OnePlus banned from selling phones in India

Stop painting OnePlus as the victim people.
OnePlus knew the exact terms of the CM and Micromax deal before hand. The proof is that OnePlus is never going to sue CM.
Also CM has only a 2 year deal with OnePlus, thus CM would always go for a better deal with MMX
OnePlus knew that without CM there would be few takers for the phone so they decided to go ahead selling phones with CM inspite of knowing that it is illegal.
Now that they have a customer base in India they can roll out their own rom and we indians are going to be the beta testers for their rom

The real fun will begin if CM comes out with a way which prevents users from flashing CM rom on other Indian devices including OnePlus One
7-8 of my friends and colleagues bought this phone. None of them knew what cynogenmod is. I don't think it's as bigger a selling point in India at least.

7-8 of my friends and colleagues bought this phone. None of them knew what cynogenmod is. I don't think it's as bigger a selling point in India at least.
CM and other custom ROMs are known to people who are a bit familiar with or likes customization. For example we have 5-6 android phones in my family but only I know about custom ROM. The rest don't and won't give a crap. They will just buy based on the specs/aesthetic appeal/price.

http://www.gsmarena.com/court_documents_shed_more_light_on_cyanogenoneplus_fiasco-news-10541.php

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/cyngn-oneplus-micromax-the-legal-battle/

As it happens, Cyanogen had a global (except China) non-exclusive deal with OnePlus, that allowed the latter to use Cyanogen OS and branding worldwide. This deal was made in February 1, 2014 and lasts till January 31, 2016.

Despite the presence of this agreement, however, Cyanogen signed an exclusive deal with Micromax for the latter to use its OS and branding on the new YU series of phones in India. This deal conflicts the one Cyanogen already had with OnePlus, and is what caused Micromax to send a cease and desist letter to OnePlus, and the Delhi High Court eventually banning the sales of OnePlus One devices in India.

The problem here, as you can see, is Cyanogen making a second deal while having one in place. Moreover, the company did not intimate OnePlus regarding this (OnePlus found out about it later). The court documents also have email conversations between OnePlus' Carl Pei to Cyanogen CEO Kirt McMaster. In one of the mails, McMaster flatly says "Carl. We will be terminating our relationship with one plus." without giving any particular reason for it. You can read more of the conversations in the source link below.

This is a breach of contract between Cyanogen and OnePlus and we're sure the latter will pursue this in court. But it's rather unfortunate and unprofessional of Cyanogen to throw OnePlus under the bus to sign a deal with Micromax.

CM, Micromax and OnePlus – Sales Ban Lifted
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/cm-micromax-oneplus-sales-ban-lifted/
In what appears to be a major win for common sense, the panel of judges recognised that Micromax positions its devices at around one third of the price of the OnePlus handset (8,000 Rs versus 22,000 Rs), and that they were therefore not in direct competition for the same customers. The judges also stated that it was not correct of the previous individual judge to pass the sales ban without giving time to both sides in the case to file their arguments.

In an interesting development, however, the court set a deadline of two weeks, at which point a written statement against the original claim should be made by both Cyanogen and OnePlus, as they feel a proper debate is necessary on the technical matters of the case, including the software on both devices (as OnePlus had argued the two phones were not running the same software).

In a moment of lighter tone, however, the judgement appears to refer to Cyanogen Inc as a “villain”.

In a moment of lighter tone, however, the judgement appears to refer to Cyanogen Inc as a “villain”. LOL

Back