Monitors OLED Monitors

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Anyone else looking forward to replacing their current monitors with the upcoming crop of OLEDs? Not talking about TVs being put to use as computer displays rather the actual latest computer monitor models.

Most of the models are gaming grade meaning high refresh rates (240, 360 hz etc) and fancy designs and RGB and what not.

I'm personally looking for cheaper ones like https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Monitor/AORUS-FO32U which is "only" 165 hz refresh and plain looks and design using Samsung's QD-OLED panels.

The official LG (WOLED) and Samsung (QD-OLED) websites still don't have any models/prices listed for India yet. The Gigabyte just lists the QD-OLED models, no pricing or availability yet here.

Review: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2337789/gigabyte-aorus-fo32u2-review.html

My wishlist is a 32 inch 4K UHD model (like the AORUS FO32U) hopefully under ₹80k. What's yours?

the thing is as long as TV's like the C2/C3/C4 120hz are priced under 80k.. 27-32 inch monitors dont make sense.

They only make sense if you wish to do competitive gaming like valorant, cs etc.

Being a current C2 owner who only plays valorant for gaming.. i still think C2 might still be worth it over these newer 240hz monitors.. however 360hz is definetly juicy.

Yeah, if 165Hz 4k one is reasonably cheaper, then it looks like a good choice.

I upgraded from Acer 1440p ips to dell 4k oled and really like it. Glad i went for 32 rather than 27 too, its much better for me.
I am using it for work too with very low brightness (20% initially then kept lowering it and using 3% right now) and other precautions and its perfectly usable because of perfect blacks, even with moderately lighted room. Anti reflection even from this glossy screen works pretty well for me. Don't have any direct light on it so that helps.

Playing rdr2 on it now. Dont think i want to play on ips again. Dark scenes can be stunning, but i knew that from mobile. I also liked the curve initially, now i don't even see it though.

I dont have space for tv + also want to work on it and at this ppi oled text is good too.

@Tracer_Bullet which monitor did you get? The curved alienware one???
the thing is as long as TV's like the C2/C3/C4 120hz are priced under 80k.. 27-32 inch monitors dont make sense.

They only make sense if you wish to do competitive gaming like valorant, cs etc.

Being a current C2 owner who only plays valorant for gaming.. i still think C2 might still be worth it over these newer 240hz monitors.. however 360hz is definetly juicy.

Yeah the TVs are good for gaming but for someone like me (mostly browsing/coding and very little media consumption) they have text rendering/clarity/sharpness issues (I may be wrong) plus I can't handle larger than 32 inch screens.

I believe there's a bunch of people who got an LG 42 inch OLED TV and using as PC display just fine?

I use a TV as a primary monitor. Not interested in OLED TVs, certainly not OLED monitors. I would use a non OLED monitor if I used the display from a short distance but my seating distance is about 9-10 feet so I use a TV. Also personally 60Hz is fine for me. I play some games, some of them online/multiplayer.

Yeah the TVs are good for gaming but for someone like me (mostly browsing/coding and very little media consumption) they have text rendering/clarity/sharpness issues (I may be wrong) plus I can't handle larger than 32 inch screens.

I believe there's a bunch of people who got an LG 42 inch OLED TV and using as PC display just fine?
Don't bother for text at all...
I have tried using my bedroom display as a PC display (LG G2) and also use a portable 13.3 oled for some edge use cases side-by-side with a mini LED laptop.
No discernible diff, if any in text rendering - Photo color rendering is also marginally better on good LCDs

The only place where the OLEDs look noticeably better are HDR videos and games - which.i presume is not a major use case for you

The only place where the OLEDs look noticeably better are HDR videos and games - which.i presume is not a major use case for you

OLED looks gorgeous for dark mode UI as witnessed with my ThinkPad matte OLED display. My current LG IPS monitor is decent in that department but not great.

I've also got my OLED TV hooked up to my PC and yes hardly any discernable text rendering difference.

And yes too to the mini LED display of my office issued MacBook Pro I earlier had looks great but no match for my ThinkPad.

My current asus laptop has a 14" 2.8k oled display, and it looks gorgeous. Everything looks crisp due to the high ppi and 200% scaling, and colors pop because of OLED. I'm a sucker for text clarity, and use 2x 27" 4k monitors on my main pc. Once 27" 4k oleds are available (and at a reasonable price), I'm getting one.

Yeah aw32. Very nice, also has good software control.

Also personally 60Hz is fine for me. I play some games, some of them online/multiplayer.
yeah i thought like this too couple of years back. But freesync/gysnc is a massive change and also 90 is quite a bit smoother visually vs 60.
Once you get used to it, 60 feels sluggish and no freesync is a deal breaker.

for someone like me (mostly browsing/coding and very little media consumption) they have text rendering/clarity/sharpness issues (I may be wrong) plus I can't handle larger than 32 inch screens.
Main use case of oleds is gaming and videos. I work on it because i don't have space for 2 monitors.
It is easier on the eyes once you get used to it i guess with pitch black and ulta low brightness being usable, but i dont think i would switch to oled for that considering cost and burn in risk.

Also mini leds without enough zones will have some blooming.

TV OLED != Monitor OLED

There is difference in the sub pixel structure and the order of the pixels. TV OLED is designed to be watched from the distance in mind, which allows them to do optimizations in the sub pixel level to minimize the cost and allow for energy efficiency. You can use them as PC monitors but it is not their intended use.

OLED monitors will have the correct red green blue sub pixel arrangement for precision work. They will be expensive because the margin for cutting corners is less when the user is very close to the monitor. Advanced color correcting / prevent pixel damage algorithms have to be used at more fine level to compensate the OLED burn in problem.

TV OLED != Monitor OLED

<...>

OLED monitors will have the correct red green blue sub pixel arrangement for precision work.

I believe even the latest bunch of OLED monitors do NOT have the "correct" subpixel layout, at least not matching regular LEDs (IPS whatever) perfectly... If I'm not mistaken sites like TFTCentral.co.uk have some explanation on this (on their YT channel too)... will try to post links here if I can find them again.

This is the older model... newer one is the latest QD-OLED panel and 32 inch -> https://www.dellstore.com/alienware-32-4k-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3225qf.html

TV OLED != Monitor OLED

There is difference in the sub pixel structure and the order of the pixels. TV OLED is designed to be watched from the distance in mind, which allows them to do optimizations in the sub pixel level to minimize the cost and allow for energy efficiency. You can use them as PC monitors but it is not their intended use.

OLED monitors will have the correct red green blue sub pixel arrangement for precision work. They will be expensive because the margin for cutting corners is less when the user is very close to the monitor. Advanced color correcting / prevent pixel damage algorithms have to be used to compensate the OLED burn in problem.
This is incorrect, lot of monitors use LG display WOLED panel with WRGB subpixel arrangement, and QD OLED TVs use RGB. Almost all OLED panels use non standard subpixel structure, causing color fringing on lower ppi displays.

I believe even the latest bunch of OLED monitors do NOT have the "correct" subpixel layout, at least not matching regular LEDs (IPS whatever) perfectly... If I'm not mistaken sites like TFTCentral.co.uk have some explanation on this (on their YT channel too)... will try to post links here if I can find them again.

This is the older model... newer one is the latest QD-OLED panel and 32 inch -> https://www.dellstore.com/alienware-32-4k-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3225qf.html
Ultrawide better I think
Ultrawide better I think and it's cheaper

OLED monitors will have the correct red green blue sub pixel arrangement for precision work.
The only correct pixel arrangement oled monitor I've seen hit the market were the joled panels with rgb layout (LG 32EP950 and 27EP950). The other predominant ones- Samsung QD Oled use triangular rgb (Alienware 32 and 34 inch Oled monitors and ofc smartphones) and LG WOled is as mentioned RWBG.

using happily C3 42" for almost 14 hrs per day and six days a week at least for almost a year now. 99.9% of the time, half of the screen is occupied with visual studio and remaining is mix of other windows like outlook, notepad++, chrome.. all in same location. so far no burn-in whatsoever!!!

As stated, all OLEDs use a non-standard sub-pixel structure.

Samsung QD OLED uses triangular RGB, this is not same as RGB sub-pixel layout & then there is RGBW of LG WOLED. This is why I just bought a TV. I just need a portable desk (something light & foldable) & a wireless KB now to play with KB + mouse on TV.

I purchased LG C3 48" for 89k, happy with the purchase. I wanted 42" but didn't get it. If 32" 1440p OLEDs were like 50k, I would have bought that but at 80k, TV enticed me more. Anyways, I use my 1440p LCD monitor for normal tasks like browsing or mouse + KB games for now (will make changes in few months).

Back