Other party hears Echo (their own voice) in Zoom call when I am not Muted and using speaker

raksrules

Elite
Hardware: Amazon Fire HD 10 Android Tablet
Software: Zoom
Speaker: Generic Bluetooth Speaker

My son uses the above things to access his online classes. In order to avoid using earphones, we have given the speaker connected via bluetooth to the tablet. This all works fine until my son is on mute. But when he is not on mute and either teacher or some other student speaks, they hear echo, their own sound.
I have tested this myself too in home by doing the zoom call from one device to this.

What may be the reason for this and is there any way to fix it? For now he is using in ear (but not in ear canal) Bose Soundsport earphones.

Is this tablet or blame or something else?

It must be surely due to the speaker. Since you must be using the Tablet mic as well, it picks up the sound played by the speaker and transmits it back.

A common issue with Zoom, WebEx, or Teams calls on speakers. It keeps echoing until it turns into loud shrill noise (at times). Keep it on mute and unmute when speaking.

AFAIK, Microsoft is currently working on AI-based noise suppression for Teams. While it's supposed to improvise to some extent, it doesn't necessarily eliminate echoes completely.

It must be surely due to the speaker. Since you must be using the Tablet mic as well, it picks up the sound played by the speaker and transmits it back.

Is there any way around? Do you think the reason may be that the MIC of tablet is being used and speaker of the BT speaker.
If I get a speaker with inbuilt Mic, I am guessing I can fix this issue?

Is there any way around? Do you think the reason may be that the MIC of tablet is being used and speaker of the BT speaker.
It might fix the issue but that would depend on the quality and implementation of the mic in the speaker. I don't have much experience in using Bluetooth speakers though, so I'll let other users chime in.

Yes and yes.
Beware though that most bt speakers have very shoddy mics.
Even the ones marketed for calling features.

However faint audio from your end is still a significant improvement over echo - which is super annoying for other parties on a call

As a workout to not using the speaker and also not using earphones for my 6 year old, he is using my LG HBS-A100 Bluetooth earphones which have tiny speakers on both sides which works fine.

Back