free space.jpg
marked out the hibernation file
see the huge gap in reported usage
removed all restore points except last
page file sent to D-drive
changed dump file directory
ran disk cleanup
no joy pleaaaaase help

Its strange that your leftmost picture shows ~ 22 gb in C drive of 50 Gb size, while the right ones show only 557 mb free space left, used space 49 Gb. Do you have hidden files that are not seen by treesize. In my case, the used space by treesize and windows explorer are the same.

Try compressing the drive, it will free up some space, may be 4-5 gb.

Its strange that your leftmost picture shows ~ 22 gb in C drive of 50 Gb size, while the right ones show only 557 mb free space left, used space 49 Gb. Do you have hidden files that are not seen by treesize. In my case, the used space by treesize and windows explorer are the same.

Try compressing the drive, it will free up some space, may be 4-5 gb.
That's what worries me treesize reported usage of 22gb tallies with what I get if I make all files including hidden and system file visible then select all and use properties.........but explorer says usage ~49gb
Not Page file not hibernate file so what's causing the anomaly???
Anyidea whattype of files are not seeing treesize???
Thanks for the reply andwill tryout the two suggested softwares :)

See the temp directory of chrome and also if you are using picasa it generates lots of thumbnails. If you do not use any USB devices you can delete drive store folder. Use space Sniffer software to see any unknown large files.

okay solved half the problem
from the mysterious 49-21=28gb of missing space got back 12gb
the lappy had a SW from the manufacturer for restore (like norton ghost but less features) also win 7 own restore.....
Turned them both off, restarted and then took a snapshot using the custom restore SW....don't know how it worked but freed up 12gb :)
but still looking for the other half (treesize give 21gb explorer says 36gb usage) thanks for all the help

Back