Outlook emails lost, wrong rule created, mails hidden

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Outlook 365-

Today I created outlook rule mistakenly.
Instead of selecting a folder I selected the mailbox name (mailparse@gsgtelco.com) itself and now the moved emails are nowhere to be found in the inbox or in any folders.

upload_2016-11-15_14-48-17.png

Now any incoming email from that sender (whom I applied this rule) is not shown in my inbox or any folder.
However, if I search it manually it is found in the search list.

For this again I recreated a rule to move all emails from that sender to Inbox but only the last email gets moved and the previous emails are Hidden somewhere which can only be accessed via Search.

I deleted all rules as well but no luck.

Just want to know, when we select our mailbox name/root, then where does the email get moved exactly? Shouldn't they be moved into Inbox??

This issue has made many people in our support group go mad!!

Last edited:
Please give due credit to the site/blog from where the content is copied.
It’s a setting in your sub-folder view settings. In these few simple steps you can make sure you are seeing all the email messages in the folder. Hopefully once you’ve followed these instructions you will now be able to see all email messages in that folder and your email message will be there too. No longer will Outlook messages disappear!

outlook-view-tab.jpg

• In Outlook 2010 click the View tab for the ribbon bar
  • Click on the folder you want and then click View Settings
  • Go to advanced and see if there is any advanced filtering shown.
  • If so, remove it and click OK.
    If you had to follow these steps to stop Outlook messages dissapearing then you should check your other Outlook folders as well. Make sure filtering is not applied to any of them. Unfortunately there is no way in Outlook to select the root folder and make the change on all sub-folders. You actually have to go through each sub-folder and check it and change it if necessary. It’s a pain, but it’s worth going through the steps to make sure you’re seeing all the messages you have.

SOURCE: http://techsupport.foreverwarm.com/outlook-2010-messages-disappear-when-moved-to-folders

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a setting in your sub-folder view settings. In these few simple steps you can make sure you are seeing all the email messages in the folder. Hopefully once you’ve followed these instructions you will now be able to see all email messages in that folder and your email message will be there too. No longer will Outlook messages disappear!

outlook-view-tab.jpg

• In Outlook 2010 click the View tab for the ribbon bar
  • Click on the folder you want and then click View Settings
  • Go to advanced and see if there is any advanced filtering shown.
  • If so, remove it and click OK.
    If you had to follow these steps to stop Outlook messages dissapearing then you should check your other Outlook folders as well. Make sure filtering is not applied to any of them. Unfortunately there is no way in Outlook to select the root folder and make the change on all sub-folders. You actually have to go through each sub-folder and check it and change it if necessary. It’s a pain, but it’s worth going through the steps to make sure you’re seeing all the messages you have.
Thanks but none of this worked.
What I did now is manually hunt for hose lost emails and moved them manually to the desired folder and then applied the rule.
But still there should be a way to find those emails and the location as to where they get hidden.

Try creating a new profile and check. control panel - mail 32 - show profile - add a new profile and check use this profile

1. Quit Outlook.

2. Select Start, and then type the following:

3. To clean both client- and server-side rules, type: Outlook.exe /cleanrules

To clean only client-side rules, type: Outlook.exe /cleanclientrules

To clean only server-side rules, type: Outlook.exe /cleanserverrules

Back