Ordering books from Amazon ?

vinodh89

Disciple
Im looking to order 3 or 4 books from Amazon. Would like to hear a feedback from TE'ians about their experience from Amazon.

The site states that the there is no import charges for Books. And also pls enlighten on the shipping charges.

Dunno about Amazon, but you could also try Rediff. Ordered a couple of books from them and got them within two days of the payment being approved. They even had 'Where The Wild Things Are', which was totally unexpected by me. Plus, free shipping on the majority of stuff. :D

Only thing is, for some reason, they need written approval from the bank for the payment; even if you transfer the money electronically. I know; weird.

Anyway, long story short; try Rediff. :)

I ordered a few graphic novels thru kmd. If in doubt about dealing with Amazon directly, you might try asking him for quotes. Pretty satisfactory for me, getting stuff thru him. I take care of the payment and he takes care of everything else :).

I had ordered some photography books through amazon and had a very pleasant experience. The parcel came thru ordinary post and was collected from the nearest post office without any issues. There were no extra charges that I had to pay. It was very neatly packed and was not tampered at all. Surprisingly, the parcel was shipped from Amazon Germany, probably since it was the nearest (??). You might be able to save some cash on shipping by bunching your orders.

Regular shipping takes close to a month or even more at times, expedited takes around 20 - 25 days, priority shows up in 3 or 4 days.

If there is any import duty to be levied, it will be collected from you during delivery. For 3/4 books, usually there is none. Priority delivery though will charge you advance import duties to ensure books reach you on time.

I have ordered tons of books and DVD's from Amazon and it reaches me in 3-4 weeks with Standard International Shipping. I always get it in proper condition, in fact excellent packing. It bears the seal and sticker of a Chennai based company, so i am guessing that company takes care of mailing it after it reaches India. FYI it is sent from Chennai by Registered Post.

The only damage i experienced was in a James Bond Collector's edition boxset which was huge, and it was my mistake to order such things without expecting a dent or fold here and there.

In fact, its kind of a surprise when i get the package delivered as i ordered them weeks back and i always end up forgetting about it ;)

I use flipkart.com and have never had a problem with them. They sell some textbooks for much cheaper than Amazon.com does (though I've often felt that they just buy off Amazon and ship it to you). Compare Gray's Anatomy 39th Edition on Amazon and on Flipkart, for instance.

It's not always the cheapest option, but it's worth looking at.

Back