Other people registering my email ID with banks etc - what to do?

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
I have multiple instances of different people with similar names as mine providing my email address when signing up for stuff like credit cards or broadband internet etc and these places don't bother sending OTP or verification links to confirm and directly register it in their systems.

So I regularly get emails with things like billing statements, transaction alerts etc.

I shudder to think banks like HDFC, ICICI, Axis, Kotak etc don't verify.

As a quick fix I just blocked the email addresses of these except for those companies where I also actually have an account LOL.

So what is a good way to get these people to unregister my email ID and hopefully NOT re-register when some new idiot comes along and provides my email address again?

Today I went ahead and filed a complaint on the cyber crime portal just for kicks for one of these companies sending me final reminders for overdue bills with payment links and repeating this even after I replied to them to explain the situation and them saying "ok i will check this". Let's see what happens heh.

I don't think you can do anything other than send those mails to spam folder. I had a Hotmail account, which later became a Microsoft account and was using it for my ICICI Bank and other formal stuff. Started getting unencrypted bank account statements for some company with a name similar to mine suddenly. Like i could just open the pdf and view everything inside it. The company had given the proper email ID to ICICI but some chump had put my name in it. The company had a similar Microsoft account like me. First two times i forwarded the mail to the company and requested them to get their email address corrected in the bank's mailing system. Didn't get any acknowledgement or reply from them. Tried asking bank too, but no luck here too since in their books the email addresses were proper and they couldn't do anything without the company responding. So i just shifted everything to a new gmail account. Had to change the email address in every account i was using that account for. Forwarded all the old emails from NS account to Gmail. And after 1 year of not getting any of my important mails on the MS account i deleted that account. The dumb company bank statements were still coming to my MS email ID when i deleted it. Saw about 2 dozen of their emails in there which i didn't open not bother to forward it.

I too have same issue :( and the fact gmail allows multiple dot option added more trouble. I infact contacted the person who continues to misgive the email id in phone and explained him. First time he was kind of oh sorry, will update the email. But he never did that and continue to do same mistake. I got his contact number from the emails I received. Next time onwards, he was like.. I already did my best to fix the issue, I can't help you anymore.

Sometimes I wonder is it because I got Gmail during early beta period and that time maybe they allowed different email address which differentiate using dot... I mean during beta period they probably considered abc.d@gmail.com and abcd@gmail.com.

Got bugged of this, currently moving to personal domain based email and slowly moving all the accounts which uses that Gmail to personal domain id. Luckily icloud giving free email service for personal domain. So I had to pay only for domain registration.

Last edited:
Got bucked of this, currently moving to personal domain based email and slowly moving all the accounts which uses that Gmail to personal domain id. Luckily icloud giving free email service for personal domain. So I had to pay only for domain registration.
Unfortunately personal domains don't help. I shared the initials and surname with a CEO from an accounting firm. I had a .com domain with my initial and surname and some clerk from the firm for whatever reason thought that it belongs to the CEO.

For several years I kept receiving accounting statements, legal documents, phone and hotel bills at that address, even though I had notified the firm in the initial days. Post that I kept blocking the specific email addresses for the domain they were using and eventually decided not to renew that domain because it was not worth it.

encounterd similer problem with my sisters email id, some girl with same name must have put it somewhere, we got her bank account details, app spending details every week .. finally we got a phone number from some statement, my sis called her but even she was not interested in changing it..
what could we do. we alert bank with this email not relevant to me option and put a block on address..

Send the bank an email that says they have the wrong address, and if they continue to send you other people's financial info, you will be charging them 1 cr. per instance to bring it to their attention. Sending you ANY such emails will be deemed to be in agreement to the above condition, failing which you will sue them. Further, you are free to share/sell said information to any entity domestic or foreign.

Chances are they will continue to send mails, in which case, name & shame them publicly. The story will spread since everyone will think you are owed 1 cr lol, and will raise awareness.

Sometimes I wonder is it because I got Gmail during early beta period and that time maybe they allowed different email address which differentiate using dot... I mean during beta period they probably considered abc.d@gmail.com and abcd@gmail.com.
I don't think Gmail ever allowed that. It would be pretty much impossible to decide which of the above gets to keep their ID since at least for the past 12 years I can personally assure the position & number of dots in the ID doesn't matter. They all end up in the same inbox, with Gmail showing a "Yes this is you" banner at the top.

Unfortunately personal domains don't help
yea agree, its not 100% foolproof method to solve this kind of issues, but it does help to some extend. And i also started to use icloud's hide my email feature and give use temporary random address to some rare websites.

yea agree, its not 100% foolproof method to solve this kind of issues, but it does help to some extend. And i also started to use icloud's hide my email feature and give use temporary random address to some rare websites.
yahoo mail allows email aliases too..

From what I have read here and heard such weird happenings around its gmail to blame.
I have 4 gmail a/cs and on one aka my first ever gmail a/c (created during early 2000s via referral prgram) soon became a trash mass-mailing junk!
I openly receive banks details, statements, mortgage, insurances, even threatening emails but adressed not to me but to xyz senders from what not sources... I only login to that a/c may be once a month or so.

I'm using my 3 decade old yahoo id for everything and gmail only for android login.
My friend still use rediff and all so no issues encountered by people who use everything except gmail!

Blame gmail is all what I can say!
yahoo mail allows email aliases too..
But hardly less than 5% people know it esp. when the world revolves around gmail.
I discovered yahoo aliases back in 2002 or so :cool: and created 5 just for time pass rnd and chat purpose. But later those aliases got converted into dedicated/separate yahoo ids.

aliases got converted into dedicated/separate yahoo ids.
idn about this but one can keep using it junk and promotional purpose..
i just keep seperate folder of what is received on this alias id's.

Back