User Review OpenShift - Free Cloud Hosting from Redhat

I came across Redhat's upcoming PAAS offering ,OpenShift, a couple of weeks ago, and signed up about 5 days back.
Openshift is like a VPS, but one where you don't need to worry about managing the OS.

When you sign up you get 3 free 'gears'. Each gear gets 500MB RAM, and 1GB disk space on an Amazon EC2 instance. The resources you get are independent of server processes. So, the 500MB RAM you get is exclusively for your applications, and not for running the OS.

You can choose to deploy your app on a single gear or let the app auto scale depending on traffic.
They've got easy installers for popular applications like PHP, JBoss, Drupal, Wordpress etc.
My sites use Drupal, so I tried out their installation, but wasn't happy with the way things were laid out, and started over and did a manual install (which was quite complicated!)

Installing applications is a bit different from what I was used to on my regular shared hosting. You've got to use Git, instead of FTP. You can use FTP too, but using Git's the preferred method, and it's easier to set-up.

Once you've got your server setup, you've got to install Ruby and Redhats tools to access it. Your app is protected by public key encryption, and not a password, so you've got to install a program (Putty) to generate and manage your keys.

You need to SSH into your server to get a lot of things done, which is a bit slow, and has a learning curve, but is quite effective.

You can redirect your domain to resolve at the app you created. But by default it only accepts your domain with the www prefix. So, "www.yoursite.com" will lead to your site on readhat, but just "yoursite.com" won't work.
DNS wildcard 301 and 302 redirects don't work well, because they just take all traffic all from your naked domain, eg. yoursite.com/link1 back to your homepage i.e. "www.yoursite.com".
Http rewrites are reported not to work as well, and I didn't check.

However, I use Cloudflare as my CDN. It protects my site from attacks, makes it faster, and also lets you set page rules. Using it, I was able to redirect all traffic to the correct URL. And, it's a free service as well!

It's still in the 'developer preview' phase. Once they launch they'll still have a free tier, but they'll also let you scale your app if you need more resources. (Right now, you can't scale beyond your 3 free gears)

I've been using OpenShift for a few days now. It's definitely got a learning curve. But, if you're launching a new site, and want to save on hosting costs till your site starts bringing in some money, it's a good way to get started.

It's also a nice way to familiarise yourself with new technologies.

There's lots of documentation, and a helpful community to help you out. The support staffs pretty approachable too.

But, there are a few downsides.
Scarily, their terms and conditions state that all your content is theirs, or something to that effect. I think that they've put that in so that they don't get sued, and while I don't think that a company built on Open Source principles will steal, it's still something to consider before you decide to use their services.

Secondly, not all their apps scale. Drupal, Wordpress etc, don't scale. MySQL doesn't scale either.
So, you're stuck with running your sites on limited resources (but a lot more than you'll get if you're using shared hosting), unless Redhat manages to implement scaling once they're out of the preview phase.

They don't guarantee uptime either. I don't think that'll be a problem, but who knows?

I think it's a great offering.

You can sign up at: https://www.openshift.com/

They don't ask for your credit card number like Amazon, and they seem pretty committed to the free tier offering. They've got a good help desk, and an active community.

Thanks for the review. I think Appfog also offers a similar free plan. But last I checked they didnt have persisitent storage. Its also crazy complicated, with having to deal with ruby and all. Would you maybe make a tutorial or just like to the resources you learnt from? Perhaps a walk into your browser history.

It is a bit complicated, and the lack of persistent storage on scaled gears is a problem. But you can always use AWS to store user created files.

The difference between this and Appfrogs free tier is that you can host any domain on it, and you can get ~1GB disk space for your database. Whereas appfrog only lets you use af.cm domains, and gives you only 100MB of storage per MySql instance.

I'm currently running Drupal on a scaled gear, but it was a PITA to set up. The proxy server which manages scaling kept giving me errors while installing, and I had a tough time trouble shooting them.

However, they have a lot of pre-built apps (wordpress for example) that install with a single click, like Fantastico scripts. So, someone looking to host cheaply, but not too concerned with scaling shouldn't have any problems.

I got by through reading the documentation on the OpenShift site, trail and error, googling, and learning from my mistakes by reading my apps error logs.
Writing a tutorial to make the process easier for others seems a good idea, and I'll post one in a few days.

Thanks @ch@ts. I just Check appfog, they have recently limited the free plan. Which sucks cause it was nice. Even they dont have persistent storage :| It becomes too cumbersome for someone like me that is used to the ease and huge documentation for normal hosts. A tutorial will be most appreciated :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds a lot like Windows Azure PaaS. Definitely interesting, will check out soon. Thanks for the heads up and the nice review.

In fact as I start exploring, it turns out midway between Azure Websites and full blown Azure PaaS. For free hosting Azure Websites rules, with the only caveat being lack of custom domain redirects.

Thanks For the Information Bro @ch@ts:)

One Question : I tried Drupal and created an drupal site. i went to the site where no work have been done so now I thought to log in as admin and start work so but what is the password for admin ???

or should i create a new account and start working on the site ????

Thanks For the Information Bro @ch@ts:)

One Question : I tried Drupal and created an drupal site. i went to the site where no work have been done so now I thought to log in as admin and start work so but what is the password for admin ???

or should i create a new account and start working on the site ????

it's either : admin or Admin/OpenShiftAdmin or admin/openshift_changeme
depending if you chose the drupal-quickstart or drupal-example repo.

Back