Audio Optical out sound card for 2k?

vebk

Adept
Hi all,

Am looking to buy a new rig, and my intention is to have it be a HTPC / Gaming Rig, and thus I want to hook it upto a 5.1 HTiB (to be purchased later). From what I can figure out the best (and simplest) way to connect it to the home theater would be optical out. It also seems that motherboards with onboard optical out are not very good.

So is there a sound card with optical out (apart form the usual connections) that is recommended. I don't need top of the line, but something reliable and vfm. I am not looking to spend more than 1.5 - 2K.

p.s. I should also mention that my usage from the HTPC would be 50% movies/tv shows, 30% gaming and 20% music (and I will be selecting a budget HTiB with that criteria in mind).

vebk said:
Hi all,

Am looking to buy a new rig, and my intention is to have it be a HTPC / Gaming Rig, and thus I want to hook it upto a 5.1 HTiB (to be purchased later). From what I can figure out the best (and simplest) way to connect it to the home theater would be optical out. It also seems that motherboards with onboard optical out are not very good.

So is there a sound card with optical out (apart form the usual connections) that is recommended. I don't need top of the line, but something reliable and vfm. I am not looking to spend more than 1.5 - 2K.

p.s. I should also mention that my usage from the HTPC would be 50% movies/tv shows, 30% gaming and 20% music (and I will be selecting a budget HTiB with that criteria in mind).

audigy 2ZS/ platinum / Audigy value 7.1

Assuming you are buying a new setup an onboard audio too can provide optical out. So then you can buy a better card along with the speakers.

Back