Opera Mini doesn't work on 5230

phreak0ut

Disciple
Jan 11, 2008
Hey guys,

I've installed Opera Mini 4.2, but I'm not able to use it to browse the Internet. Whenever I start it, it says installing and the progress bar moves slightly more than the half length progress. Then it says cannot connect to Internet and gives a link to be checked for issues.

I'm using Vodafone Live! on prepaid in Bangalore. Called the CC but they just told me to reboot the phone and try again(oldest trick in the book, which usually fixes things) but no luck. Also, I reapplied the MMS and GPRS settings and now the default connection chosen is 'Vodafone Live(1)' which is the duplicate. How can I remove all the settings and reapply it? Is there any setting I need to make to make Opera work?

CA50

Skilled
Dec 26, 2009
GraveYard
may be you signal strength is too weak, so the GPRS connection might have lost. try is again in such place where you have full signal strength. I have two questions:
1. From where did you get the opera? From official site or other site? If from other site the try to get it from the official site.
2.What symbol is shown on the cell phone when connecting to vodafone live? GPRS or EDGE.

hiviky2212

Disciple
Oct 30, 2008
its not opera issue, u need 2 sset the setting again , ask cc to send it again and ya download opera 5 beta , its much better

punit1

Disciple
Oct 14, 2009
It works with 5800 and should work with 5230 too.opera 5 beta works fast on my w910i with airtel mobile office.The problem may be with the internet settings delivered to ur phone..bcz that live settings of vodafone won't allow to connect whole web same is the case with airtel live but airtel 'MO' does.

Tanuj

Disciple
Sep 13, 2008
Noida
You cannot browse with operamini using vodafone live. Operamini will work only with vodafone mobile connect.

phreak0ut

Disciple
Jan 11, 2008
Nope. Still no luck :( I guess I'll call the CC once more and check out. Before that, can you please tell me how to clear the current settings?

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009
It should work fine .try downloading opera mini 5 and in suite settings select option to choose the settings . When it asks for connection then select the vodafone live settings. Or in settings delete the default settings but first note them and enter in the internet and wap the vodafone live settings.

Konquerror

Adept
Nov 7, 2009
Bangalore
pranavprakash.net
ggt said:
It should work fine .try downloading opera mini 5 and in suite settings select option to choose the settings . When it asks for connection then select the vodafone live settings. Or in settings delete the default settings but first note them and enter in the internet and wap the vodafone live settings.

No, it won't. Surfing over Vodafone Live is like surfing behind a proxy. Opera Mini uses server side processing of web page and then rendering that on your phone browser. The Vodafone live connection won't allow Opera to connect to it's server and hence it will give time out error. However opera Mobile does all processing on your phone itself and it does not require any server side processing of webpages. So it would be able to load page properly. I think I made my point clear.

phreak0ut

Disciple
Jan 11, 2008
Thanks a lot for your reply guys! :) I forgot to mention in my previous post that I tried it again on Opera Mobile. I removed Opera Mini. It still times out. Not sure what to change.

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009
I have tried installing opera mini 5 with aircel pocket internet and reliance wap settings. They work for both operators . And these use proxy servers.
So i donno what should be the difference with vodafone live.

rapt0r

Adept
Jun 15, 2006
Opera mini works on wap connections fine,i have it on loop wap running all the time .

Go to Menu-->Settings-->Application Manager-->installed apps-->Opera mini-->Suite settings and allow everything and manually set it to use Vodafone live as access point. It should work.

phreak0ut

Disciple
Jan 11, 2008
After hunting down where the settings are, I cleared it and reapplied it. Now, it WORKS!! :hap2::clap: When I try to access Gmail, I get a message that the certificate is different from what is actually for the website. Is it safe to accept it?