5.6k).
    • Above motherboard supports 3600 Mhz RAM speed.

My old Mobo died. I need to buy a CPU+Mobo+RAM combo. Rest of the components (SSD, HDD, Display, SMPS etc) are working fine and will not be upgraded now.

1. What is your budget?
    • 25-40K
  2. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Samsung 1080p
    • PSU - Corsair CV550
    • WD Blue 500GB Sata SSD
    • Samsung 2TB HDD
  3. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Intel I5 12400
    • Motherboard - Asus H610
    • GPU - Not planned
    • RAM - two sticks of Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB
    • Cabinet - not decided, should have decent cable management; Can use my current case also for now and upgrade later
  4. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Plan to upgrade display to 4K after 6 months
    • SSD upgrade to NVMe (Mobo should support)
  5. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore SP Road
    • Open to online purchase
  6. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • Watching HD movies (should be able to watch 4K movies without extra GPU)
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None - open to AMD or Intel but I think Intel may be better for my use case
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • No gaming
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Desktop - 1080p (but plan to upgrade display)
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • No
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Linux - Ubuntu (primary and daily usage)
    • Will have another SSD with Windows 10 for occasional usage
Why 12400? You could settle for an i3 12100, which would tick all your requirements and get the job done for much cheaper. 4k videos is not too strenuous on today's iGPUs, so you can do away with an i3.
Or consider AMD, since it's cheaper-
Ryzen 5 5600G-13k
Gigabyte B550-8.5k(or B450, about 2k cheaper)
2x8GB DDR4 3200 C16-4.1K
Cabinet- Ant Esports ICE 110-3.1K

What was the Motherboard that died?
What CPU were you using?
Was the performance enough for your daily use, or were you already on the verge of upgrading due to limitations?

Since there does not seem to be any gaming involved, and the new hardware might be a significant upgrade (albeit not strictly necessary depending on the use case), the above information may help us suggest a better combination of hardware, resulting in better value for your money.

A decent quad-core with modern iGPU and a 4k60 DP/HDMI out on the motherboard might serve you well.
Something like the 5300G (if you can get hold of it) on a half decent A520 board might be more than enough.

What was the Motherboard that died?
What CPU were you using?
Was the performance enough for your daily use, or were you already on the verge of upgrading due to limitations?
I was using Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H with a Athlon X2 4400. It was about 10 years old and required an upgrade anyway.
It was barely usable running Linux with XFCE desktop (Zorin Lite), a SSD and 8GB RAM

Last edited:
I agree with @DestGod that you don't seem to really need the i5, but if your upgrade cycle is that long, IMO it's worth it to get at least the mid-range of the generation, if not one class above. I also agree that you should probably consider AMD - the 5600G has basically identical power consumption to the 12400, and is slightly less performant (~10%), but makes up for it by having a much stronger GPU. Both will handle 4K playback without issues, but if you do end up needing some GPU power every now and then, you're probably better off with AMD, especially since it's cheaper. Not to mention that IIRC, AMD's entry level motherboards are better than Intel's and their B-series is better than both.

I think the most convincing reason to go Intel would be platform/socket longevity, but again, if your upgrade cycle is that long, that won't matter since they'll both have moved on by then anyhow.

I was using Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H with a Athlon X2 4400. It was about 10 years old and required an upgrade anyway.
It was barely usable running Linux with XFCE desktop (Zorin Lite), a SSD and 8GB RAM
If the upgrade was due, and your upgrade cycle is long, then it would be suitable to build a machine that is slightly over-spec for now so that it can serve you well for ages.
A good quality motherboard with a reasonably high core count CPU would be good.

A budget split of 8K Motherboard, 20K CPU, ~5K RAM might be suitable.
A520 Board + 5700G + 16GiB DDR4-3200 can be a config that you shoot at for long term viability.

Alternatively, H610 Board, 13400 CPU, 16Gib DDR4-3200 may also be an option (might be slightly costlier, but the CPU capability is higher with 6 P Cores and 4 E Cores - total 16 threads)

Don't go for the lowest tier motherboards, get slightly better ones for improved VRM design and reliability.

I think the most convincing reason to go Intel would be platform/socket longevity, but again, if your upgrade cycle is that long, that won't matter since they'll both have moved on by then anyhow.
Socket longevity? Intel?

Socket longevity? Intel?
Ah, sorry, should have clarified: Ryzen 5 is the last gen supported by AM4, while LGA1700 has 13th gen in addition to the 12th gen that was being suggested, so it technically has more of an upgrade path. But yeah, "longevity" was the wrong word to use for that.

Back