Online stock trading course where we can learn how to trade like pro's?

6pack

ex-Mod
And take advantage of this ongoing situation...
Maybe there will be other such situations in future where we can make money.

Off topic. Do the big investors get access to trading bots here? I doubt anyone is sitting at their computers and calculating how much to buy and sell when everything is happening in seconds. All the trading websites from banks seem to be designed to slow down speed of transactions. No one page buy/sell. You go from page to page and confirmation after confirmation.

I am full time trader and make a living off it.

1) 90% of people trading actively lose money. Only 2-3 % beat FD over 3 years as per Zerodha ceo. Trading is tough ( but possible ).
2) People expect instant results. There is no taking advantage, no course in the world will turn you instantly profitable and even if someone gave you a system that works, a) it would be very hard to keep it running, doubts creep in b) you will still need to adapt it to the market over time.
3) Uncertainty is built into trading. You dont get monthly income, even yearly is not guaranteed. You don't get 100% win rate. More like 50%. Long periods of underperformance is a given. Also you need capital. Something like 1L/5L/ even 10L wont be nearly enough for full time trading. Part time is fine.
4) It takes years to turn profitable. It took me bit more than half a decade. And even after that, i do not have any guarantee of future performance. Just like any profession, it takes time to gain knowledge and then further time to gain skills. And markets do not give good feedback nicely.
5) apis are widely available and we can use that to trade reasonably fast. We don't need to compete with HFTs, so 'everything happening in seconds' is a different game that retail traders cannot compete in and should not/need not.

So these are some of the negatives. Last few years people selling course has increased a lot. Most likely they are more concerned with getting an income for themselves ( irrespective of whether they make money trading) then to make you profitable.

Anyway, if interested i can give name of guy i learned trading from. He has some free courses, a very long running freely available blog, a great book ( ~4k ). There is paid stuff too but i did not need it. There is no regional pricing so those can be expensive. But again - there is no instant result and no guarantee of success. It took me 2-3 years learning from him and even then i had to adapt and use my own modified approach. Most of the time, i think we cannot copy some one else 1:1.

I am full time trader and make a living off it.

1) 90% of people trading actively lose money. Only 2-3 % beat FD over 3 years as per Zerodha ceo. Trading is tough ( but possible ).
2) People expect instant results. There is no taking advantage, no course in the world will turn you instantly profitable and even if someone gave you a system that works, a) it would be very hard to keep it running, doubts creep in b) you will still need to adapt it to the market over time.
3) Uncertainty is built into trading. You dont get monthly income, even yearly is not guaranteed. You don't get 100% win rate. More like 50%. Long periods of underperformance is a given. Also you need capital. Something like 1L/5L/ even 10L wont be nearly enough for full time trading. Part time is fine.
4) It takes years to turn profitable. It took me bit more than half a decade. And even after that, i do not have any guarantee of future performance. Just like any profession, it takes time to gain knowledge and then further time to gain skills. And markets do not give good feedback nicely.
5) apis are widely available and we can use that to trade reasonably fast. We don't need to compete with HFTs, so 'everything happening in seconds' is a different game that retail traders cannot compete in and should not/need not.

So these are some of the negatives. Last few years people selling course has increased a lot. Most likely they are more concerned with getting an income for themselves ( irrespective of whether they make money trading) then to make you profitable.

Anyway, if interested i can give name of guy i learned trading from. He has some free courses, a very long running freely available blog, a great book ( ~4k ). There is paid stuff too but i did not need it. There is no regional pricing so those can be expensive. But again - there is no instant result and no guarantee of success. It took me 2-3 years learning from him and even then i had to adapt and use my own modified approach. Most of the time, i think we cannot copy some one else 1:1.

I am also going through learning phase in the market for past 1.5 years and avoid getting paid courses because I feel they are more after making money for themselves rather than making us a profitable trader. Do share details of the guy you're referring to if you can.
Thanks

I am also going through learning phase in the market for past 1.5 years and avoid getting paid courses because I feel they are more after making money for themselves rather than making us a profitable trader. Do share details of the guy you're referring to if you can.
Thanks
Lookup Adam H Grimes. I don't know if sharing links would be ok, but google up.

How i went about is this
1) Few years wasted in learning things from different sources that did not work( traderji and some blogs) . But it did give me time to learn some basics
2) Found his old free course/blog, read through blog ( since 2010 i think ). I was looking at charts everyday too, so tried to apply.
3) Read through 1st book ( Art and Science ). Great book, probably not for complete beginners ( not sure). Kept trying to apply
4) Meanwhile he started a website ( marketlife), had lots of freely accessible videos there. At some point i started to get some things and could read charts better ( but not making money ).
5) Even though i had improved, i was still struggling to apply with confidence for some time.
6) Eventually, i started testing market data. That lead to clear cut understanding of how target market actually works. There is no substitute for finding/confirming answers yourself.

I did not really go through the course because i had already read the book. But i think new guys can start there. They are 2 free courses, one for complete beginners i think. Can compliment it with blog. And if you still like it, then can buy and read book. That should be enough, and then you need to adapt to target market/Timeframe - experiment and see what works.
---------
Finally, some warnings -
1) For most people - really most people - trading is best ignored or only seen as a hobby where you spend money at best. I have seen many people come and go, success is very difficult. You need an edge first of all, and then you need mental make up of being able to apply that edge consistently day in day out often with long periods where market punishes you.
2) So for most people, best thing to do is - focus on your job, make more money. Invest via SIP into diversified Mutual funds/Index ETF, and keep holding these till retirement atleast. Have decent allocation to safe debt funds too which can be used when money is needed and/or to rebalance portfolio. Dont sell when markets crash, buy more if you can but within reason and not with on the spot decision.
3) If trading, trade with small capital in initial years - until you have clear edge, there is no need to give more money to market. I used to trade with SBIN 1 qty for some time. Only trade with capital, that you are willing to lose. Accept that initial years you will lose money and any short term success is likely just luck. Many people get overconfident on back of short term success and then scale up and pay it all back to market and then some more.
4) And what is success ?? Not 1000%, likely not 100% either. More like 30%. We can do better to, but at some point you will begin to take too much risk and that is not safe. That is why we need good capital, and need to compound that too every year, so cant take all profits out.

Good luck ..

Back