Omnia 2 launched, not yet available

pa1pa1

Disciple
Hi,

Samsung Omnia 2 had been "launched" on the 27th of October : Samsung Omnia II comes to India - Mobiletor.com

Online stores seem to have it, but most are based outside mumbai, and since mumbai charges 12% VAT while others charge 4%, i am confused as to how it will work out. Besides i dont want to buy such an expensive phone online.

I asked in many stores here in mumbai, none seem to have heard of it.

What the hell does "launched" mean? Does it usually take this long for products to arrive in the market?

:huh::

Why you should go for Omnia HD (i8910) rather than Omnia II..

• Resistive touch is crappy comparted to capacitive
  • 8MP vs 5MP
  • 720p video recording vs 720x480

Though Omnia II has a 800mhz processor vs 600mhz on the Omnia HD, also it runs on WinMo rather than Symbian S60v5.

To get the most out of Omnia HD you'll have to hack the phone and flash it w/ custom firmwares. The official Omnia HD india firmware sucks donkey balls..

..Choose wisely.

Cool, i just found out its avlb here for 29k in one of the shops. finally!!! although i still dont know why almost every other shop doesn't have it yet.

Well, i've only used the symbian OS phones till now, and i want some change. Besides, i'm gonna upgrade it to WinMo 6.5 and also gonna try other custom ROMs. I dont need an 8mp cam, but thanks for the suggestion.

Omnia II is definitely available in stores. I am using it since 1st November. :clap::clap::clap: And it is a great phone. It can do so much more than the over-hyped iPhone!

Size-wise its more compact than the OmniaHD. Screen resolution is also higher. Not to mention the 800mhz CPU. Only its camera capabilities are lesser than the HD. And since you dont need a 8mp cam, your choice should be obvious.

Omnia II is upgradable to Windows Mobile 6.5. The retail box also includes a tv-out cable. You can just drag - n - drop your dvd rips and play them on the omnia II. Xvid and Divx are supported natively.

Go for the Omnia II!

if anybody can help me getting omnia hd here in delhi/noida. i wud be very thankful. i cant get it even after trying at many places.

m0h1t said:
Though Omnia II has a 800mhz processor vs 600mhz on the Omnia HD, also it runs on WinMo rather than Symbian S60v5.
To get the most out of Omnia HD you'll have to hack the phone and flash it w/ custom firmwares. The official Omnia HD india firmware sucks donkey balls..

..Choose wisely.

Isn't that a good thing? that it runs on WinMo instead of Symbian?

WinMo is still better than any other smartphone OS out there especially in terms of flexibility. With the new higher powered procs, they work like a charm. Flashing it with custom roms makes it even sweeter.

well, its good for people used to the symbian interface and a down side for others :p

The reason I like symbian better is availability of lots of apps for it, is it same w/ WinMo as well?

Oh of course! Everything you can think of and more of what you can't think of is available for WinMo.

It is Windows afterall... just like it's desktop counterpart, it has the eye of almost everybody that has ever written any code.

I would highly recommend getting one. I've ben a WinMo user for years and I honesly can't use anything else anymore.

m0h1t said:
well, its good for people used to the symbian interface and a down side for others :p

The reason I like symbian better is availability of lots of apps for it, is it same w/ WinMo as well?

The WinMo 6.1 interface is worse than cow dung. S60v5's interface sucks as well but is leagues ahead of the default WinMo interface. Thankfully, companies like HTC and Sammy know the plight of WinMo users and have created tasty interface shells like TF3D and TouchWiz that pretty much ensure that most users have to rarely interact with the lazy piece of shit WinMo interface underneath.

When it comes to apps, Symbian vs WinMo is like comparing Mac vs Windows. WinMo has the largest number of apps in the smart phone world - probably more than Symbian, iPhone OS and Android combined.

Thanks for enlightening me, will give WinMo a try..

S60v5 also has quite a handful of issues as of now, more so on devices other than those of nokia, like my samsung i8910. Samsung folks didn't do any work on the symbian platform apart from their completely useless TouchWiz homescreen, they just blandly copy pasted everything. Even the samsung PC Studio is a shameful copy of the Nokia PC suite and even carries Nokia Copyright notification in the about section

GSMArena has reviewed the HTC HD2 here: HTC HD2 review: Portrait of a rockstar - GSMArena.com

Excerpt from the conclusion:

The final threat for the HD2 success on the Windows Mobile ring is the more lightweight Samsung I8000 Omnia II, which should definitely be the weapon of choice for all those of you that find the HD2 just too big.

It might not have the brute processing power of the HD2, nor the RAM count, but the actual handling and response are perfect. The 3.7" AMOLED screen, another fully customized UI, huge internal storage, DivX/XviD support out of the box and all kind of software goodies make the I8000 Omnia II a force to be reckoned with in the smartphone field this holiday season. Not to mention it’s got a nicely capable camera and it currently goes for some 150 euro less than the HTC HD2.

There you have it. The above para should help those who are still unsure about the Omnia II.

Back