OC & Modding Overclocking Phenom 965 (Black)+ MSi 790GX-G65

luckyishere

Disciple
Hi

I recently upgraded my rig and want some help in overclocking..here are the specs

AMD Phenom x4 965 (Black Edition)
MSI 790GX-G65
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
G.Skill 2x2GB (1600Mhz RAM) timings 9-9-9-24 @1.5-1.6V
MSI HD 4870 (512)
Cooler Master Extreme Power 600
lots of case fans
CM 690
1TB + 500 GB HDD
Question1 :- I tried overclocking using AMD overdrive without increasing the Voltage and i was successfully able to run my CPU on 3.88 GHZ (core at 210MHZ and Multiplier at 18.5)...When i try making the value of core at 214 or multiplier at 19, system reboots during the stress test but the temp doesnt go beyond 47 C.....If i want to reach a little higher limit, then which Voltage parameter to change and by what value..At 3.86 GHz CPU idles at arnd 35 C

Question 2 :- When i try increasing FSB using the OC button provided in the MOBO, even if i try increasing it at first level that is 10% then also it says OC switch failed..I believe i have got a pretty decent configuation thats why i am wondering why it isnt working...am i doing something wrong?? please advice.

Question 3 :- I have heard that this board by default has RAM speed to run at 1333 MHZ and i will have to manually enter the timing and voltage values in Bios to run it properly and at 1600 MHz but i am kinda newbie in this...so can you please advice how to enter value of ram and where to enter it..
( I am running Windows XP 32 Bit)

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Overclocking Phenim 965 (Black)+ MSi 790GX-G65

I should say you have got an extremely good overclock with AMD overdrive. You could increase Vcore(perhaps referred to as cpu vid in msi) to achieve better overclock. No need to use oc switch, when you have got such good oc.
If you need to set ram to 1600, get into bios by pressing del at boot, enter cell menu and change the dram multiplier to 6 from 5.x. That should do. As you have got cl9 ram, you dont need to do anything mostly, check the values with cpu-z.

Re: Overclocking Phenim 965 (Black)+ MSi 790GX-G65

Thanks for the reply !!

Has anyone here reached a better figure with a similar configuration?

luckyishere said:
Question1 :- I tried overclocking using AMD overdrive without increasing the Voltage and i was successfully able to run my CPU on 3.88 GHZ (core at 210MHZ and Multiplier at 18.5)...When i try making the value of core at 214 or multiplier at 19, system reboots during the stress test but the temp doesnt go beyond 47 C.....If i want to reach a little higher limit, then which Voltage parameter to change and by what value..At 3.86 GHz CPU idles at arnd 35 C

You need to adjust vcore or vid for stability at higher clocks

Before giving any tips for OCing, I would like to make one thing clear that you still do not know what you are doing. A lot of guides are there on the net for phenom overclocking, go through them, get an idea and start overclocking. It's never a good idea to go overboard and do the tweaking mate.

First determine what your mobo is capable of as far as max HTT is concerned, and what your RAM can hit at max and then the CPU. Anyways, you have achieved a good overclock. Which 965 do you have? C2 or C3 stepping? Which cooler do you have? If you are using the stock cooler, don't touch the voltage settings. I'm very much concerned about your PSU, I'm afraid it will give up anytime even without overclocking.

dvijaydev46 said:
You need to adjust vcore or vid for stability at higher clocks

Before giving any tips for OCing, I would like to make one thing clear that you still do not know what you are doing. A lot of guides are there on the net for phenom overclocking, go through them, get an idea and start overclocking. It's never a good idea to go overboard and do the tweaking mate.

First determine what your mobo is capable of as far as max HTT is concerned, and what your RAM can hit at max and then the CPU. Anyways, you have achieved a good overclock. Which 965 do you have? C2 or C3 stepping? Which cooler do you have? If you are using the stock cooler, don't touch the voltage settings. I'm very much concerned about your PSU, I'm afraid it will give up anytime even without overclocking.

I am not sure which one that is C2 or C3..i will check and let u know...Also i searched for some guides but i could nt get one for a noob like me...if u have any links please post here..Also i am using CM Hyper 212 + for CPU cooling not the stock cooler...I made this thread so that someone can enlighten me with the overclock thingy and how to do that in the right manner..

Mine is a C3 version consuming 125 W...Also from that link i understood some of the part...but i am still confused about some information...

Back