Olympus E510?

Smith

Skilled
Hows this camera? I saw a couple of reviews and they were pretty favourable, but I dont want to feel any lacking once I buy it. Its currently available for 650$ with the 14-42 and 40-150 lens as a holiday offer.

Should I go for this or should i save up for maybe 4 months and go for something like the 40d or d300?

ps: i am really itching to go for the e510, so if anyone has any inputs, they will be appreciated.

Get it. I haven't heard complaints, except something vague about its sensor size. The 40d is good, but it is overkill for most beginners I'd guess, so the E510 should do. One thing you should take into account is this - once you go and start buying one company, you are going to be stuck with that, so your future upgrades will all have to be Olympus bodies. I know you know this, but what you should do is look at the Olympus model one step up and ask yourself - if I had the money, would I buy this?

Just a thing about 4/3 system. AFAIK there is no crop factor for lenses. Some like it (like me :)) and some dont. Just letting you know.

It seems I was wrong. They seem to have 2x crop factor. Maybe you should confirm. But do keep in mind what Kingkrool suggested.

As KingKrool mentioned, consider future upgrades like accessories, filters, flash, lenses etc. and their availability options with Olympus compared to other brands like Canon, Nikon etc.

Thanks guys,

Well, theres just one upgrade to the e510 right now, thats the e3 and its almost 1700$ for the body only.

The 4/3 format has a 2x crop factor.

It is pretty obvious that the Canon and Nikon brands offer more choice in the market, but the price-performance factor is pulling me towards the olympus.

Both the kit lens are good performers and the camera itself has been reviewed to perform close to the D80. Apparently it also outperforms the other market leaders of the same category (400d and d40x). Another plus about the camera is the in-body IS.

Since this is an entry level / amateur D-SLR, I'm just concerned if spending the 800$ (including case + cf card etc etc) worth the upgrade from a canon S3 or would saving up and going for a more serious camera (40d, d300 league) make more sense?

I'd stick to Canon/Nikon for obvious reasons as mentioned by janitha.

If you can hold out for a while, the new Canon Rebel (i.e. the 450D) will be out soon (prolly Jan) and would make for a great upgrade from the S3 :)

Let me put it this way - don't sneeze at the E510 as being lesser than the 40d etc. It will take you months if not a year or two before you really are capable of harnessing the power of the 350d or e510, let alone the higher end models (most of them have the same image processor, but add other features, megapixels and better high ISO response etc - my take it the base models are good and once you've learnt everything about full manual photography it makes sense to upgrade).

If you wish to get a 400d or 450d instead, that is logical. Dell had an amazing deal on the EOS 400d a little while back. Go check it out.

^ Yes, Dell sells most popular electronics stuff in US - Mainly fast moving things

OT: For now it would be good enough if Dell India gives me good prices for their monitors ;)

Anish said:
I'd stick to Canon/Nikon for obvious reasons as mentioned by janitha.

If you can hold out for a while, the new Canon Rebel (i.e. the 450D) will be out soon (prolly Jan) and would make for a great upgrade from the S3 :)

450D? Interesting. Will wait for PMA '08 and then decide and I hope that the Oly's price wont shoot back up to its original 999$

^ Nope, that wouldn't happen, besides expect a few more models from Nikon also to showup at PMA (Mostly likely the D80 successor), so maybe you can grab a D80 for cheap too!

Back