OS getting stuck frequently !!

anilthomas26

Disciple
Hi ,
My Sony Vaio laptop (VPCEB36FG) is getting stuck frequently:(.While using, the OS will get stuck for 2-3 seconds and then it will run fine until some applications are executed and then it will again get stuck. During these 2-3 seconds (when OS gets stuck) the orange LED in the lap which shows the read operation will be turned ON .

I am using Windows 7 now. I have formatted the entire hard disk and installed windows 7 again but still have the same problem. I thought that it may be due to some virus and so I installed ubuntu but still have the same problem. I tried many h/w diagonostic tools and they didnt give any error (no error in memory and hard disk ).

Please help me to solve this problem

I somehow think its the memory stick. But do pay attention to your hard-drive and cpu temps as well. Try resetting your bios too.

@OP

Most probably it looks like a failing HDD. One sign for that can be that ur mouse pointer doesnt get stuck when the rest of the system freezes up. Does that happen?

Also run quick tests in the following programs to check HDD:

1.)Official Seagate HDD health checker:

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

2.) Find the WD equivalent yourself

Both will work on any HDD from any brand. Run quick tests first.

Thanks for the suggestions.. I will test my hard disk with the tolls that you all have suggested.

@DirtDiver

What you said is right. The mouse pointer wont get stuck when the rest of the system freezes up.

So it means the problem is with my hdd ?

anilthomas26 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.. I will test my hard disk with the tolls that you all have suggested.

@DirtDiver

What you said is right. The mouse pointer wont get stuck when the rest of the system freezes up.

So it means the problem is with my hdd ?
Ya that is a symptom of failing HDD. Download and run the tests in the programs i gave links to and then u would know for sure..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

DirtDiver said:
Ya that is a symptom of failing HDD. Download and run the tests in the programs i gave links to and then u would know for sure..
Also IMMEDIATELY take back up of all imp HDD data as it will go from few freezes every now and then to totally unusable very quick. Trust me i have had experience and lost some data because i didnt take back up at the correct time.

The Seagate program will give u an error code. Post it on this thread.

Hi ,

My Sony Vaio laptop (VPCEB36FG) is getting stuck frequently:(.While using, the OS will get stuck for 2-3 seconds and then it will run fine until some applications are executed and then it will again get stuck. During these 2-3 seconds (when OS gets stuck) the orange LED in the lap which shows the read operation will be turned ON .

I am using Windows 7 now. I have formatted the entire hard disk and installed windows 7 again but still have the same problem. I thought that it may be due to some virus and so I installed ubuntu but still have the same problem. I tried many h/w diagonostic tools and they didnt give any error (no error in memory and hard disk ).

Please help me to solve this problem

Hi anilthomas,

I am using Sony vaio E Series(VPCEB46FG). I'm also struggling with same problem like yours. My audios and videos getting stuck for every few seconds and my system became very slow. How is your laptop now... I hope your problem resolved..... can you suggest me what to do....? Can anyone help me...?

Back