Opera 10.5 - Fastest browser on Earth

Download your copy here!!

Opera 10.50 beta

I have been playing around with the 10.50 pre-alpha and thoroughly impressed. This ones gonna be even better :)

Heres a short review of the browser.

Tabbed Browsing
By far the best and most complete tabbing interface in any browser. Tabs are like sub-windows and the tab UI should be consistent with windows. Here are the flaws in other browsers.

1. Ctrl+Tab cycles through tabs, when in fact it should alternate between 2 tabs. The behaviour should be similar to Alt+Tab. Firefox, Chrome and Safari (lets call them the Trio from now on, because they share the same broken UI at many other places too) always cycle through tabs with no option to change the behaviour. Operas default behaviour alternates between 2 tabs. In case you are too used to the broken UI in Trio, Operas behaviour is customisable to mimic those.
  2. Operas tabs are resizable, just like how they should be in the first place. This behaviour is what is expected out of a sub-window. The Trio doesnt have this feature. Trios implementation of tabs is not akin to a sub-window. The Trio would be more accurate in calling their implementation Tarbs, reTarded tabs. Operas tabs can be resized, cascaded and tiled (vertically and horizontally)! Heres how I usually follow scores from 2 cricket matches at work without "Ctrl+Tab"ing every time or cluttering my Windows taskbar :p

Carakan - Fastest Javascript Engine
Opera has been lagging behind in this for a while. While its a critical part of website performance, I did not feel websites were significantly slower because of a slower JS engine in Opera (this maybe be related to my browsing pattern). However, with Chrome and Firefox competing to make websites load 0.000003 femtoseconds faster, Opera didnt want to be left behind. They got a spanking new JS engine, Carakan, with native code execution and other improvements. Heres the benchmark on how fast these browsers run through a 3 gazillion bazillion loop in JS. I hope the benchmark kiddies are happy now :)

fig1summarygraph.png
Vega - Hardware Accelerated Graphics Engine
One more awesome innovation from Opera. Their rendering engine (Presto 2.5) uses a new graphics library, Vega, which is hardware accelerated. This means it uses OpenGL/DirextX to improve rendering times. A lot of the rendering is now off-loaded to the GPU. The intense focus on improving JS speed had decreased the importance given to rendering. You can improve a websites loading time only by so much using a faster JS engine. At some point you will be limited by the rendering engine. Opera had a really quick rendering engine, and it just got faster!
This is of much importance in the mobile, netbook space. Mobile processors are limited by compute power and battery life. Off-loading rendering to the GPU improves rendering speed and increases battery life, since GPUs are more efficient than CPUs at rendering. Most smartphone mobile processors come with a GPU these days and its nice to see it can be put to good use, apart from video decoding and gaming. I hope to see this technology in Opera Mobile soon. Netbooks with a good GPU should also see improvements in rendering speed and battery life.

Non-blocking Javascript, HTTP dialog boxes
A pending JS or HTTP notification doesnt prevent you from interacting with other tabs or the browser. Admittedly, Chrome was the first to have this feature, as a direct consequence of their browser architecture. Firefox is FUBAR, again.

Speed Dial
A nice innovation from Opera. Though its been copied by other browsers, Opera still has the best Speed Dial implementation. Cant the Trio even copy features properly?! You can manually add entries to your speed dial, which I find missing in the Trio. The speed dial can also be configured to display 4, 9, 12, 16, 20 or 25 websites. The websites in slots 1-9 are accessible by using the Ctrl+<Number> keyboard shortcut.

Private Browsing - Pr0n Mode
A rather nice innovation from Chrome(??). Opera has improved upon the implementation and its as close to perfect as you can get. Apart from the regular features in Chrome, these are the new features.

1. Even tabs within regular windows can be made private. Such fine grained control is nothing short of awesome!
  2. Multiple private windows. I wonder why Chrome doesnt allow this in an easier way.
  3. Speed Dial is available in private tabs, if needed. Absent in Chrome for some unexplained reason again.

Opera Link
Its a free service provided by Opera that keeps data synced across multiple machines. These are the items that can be synced

1. Bookmarks
  2. Speed Dial
  3. Personal Bar
  4. Typed History
  5. Notes
  6. Searches
You can choose which of these are synced on each machine. Data is protected by a username and password. All this data is also accessible from their website, in case you are stuck using another browser.

Opera Turbo
This feature unique to Opera, improves page loading times over slow connections by compressing the website. All your HTTP requests are streamed through Operas servers, which then fetches the page. Their servers compress images, flash and text and then send it back to you, enabling a fast experience even over slow connections. The compression IS lossy, so there is some reduction in image quality, but the level of compression is customisable to a certain extent. This increases latencies due to the intermediary server taking time to compress pages but saves bandwidth. Very useful if you are browsing on a limited data plan or slow dialup/mobile connection or on roaming (where data costs are high).
Theres one other benefit too. It can be used as a proxy to access websites blocked by your ISP. It can also be used to browse websites that have blocked your IP, since your IP is now hidden from the website. Recently, it was useful to access isoHunt, when they blocked all BSNL IPs :D

Torrent Downloader
Opera also packs in a basic torrent downloader. Its quite decent and saturates my connection easily. It automatically throttles the torrent speed when Im browsing, so that websites dont load too slowly. Its not as configurable as stand alone applications (like uTorrent, Vuze) though.
[BREAK=Features (Continued)]
Ad Block
Opera also has the best ad block implementation and UI, ever. I tried the add-ons in Firefox and Chrome and was disappointed, to say the least. Heres how its done in Opera.

1. Right-Click anywhere in the page and choose "Block Content".

2. Click on the ads that you want blocked in the page. Opera will also block other ads that partially match the URL of the ad that you clicked. You can use "Shift+Click" to block/unblock specific instances. In this case I clicked on only 1 ad and all the ads at the top and sides of the page were automatically blocked because they share a common pattern. Needed one more click for the ad in the middle of the page, which had a different URL.

3. You can view and verify the match patterns are correct, if needed, by clicking on "Details" at the top of the page.

4. Click "Done" at the top of the page.

Chrome has a complicated method to block ads, though its fairly customisable. Chrome doesnt have an elegant way to see what ads are blocked in a page either. Found this rather annoying. I would have to whitelist the page and reload to see whats blocked. Heres a screenshot of how its done in Opera. Right-Click anywhere in the page and choose "Block Content". Voila! All the blocked content is shown automatically.

Also a peculiar thing I noticed in Chrome was that the ads would be displayed for a few seconds before the page completely loaded. Then the page would flicker (refresh) with the ads blocked. I get the feeling that the ads are downloaded to the machine and blocked just prior to display. This is an extremely poor way of blocking ads. Opera does not even fetch the ads that are blocked. Heres proof of my statement.

Heres a screenshot when the page is partially loaded. Notice the Crucial advertisement at the top of the page, marked in red.

Heres the page after its fully loaded. Notice how the Crucial ad is no longer displayed.

One more bug (??) I noticed was that the space occupied by a blocked ad collapses in Chrome. This might cause formatting issues in some websites. I havent come across any major issues, but the formatting of a website is noticably different when ads are blocked. Heres a screenshot to illustrate the point.

Original page in Opera and Chrome

Same page with ads blocked in Opera and Chrome

Notice how the article text has moved up in Chrome, while Opera still retains the space for the ad. Opera retains the intended layout of the page with and without ads, thereby delivering a consistent browsing experience. Chrome tries to increase the quantum of information displayed, which might be a good thing for some.

Chrome adblock has the following disadvantages compared to Opera.

1. Waste of bandwidth because the advertisement is still downloaded. Pages load as slowly with the ads, as without it. It may even be slower because of the time needed to filter the ads after downloading them. Significant time is spent waiting for the ads to download.
  2. Does not reduce usage on data limited connections.
  3. Ads can still track your movement across websites since they are fetched, but just not displayed.
  4. Page layout is different with and without ads. This might be inconsistent with what the website author intends.
Im not even going to talk about the adblock add-on in Firefox. Its just so horrible, a kitty dies every time someone installs it.

Opera M2 - Built-in Mail Client
Opera packs so much into such a small download footprint, it makes Firefox look like Rosie O'Donnell. Opera has its M2 mail client tightly integrated with the browser. The mail client comes along with the browser in 8.9MB. Thunderbird alone is 8.6MB. Opera M2 does almost everything Thunderbird can and does it better too. A couple of key features that distinguish it from Thunderbird.

1. Compose in tabs. Thunderbird still doesnt seem to have grasped the concept of tabs. What is the point of tabs, if mail can be composed only in a new window?
  2. To, CC, BCC are separate fields, like they should be.
  3. Extremely light weight.
There is one thing missing though - LDAP support. I hope to see it in a future version.

Opera M2 - Quick Find
One more thing that Opera does, and Thunderbird cant. Its basically incremental search on your mail. Opera begins to search and display matching emails as soon as you begin to type. The results are refined as you continue to type. It is blindingly fast too.

HTML5 Support
Opera has been the leader in HTML5 support and continues to be. Provides much wider support for HTML5 standards than any other browser. Chrome is still catching up and Firefox is no where in sight. A point to be noted is the absence of native support for H.264 embedded video in HTML5. Opera supports he Theora format, which comes with no copyright/patent/license issues. H.264 is supported by installing an open source add-on called GStreamer.

Inline Search Highlight
Safari had an interesting feature that helped in easily locating where exactly a search result was found within a page. The page would automatically darken and the search result alone will be highlighted. The page would return back to normal on a click. The effects were rather nice. Opera has the same feature now, I hope this is made customisable in the final release.

This is just a short review and I have highlighted only the important features. Im hoping to write a comprehensive review later, where I will nitpick at a much more detailed level :p

Flowers/flames most welcome as long as you state your reasons. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

References
PS : If the mods feel this thread is better positioned in the Reviews/Previews section please move it. I will start a separate thread here for announcing the release of the beta. Thanks.

Konquerror said:
Well in my personal experience, Chrome, Opera and Safari have similar speeds, then comes Firefox and then IE. Well these days Firefox is too buggy...startup time time has worsened...I have shifted to Chrome now.

Agreed Chrome is fast than FireFox but Opera still sucks.....

Konquerror said:
Well in my personal experience, Chrome, Opera and Safari have similar speeds, then comes Firefox and then IE. Well these days Firefox is too buggy...startup time time has worsened...I have shifted to Chrome now.

Agreed crome is fast and so is safari but dude opera sucks man

just trying to install OPERA 10.5... its .exe ****ed up..... What a Crap???

Raghu just tell me from where u downloaded it??

^^ Are you sure its not a problem with your download...? Raghu has given the download link in his first post, so please download from there and let us know.

SRJ said:
just trying to install OPERA 10.5... its .exe ****ed up..... What a Crap???
Raghu just tell me from where u downloaded it??

Posting the link again in case you didnt notice the link in the 1st post (2nd line).

Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browsers free

What is so "Crap" abt the .exe? What was the error? Did you cancel the download mid-way (like after 4 seconds) and then trying to execute the partially downloaded file?

@hp-india, Thanks. Can I request a thread cleanup to remove posts that dont have any worthwhile information in them?

@anup2010 & @SRJ
why are you guys trolling here? you guys have posted some 4-5 times claiming Opera sucks without giving any proof or benchmark backing your claims. If this isnt trolling, then I dont know what it is.

Page loading speed is a pretty moot thing as all browsers are more or less the same in that matter. The only differences lie in how they treat objects while the page is loading which creates a certain impression of speed.
Even IE6 is bearable that way.

So needless to say, I don't care about speed but innovation. And Opera delivers.

hmm didnt quite check back after the pre alpha thanks for the link opera certainly has improved a lot since version 4..

most of the features are already in the 10.10 though for example the integrated search just enable it... shortcut ctrl+f...

for me backing up opera setting, profiles etc is important as well to which i m thankful to tamil for the instructions :D

The best seems to have gotten better. :D

But I still use Firefox just because I'm used to it. But I do find Opera to be the best browser. I currently use 10.10 as my secondary browser. I'll try out 10.5 to see how it is.

Wonderful review, the turbo mode sounds very nifty. Downloading now, cant wait to try that.

Also, that benchmark graph made me laugh hard. IE scores are nearly non existent.

To all those people who say Opera is slow and sucks here is the tweak to make it faster for you.Just turn off that progress bar.Opera will feel really slow to you crazy people if you keep your eyes glued to that progress bar instead of page elements.So if you think Opera is slow it's all in your mind.

Re: Opera 10.5 beta Released - Fastest browser on Earth

Raghunandan said:
HOSTS file parsing is kinda slow in Windows. Its not fast if you want to block hundreds of sites. Its better to let the browser handle ad blocks.

Trying to understand why you said only in Windows. Expect its something to do with the sequence of address resolution. Check some areas before rendering the site and hosts is the last one in that chain ?

Secondly, the HOSTS file is quite long, nearly 40k entries, how is performance in Opera when the global list becomes as long.

Last, there are so many sites out there that are known, a good hosts would cover the usual suspects otherwise you're going to replicate its work for a good few weeks later or can one just copy all those entries into Opera and then all is good. Faster than, as you say.

^^ Thanks! I hope it lasts for more than just one night :p

Systemic Anamoly said:
hmm didnt quite check back after the pre alpha thanks for the link opera certainly has improved a lot since version 4..

most of the features are already in the 10.10 though for example the integrated search just enable it... shortcut ctrl+f...

User since Version 4?! Nice!!

Yes, these features are not new to 10.5 and some have been around for long. My review is geared towards introducing more people to Opera.

I personally prefer "/" to access integrated search (gvim habits die hard). "." also works.

blr_p said:
Trying to understand why you said only in Windows. Expect its something to do with the sequence of address resolution. Check some areas before rendering the site and hosts is the last one in that chain ?

Secondly, the HOSTS file is quite long, nearly 40k entries, how is performance in Opera when the global list becomes as long.

Last, there are so many sites out there that are known, a good hosts would cover the usual suspects otherwise you're going to replicate its work for a good few weeks later or can one just copy all those entries into Opera and then all is good. Faster than, as you say.

HOSTS is actually first in the chain when resolving a URL. Opera passes the URL to Windows for resolution to the IP address. Windows looks in the HOSTS file first to see if an entry exists. If an entry matches, it returns that IP address. Only if there is no entry does it send the URL to the DNS server for resolution. Windows is rather slow at comparing the entries in the HOSTS file against the URL. With 40k entries, Windows prolly spends significant time looking at the HOSTS file while resolving each URL.

Opera adblock stops the process one step earlier by not even trying to resolve a blocked URL. Also, it uses regular expressions for matches which is probably more efficient. HOSTS entries are static. I would like to believe Operas string matching engine is faster than Windows, but have no data to prove it.

I dont know how bad the performance will be in Opera with 40k entries!! Never had the need for that many. There are Opera adblock lists that you can download instead of adding entries manually. I would still suggest you add the entries manually to keep it minimal. If it does indeed get cumbersome, you can download a pre-configured block list.

I would like to believe Operas string matching engine is faster than Windows, but have no data to prove it.
If you have a hosts file as long or close to it vs having that list in the ad-block list.

Compare the difference. It won't be definitive but wil give an indication.

This hosts file is on a p3 box, dumb string matching is pretty quick for a list that big, regex on the other hand i think might be more CPU intensive. However that would be a moot point on a much faster machine.

I dont have a hosts file with 40k entries. You can try it and let us know :p

Let me also clarify my earlier post - Operas regexp engine + compact representation of blocked hosts is very likely to be faster than an expansive hosts file.

Having the same entries in the hosts file and Operas block list might not be a fair comparison. The hosts file check could be tuned for simple string matching, while Operas engine for much more general regexps. Without optimising the Opera ad block list, I might even expect hosts file to be slightly faster. With optimisation however, I expect Opera to be much faster.

The true strength lies in Operas flexible string matching scheme. It allows blocking ads with a compact set of entries when compared to the hosts file. It also handles cases that hosts file simply cant.

Heres a more elaborate (possibly useless) discussion of how the entries in hosts file can be represented much more compactly in Opera.

Lets say an ad serving website has a number of sub-domains. I even picked a real world example.

Code:
#Sample HOSTS file#
127.0.0.1  zedo.com #[SecuritySpace.WebBug]
127.0.0.1  ads.zedo.com #[McAfee.Cookie-Zedo]
127.0.0.1  c1.zedo.com #[a1979.g.akamai.net]
127.0.0.1  c2.zedo.com #[Tracking.Cookie]
127.0.0.1  c3.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  c4.zedo.com #[zedo.vo.llnwd.net]
127.0.0.1  c5.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  c6.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  c7.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  c8.zedo.com #[zedo.vo.llnwd.net]
127.0.0.1  d2.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  d3.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  d7.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  d8.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  freeze.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  g.zedo.com #[zedo.live365.com]
127.0.0.1  gw.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  h.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  l1.zedo.com #[a1101.g.akamai.net]
127.0.0.1  l2.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  l3.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  l4.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  l5.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  l6.zedo.com #[a515.g.akamai.net]
127.0.0.1  l8.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  r1.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  simg.zedo.com #[zedo.vo.llnwd.net][a556.g.akamai.net]
127.0.0.1  ss1.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  ss2.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  ss7.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  xads.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  yads.zedo.com
127.0.0.1  [url]www.zedo.com[/url] #[Adware.RaxSearch]

All this can be mapped to "*zedo.com*" in Opera, which is very likely to be more efficient.

This compaction alone is still not representative of how you can efficiently block ads in a real world scenario. Lets take one more example.

Opera ad block entry = */adimages/*

This single entry might match the URL for ads from a lot of websites. But blocking them using hosts file will require 1 entry per site. How big does it make the hosts file? How tough is matching the regexp? With many such regexps and servers, its only going to complicate the analysis.

As a general observation, I expect Operas method to scale better because it can exploit a greater degree of overlap that emerges with every added server. The hosts file method is too simple to exploit such opportunities.

To help migrate from hosts file to Opera without much manual work, you can try some of the Opera ad filters from this site.

Tamil - Opera ad block filters

In case you try it, let us know how well it works (speed and blocking rate).

There is one other issue with using the hosts file, if you are running a webserver on the local host? All the sites in the hosts file will be redirected to that webserver, potentially creating a mess (a scenario I have faced earlier). Even otherwise, the machine will be continuously bombarded with requests because the browser will try to access 127.0.0.1 for every blocked URL.

The hosts file was not intended to block websites. It is merely a static DNS entry file. Its fine to use it for faster DNS resolution, but blocking URLs is a totally different ball game. I do see one advantage with the hosts file though - it works across all browsers.

After reading through all that, heres a simple scenario where the hosts file fails miserably - What if the website serving the page is also the one serving ads?

Back