CPU/Mobo Old rig got under Mobo Malfunction, need suggestions on fix/upgrade

ankur1211

Disciple
Some pre requisites :

Usage - Music/DJing related creative work, Not going to use even 5% for gaming.
Preference - 6 or 8 cores I guess, but I see a lot about P & E cores, haven't experienced real usage so might need your inputs based on experiences.
Audio is not a problem, shittiest audio support from Mobo is fine with me as I use external Audio Interface.

Usage that I have, utilizes CPU threads. I read in program's forum that it is distributed a track per thread. When Tracks > Threads, they start loading the cores by going multiple tracks per thread. This basically means per core performance would be somewhat importance too. But, I am no Hans Zimmer so not looking for a Submarine of a CPU as well. Preferably, a balance of Octa Core(or something with 16 threads) with a good Cost to Performance ratio. For reference, While going towards the end of the task, CPU was being utilized close to 95-100% and Ram and GPU were still pretty much on the lower side. No intentions of GPU upgrades. RAM upgrades sort of depend on the compatibility of the upgraded built.

Obviously Budget is a constraint and I am no PC or Gaming Enthusiast, I just want to smoothly keep working on the musical stuff.

Need to get an understanding of how it is gonna affect if I am gonna put into my existing setup an AMD CPU + Mobo combo. Also to consider the fact that I have more of a creative usage (Ableton Live, Rekordbox, Adobe Suite etc.) than gaming usage to be precise (Can't remember properly when did I play a game last time :/)

Rig details :
1. Intel I5-7600k - Working, but no Mobo so kinda stuck in a rut here.
2. Mobo - Time to trash it except if someone wants some parts out of it or something similar, or guide me in having some salvage value out of it - MSI Z170a mpower gaming titanium.
3. GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC 8 GB
4. Storage - Sata SSD with OS in it, an extra M2 NVMe with plenty of important files that I cannot lose(Hence need to get an M2 slot for sure). An extra HDD for extra files. One more spare Sata SDD sitting somewhere in home.
5. PSU - MSI MAG series - 1000 or 750 I don't exactly remember
6. Case - Lian Li O11 Air (Brauer edition or something like that)
7. Fans - 9 Sickleflow (Reverse editions for intake, normal ones for exhaust, so the combination lights up the interior of the build always) 120mm ARGB Case fans running via Razer Chroma ARGB controller, 2 80mm Antecs on the back of the case. Was using 3 case fan headers for running 3 fans on each hence all 9 for power, and obviously Razer Chroma handling the flashy part.
8. RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz 1 X 16GB. (Mostly ran on 2666 MHz with XMP on the previous Mobo, wasn't getting stable XMP at 3000 MHz, probably due to CPU Socket pin issue, which finally killed the mobo now)

Here are 3 choices :
1. Get an AntEsports cheap mobo for ~4k. Get a seperate PWM fan controller and we are good to go I believe. This is also the cheapest option, without an upgrade obviously.
2. Find a used decent Mobo that supports i5 -7600k and M2 NVMe as well and has at least 3 Case fan headers maybe, not too rigid on fan headers though. (might still need a fan controller as I don't want them to be running at 100% if I daisy chain and power them through PSU).
3. Upgrade - Intel vs AMD and the compatibility with the rest of the rig, even if it is unstable and allows me to utilize a couple of days of time to take backups of the Work in Progress projects etc. Just arrange different plugins etc. into an external HDD or internal one itself, and basically allows me to go for a clean install right after.

Experts, Please have your say?

Back