Opera 12.00 Alpha coming with HW Acceleration - Released!!

And its out!!

Opera Desktop Team - Introducing Opera 12 alpha

Just downloaded. Will post my first impressions soon!

Mods, please edit the thread title = Opera 12.00 Alpha coming with HW Acceleration - Released!!

---

Demoed already in Up North Web Conference.

Opera 12 to get graphics-hardware boost | Deep Tech - CNET News

Sneak peek: Revamped Opera gets turboboost ? The Register

Opera already has software support for graphics in 11.5, but the hardware support increases things. A demonstration of Microsoft’s “psychedelic browsing” HTML5 test on the Mac saw the Opera 11.5 with no hardware acceleration notch up 864 rpm; the latest Chrome with hardware acceleration score 498 rpm; and the Opera 12 reach 1,950 rpm.

4 times as fast as Chrome!!

Re: Opera 12.00 Alpha coming with HW Acceleration - Today!!

So its "the fastest browser", that's what they are promising? If Opera was that fast in 11.5, then it would've been mentioned as the fastest browser already.

They are pretty much the fastest already.

Browser Speed Tests: Firefox 7, Chrome 14, Internet Explorer 9, and More

Opera is behind Chrome and Fartfox on very few things - HW acceleration being the biggest of those, though Opera had talked about it long before the others. This update will put that to rest too.

Opera is also making it accessible to a much larger audience than Chrome and Fartfox too. Opera will support HW acceleration on WindowsXP, Windows7, Linux and Mac. Fartfox/IE9 - only Windows7. Chrome - Windows7, Linux, Mac.

Does not matter if it has many features like these, but the main point is how good it is, especially with extension support like that of FF. Also i used to like the fact that it had a nice email app built in.

Also the fact that IE is most secure is total hogwash, it uses smartscreen filter which checks the url against that of some list. What if it leaks a secure url which should not have gone out, eh? Not to forget, slower speeds too.

Awesome, must try it,
@OP, do post your experience

Nice to see Opera gaining dominance again. They were the original innovators when it came to browsing ! :D

been using it since morning. browsing is fast. no crashes till now. liking this version.

Only issue till now is I cant see google+ link on google.co.in main page.

Updated my driver to latest version and things are fairly smooth. Needs a little more polish while switching tabs, scrolling and in memory usage. These are probably because of the alpha and Im pretty sure they will be fixed by final.

Most of the sites I visit are working well. Will run benchmarks now.

^ so it 11.60 available fro download ?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Edit: Installed Opera 11.60 yesterday.

Its better, the new pin-tag feature is useful, at-least for me. :)

Another good news is that, some in-compatibility with TE has been fixed.

recent opera convert here. i use two browsers, one with images set to off (opera) and the other on (firefox).
i have a slow net connection, so opera is the one i use most. was using maxthon v1 before.
opera is quite customisable even without plugins, possible to use a adblock ini file. really liking opera.
plus i could not get portable firefox to work in a windows 7 pe when i installed catalyst video drivers, opera portable worked perfectly.
demo of h/w acceleration here : WebGL Water
Hardware Acceleration Stress Test.
backup settings : http://my.opera.com/Disco Stu/blog/opera-settings-import-export-tool

Tried the 11.60 version actually its not as bad as i thought but still not many extensions and i miss the inspect element feature in chrome.

challapradyumna said:
Tried the 11.60 version actually its not as bad as i thought but still not many extensions and i miss the inspect element feature in chrome.
Huh?
Right click withing a webpage -> inspect element.

It's right there in the context menu.
Also, Opera has most functionality provided by generic extensions, built in.

stalker said:
Huh?
Right click withing a webpage -> inspect element.

It's right there in the context menu.

Oops sorry missed it . :ashamed:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Wow it has a window manager. Awesome.

Christmas at Opera Labs: 64-bit Opera, and out-of-process plug-ins :

Christmas at Opera Labs: 64-bit Opera, and out-of-process plug-ins - Dev.Opera

Windows
On 64-bit Windows versions, you can choose between the separate 32-bit and 64-bit builds.
On 32-bit Windows versions only the 32-bit build will work.
Older versions of Flash might give performance problems. Use the newest version of Flash to test this build.
Interactions with plug-ins may occasionally freeze Opera for 7 seconds.

Need some help with 11.60 - how to join irc.freenode.com ?

I'm loving the built in mail application also the note , Just the perfect combination for daily internet usage

Back