olympus e-520/620 advice needed urgently.

ashokraj

Disciple
Hi! I'm planning to upgrade to a DSLR from a compact. Fortunately I’ve got a friend coming down from the states in a couple of weeks. I've been doing some research( and since I’m on a budget) I’ve narrowed it down Olympus . Now my confusion is:
1. Should I buy a Olympus E-520 2 lens kit ( $500 approx )
2. Go for the e-520 body only and get a used zuiko 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 lens ( $700 approx) ( and maybe add a larger lens later)
3. Go for the e-620 2 lens kit ?( $ 700)

Also, is the noise as big an issue as it is made out to be in the olys.

thanks in advance .

I'd recommend option 3.
High ISO performance and dynamic range have been significantly improved in E-620. The noise can be cleaned up in post processing. Low light AF performance is a bigger issue on the Olympus system. Maybe you can add a FL-36R flash and use its IR light for AF assist in low light conditions.
By the way, even I'm leaning towards the E-620.

even i'm considering getting the e-520 with the 2 kit lens for starters.

will keep a lookout on the answers in this thread.

Well , it started out with me looking for a budget dslr kit and the 520 was rated as a steal at the current price. And , the zuiko kit lenses are supposed to be great. The built in stabilization , size ( esp the 620), are all factors in favour . Also a friend has a 1000D and I'm not all that impressed. Plus I've never been a canon fan. My compact is a panasonic TZ5 , which no canon can beat at the price point.

ashokraj said:
Well , it started out with me looking for a budget dslr kit and the 520 was rated as a steal at the current price. And , the zuiko kit lenses are supposed to be great. The built in stabilization , size ( esp the 620), are all factors in favour . Also a friend has a 1000D and I'm not all that impressed. Plus I've never been a canon fan. My compact is a panasonic TZ5 , which no canon can beat at the price point.

Hmm...
at ur point U r correct...

but so points need to enlightened too...

1> The oly's cams sensor is size is smaller than the APS-C...
[an it seems that they wont be bringing sensor with bigger size]

2> Low light, noise, AF performance is a big issue...

3> Lower end lenses are cheap but higher lenses are expensive that that from canon or nikon..

4> poor service and market in india

But if U had finally decided to stick up with olympus better to go for E-620...

@ OP - If you are going in only for Olympus, then get the E620 and NOT the E520. Why ?

The E520 had some focusing issues which are all gone in the E620.

The E620 has almost as good low ISO performance as its competitors. Noise is no longer a big issue & neither is Dynamic range.

However do note that Olympus has very limited options to grow since you are in India.

Really appreciate all the great feedback guys.

Everyone seems to have some reservations with the olympus system. Future lenses/accessories may not be such a problem as I have cousins in the US and the gulf who visit frequently. Servicing may be a issue , but I don't expect it to give me any problems ( hopefully !). Noise was the only issue worrying me .
But just in case , keeping my options open , what would be your hands down recommendation be at this budget from nikon and canon. ( max of $700 , purchased from the US ) ?

thanks again .

I would not choose anything from Canon or Nikon at that price. I just dont like any of the Canon Rebel cameras and I hate the limited lens selection of the Nikon D40/D60/D5000 series. The better Canon/Nikon cameras are unfortunately a lot more expensive.

For other brands, I can suggest the Pentax K-X which is a really nice camera - Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black): Camera & Photo

You can get the two lens version for about $820. Slightly over your budget but you can get very cheap old Pentax lenses in India which will be image stabilized with the K-X.

Or get the normal kit - Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (White): Camera & Photo

And add a used Pentax 75-300mm lens from the used market in India.

Here is one review - Pentax K-x Digital SLR Review

I really dont like Olympus since they have very small viewfinders. The Pentax has the biggest viewfinder in its class. Bigger than Sony A230, Canon 450D & Nikon D5000.

In Sony, I would not suggest anything as their kit lenses are nothing great. I am a Sony shooter btw.

I would not choose anything from Canon or Nikon at that price. I just dont like any of the Canon Rebel cameras and I hate the limited lens selection of the Nikon D40/D60/D5000 series. The better Canon/Nikon cameras are unfortunately a lot more expensive.

For other brands, I can suggest the Pentax K-X which is a really nice camera - Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL and 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lenses (Black): Camera & Photo

You can get the two lens version for about $820. Slightly over your budget but you can get very cheap old Pentax lenses in India which will be image stabilized with the K-X.

Or get the normal kit - Amazon.com: Pentax K-x 12.4 MP Digital SLR with 2.7-inch LCD and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens (White): Camera & Photo

And add a used Pentax 75-300mm lens from the used market in India.

Here is one review - Pentax K-x Digital SLR Review

I really dont like Olympus since they have very small viewfinders. The Pentax has the biggest viewfinder in its class. Bigger than Sony A230, Canon 450D & Nikon D5000.

In Sony, I would not suggest anything as their kit lenses are nothing great. I am a Sony shooter btw.

Thank you BF1983 for the extensive reply. Was traveling for a few days and could not post a reply.
Your suggestion of the pentax k-x as an alternative to the Olympus was initially dismissed by me. (I’ve never come across a pentax DSLR , though their film cameras were quite good ). But on second thoughts and keeping your experience in mind, I did some research and I think your advice makes plenty of sense. The reviews (there are not that many) were generally quite favorable. The one at photographyblog .com was really positive.
The k-x takes care of the ISO problems of the Olympus , has a equally compact size and the sensor is supposed to be really great. Plus HDR and video (not really essential but useful ,I guess).There's no swivel lcd , but i guess i can live without that .
The only drawback are the AA cells . And there have been a few complaints of battery life. I hope the company has fixed the same.
I think I will go for this camera. Additionally, how are the KIT lenses. Should I go for the 18-55 ,50-200 or the 50-300 kit ? You also mentioned the availability of cheap lenses in Mumbai. Will older lenses be compatible with this camera and will the AF work on all lenses. Also, where I Mumbai can I source these.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Ashok, I am no big expert on Pentax so I wont be of much help to you.

However if you can get the Pentax 55-300mm lens in addition to the 18-55mm lens, then please do so. Its a pretty decent lens with a slightly slow AF.

Also get a nice 50mm f2 lens from Fort (1000 bucks or so) and you should be good to go for most stuff. :)

The problem with the K mount is that since its a very old mount, you will get plenty of lenses that will mount on your K-X but will be purely manual focus. So if you go to Fort bring your camera along and try the lens first.

There are plenty of Pentax lenses but I am not sure whether they were MF or AF lenses.

Thanks BF1983. Any recommended shops in fort for the lens ? I travel to mumbai every couple of months. Also ,should i be looking at buying a external flash ? if yes , Which ( budget) one ?

are pentax products even available here for sale? i wanted to see price of the K200D and try as i might i could not find any dealer.

^^ Nope they are not. :(

The ONLY major DSLR manufacturer not present in India. Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus and even SIGMA are present in India officially but not Pentax.

@OP - Shops keep getting old lenses, its best you check as many as you can. One shop I know had Pentax lenses was Mafsee which is opp to Camera central on the other side of the road.

Back