Only Acer Laptop required!!

2kool2btrue

Disciple
Hello everyone.. I had an Acer 5536G before and the one I had, had some serious overheating issues.. I gave it to the service center many-a-times yet, they could not rectify the problem.. I asked for a replacement or refund and after much rebelling they finally offered me an Acer 5745G as a replacement which turned out to be a faulty piece as well :( I sent it back and they could not manage to replace it so now they've asked me to pick up any model from one of their stores.. The catch is - it needs to be equivalent to the money I had originally spent in purchasing 5536G which was 32k.
So now, I need your suggestions as to what model is available in the market at this price point.. I can buy a more expensive model and pay the difference in price too(if it is really worth it).
My usage requirements are
Office applications
Internet
Running Statistical Tools
Casual Gaming Sessions.

The minimum I am looking for is a Core i3/i5, 4gb and 500gb(even 320 will do if I dont need to pay more)..

Please suggest

they gave you an acer 5745G as a replacement :O seriously you should have kept that laptop with you and got the faulty part replaced at the service centre instead of giving it back to them.

lol well I did exactly that.. They changed the motherboard twice yet it would hang as soon as windows started.. Prior to that, i had tried everything from reinstalling windows to getting custom nvidia drivers but nothing would work :( hence even they had to send it back.. So now, I'm stuck with this.. Please suggest what I should buy now..

If they have given you a 5745G once, then there is a very good chance that you can get a better model this time also. just tell them that you are getting faulty laptops again and again etc etc and try to get 5745G again or acer timelineX 4820TG ;)

I wish I could do that. But the catch is that now I have to go to one of their showrooms in janakpuri or nehru place and get a laptop of not more than 32k. So can you please tell me what options I have in acer at a price of around 32k? as i said before, i can add a few thousand bucks more if some model is really worth its asking price..
please suggest :)

Aspire 5745 Intel® Core i3-350M processor (3 MB L3 cache, 2.26 GHz,DDR3 1066 MHz

Ci3/3GB/Linux Intel HM55Chipset / 3 GB DDR3 RAM / 15.6"HD / DVD Writer/ 320 GB HDD

LX.PTW0C.020 BT/ MultiCR / GigaLAN /WebCam/ 4 x USB Ports / Dolby Stereo Speakers

HDMI/ /6 Cell/Linux/ 1Yr/CC --> 32k

http://www.deltapage.com/laptop.pdf

hey thanks :) how much is the i5 version for? and is there a config with both - 500gb hard drive and 4gb ram without a graphics card?

plus i had a few other queries -

1. has the keyboard flexing issue been resolved in the newer peices?

2. how is the webcam quality? (it was really bad on the faulty 5745g i recieved from acer earlier)

DarkAngel said:
Aspire 5745 Intel® Core i3-350M processor (3 MB L3 cache, 2.26 GHz,DDR3 1066 MHz

Ci3/3GB/Linux Intel HM55Chipset / 3 GB DDR3 RAM / 15.6"HD / DVD Writer/ 320 GB HDD

LX.PTW0C.020 BT/ MultiCR / GigaLAN /WebCam/ 4 x USB Ports / Dolby Stereo Speakers

HDMI/ /6 Cell/Linux/ 1Yr/CC --> 32k

http://www.deltapage.com/laptop.pdf

Try to get a refund.No matter how much you spend on an acer or HP most of them will die on you in 2 years time.They have the worst after sales service.I have wasted a lot of time with these idiots over last couple of months(my hp needed lcd replacement thrice in 6 moths,my friend`s acer was an epic,it`s hard drive was changed once,lcd twice,motherboard once and the power switch once over a span of 10 months).There will be people telling you that his or her acer is running for 5 years or so,they are either lying or extremely lucky.

2kool2btrue said:
hey thanks :) how much is the i5 version for? and is there a config with both - 500gb hard drive and 4gb ram without a graphics card?
plus i had a few other queries -
1. has the keyboard flexing issue been resolved in the newer peices?
2. how is the webcam quality? (it was really bad on the faulty 5745g i recieved from acer earlier)
Have a look at the laptop price list posted by Darkangel, that list contains the prices of all i3/i5 based acer laptops.Cant comment on keyboard flexing issue and webcam quality but i have seen that acer laptops tend to have more flexing issues than others.

red dragon said:
Try to get a refund.No matter how much you spend on an acer or HP most of them will die on you in 2 years time...
...There will be people telling you that his or her acer is running for 5 years or so,they are either lying or extremely lucky.
Dude, Pls check with many guys before saying hp lasts only 2 years...
I, & friends ordered hp dv5118tx, which is running well nearing its 5th year...
(For info: its the 1st widescreen model hp released)

all of our laptops are running great and many upgraded to W7 too...
I think it'll last another year or two..

pls dont bash any device until you know about them from many sources...

BTW: we are normal guys without huge luck & not lying too..

OK BACKTO TOPIC...

you could have kept the 5745G..

Else check if you can get a higher model by paying extra Money..

thirumalkumaran said:
Dude, Pls check with many guys before saying hp lasts only 2 years...
I, & friends ordered hp dv5118tx, which is running well nearing its 5th year...
(For info: its the 1st widescreen model hp released)

all of our laptops are running great and many upgraded to W7 too...
I think it'll last another year or two..

pls dont bash any device until you know about them from many sources...

BTW: we are normal guys without huge luck & not lying too..

OK BACKTO TOPIC...

you could have kept the 5745G..

Else check if you can get a higher model by paying extra Money..
Well,I too had heard good things about HP and made the mistake of buying one.Their after sales service was good couple of years ago but not anymore.In my city they have shifted their service centre 3 months ago,but their website shows the old address and every day a lot of people go to the wrong place.I even called the hp India and EVEN THEY WERE NOT SURE about the exact address of the new service centre:S.Acer is even worse.

^^ In India, every laptop manufacturer's after sales service sucks (except Dell and Apple) :p but HP is supposed to be the worst out of the lot. For the rest, it generally varies from center to center and depends on what kind of guys you get.

I've heard the build quality of all these new acer laptops is not that good :( btw do you think that if i go and ask them for a timeline 4820tg and tell them that im not going to pay extra since they've wasted my 2 months in getting me a replacement and have wasted enough of my time and money on visiting the service centre and calling them up everyday..which, sadly, is all true..

So what should be my course of action?

thank u everyone for your replies :)

i have this acer laptop 5731 it was just US$499 bought from walmart, and build quality is awesome, no complaints of any kind what soever, its 17 incher so the big body gets less troubles of heating, lots of space for air vents, superb built for a sub $500 notebook.

i would have loved to buy that but unfortunately we dont have that available in india :(

net said:
i have this acer laptop 5731 it was just US$499 bought from walmart, and build quality is awesome, no complaints of any kind what soever, its 17 incher so the big body gets less troubles of heating, lots of space for air vents, superb built for a sub $500 notebook.

and what about the course of action?

2kool2btrue said:
I've heard the build quality of all these new acer laptops is not that good :( btw do you think that if i go and ask them for a timeline 4820tg and tell them that im not going to pay extra since they've wasted my 2 months in getting me a replacement and have wasted enough of my time and money on visiting the service centre and calling them up everyday..which, sadly, is all true..
So what should be my course of action?
thank u everyone for your replies :)
There is no harm in trying for higher models,just tell them about your bad experiences with acer and the amount of time and money you have spent on their laptop, if they give a higher model then its cool but also shortlist a laptop in lower range before going as they may refuse to give a laptop of higher value.

okay point taken.. what is the best vfm acer laptop right now? i dont mind adding some extra cash :)

RS4 said:
There is no harm in trying for higher models,just tell them about your bad experiences with acer and the amount of time and money you have spent on their laptop, if they give a higher model then its cool but also shortlist a laptop in lower range before going as they may refuse to give a laptop of higher value.

you can go for acer 5745 at 32k and also have a look at acer timelinex 4820 series when you go to acer store.

Back