Opera 9 Released

Seattle and Oslo, Norway - June 20, 2006

Opera Software today released Opera 9, its newest Web browser for PCs. You can download it free in more than 25 languages for Windows, Mac, Linux and other platforms from Opera 9 campaign. Opera 9 enhances the way you access, share and use online content by including innovative widgets - fun, small and useful Web programs - and support for BitTorrentâ„¢, the popular file distribution technology. Even while adding these improvements, Opera 9 maintains the security and speed millions of Opera fans have come to expect.

"For Opera 9, we worked hard to push the limits of what people expect from a Web browser, with increased speed, new Web standards support and innovative features such as widgets and BitTorrent," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "Even though we shaped this browser for the Web’s future, we have the powerful features people want and need for their surfing today. I truly feel Opera 9 has something for everyone."

Choose Efficient, Productive Surfing

Opera strives to ensure you can be as efficient online as you want. Whether by pioneering the earliest form of tabbed browsing in the first Opera browser or allowing you to add your favorite search engines to the search bar in Opera 9, we give you the tools to stay organized online. Features such as saved sessions, the trash can (to get those closed tabs back), notes and the ability to start exactly where you last closed Opera keep you productive.

Choose Security

Secure browsing is still the single most important attribute of any Web browser. Opera has a long track record of keeping you safe while online. By introducing the security bar to prevent scams like phishing and strengthening Opera 9's pop-up blocker to weed out annoying or potentially malicious pop-ups, Opera gives you new options for safe browsing.

Choose Your Style

Express your style with the click of a mouse. You can change the look and feel of your browser by downloading new skins or altering buttons to suit the way you want to use Opera. Opera 9 even lets you improve how individual sites behave or block advertisements on a site-by-site basis. It's your choice.

Choose Content

Widgets make everyday browsing fun and useful by bringing a variety of Web content and data right to your computer’s desktop. You can play games, get organized, follow your favorite sports teams and more. Widget developers can create widgets using open and common Web standards including JavaScript, CSS, HTML and SVG and technologies like AJAX. For more information about using or making widgets, visit widgets.opera.com.

Choose Innovation

Opera believes in an open Web by supporting open standards and technologies that lead the next wave of innovation. Opera 9 includes tools to make it easier for sites to code for these open standards. Built-in Extensible Rendering Architecture (ERA) helps developers make sure their sites work well on any Web-connected device. Opera's browsers are built on the same core technology, making it easy to test once in Opera 9 and ensure compatibility with a variety of devices - from mobile phones to Nintendo's Wiiâ„¢. You can read more about Opera, Web standards and our technology at labs.opera.com.

Features
Screenshots
Changelog
The Press Release

Opera is having its official launch party for the release of Opera 9 in Seattle, WA – just a short drive from Microsoft Headquarters.About 35 people showed up to this event, including people from Google, Microsoft, W3C, and BitTorrent.

More about the launch Party

Info Provided by : Operawatch

How can i make Opera open with no pages?? The previous version 8.54 used to do so, but this version opens with a blank page, and doesn't have the option of opening with no pages in Preferences.

So if i open a link from another program, it always opens 2 tabs, one of which is blank.

Another question... how do i stop Opera from downloading torrents thru its built-in client... i would rather prefer BitComet...

P.S.: There isn't an Edit button in my above post :-S... ??

Type opera:config in the address bar.
Under bit torrent options uncheck the box besides enable.
I dont know about your first query though. Opera has changed its tabbed browsing behaviour so that atleast one tab is always open.

Latest Changes:

• New content blocker -- "Block content" option is available from the page context menu
  • New Opera Widgets feature. Widgets are small Web applications that live outside the Opera window. Use the new Widgets menu or panel to add and manage the widgets of your choice. Learn more about using and creating widgets at widgets.opera.com
  • Added support for peer-assisted file distribution using BitTorrent
  • New search engine editor -- "Create search" option is available from the search form field context menu
  • Updated search.ini -- the file version number is now 8. All files with lower version numbers will be overwritten on upgrade
  • New keyword a for searching with answers.com
  • New keyword b for BitTorrent search
  • Added site preferences feature, available from page context menu, Quick preferences, and collectively from Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content
  • Terminology update: user interface and help now refer to "tabs" instead of "pages"
  • Web page thumbnails are now shown when hovering tabs
  • Keyboard shortcut changes:
  • Ctrl+T opens new tab
  • Ctrl+N opens new window
  • Ctrl+D saves bookmark for current page
  • Ctrl+B does "Paste and go"

FileForum | Opera for Windows

MajorGeeks.Com - Contacting Download Site

I am First time user of Opera for Security reason as I love to us Win98SE. Just today I donwload Opera 9.

Some Query about it ?

Why I can not see any Running Circle at the Top Right Hand Side of this browser as I can see when Page Is Loading with FF.

It makes me confuse and I sevral time hit Refresh as I can not understad that Page is Loading or Not.

Stick said:
I am First time user of Opera for Security reason as I love to us Win98SE. Just today I donwload Opera 9.

Some Query about it ?

Why I can not see any Running Circle at the Top Right Hand Side of this browser as I can see when Page Is Loading with FF.

It makes me confuse and I sevral time hit Refresh as I can not understad that Page is Loading or Not.
In Opera its more prominent.
Check the image

That thing pointed by arrow wont be there when the page has been loaded completely. Also the Stop button changes to refresh button when the page has been loaded.

Back