P2P downloads : India among top 10 !

Neotheone

Figuring stuff out
Adept
Well I thought that we would be far behind the more "bandwidth endowed" nations in p2p usage but a research by the Motion Picture Distributors Association found out that it was not the case.

According to the study, the major international BitTorrent portals were heavily used by Indians. India was the fourth largest downloader behind US, Britain and Canada [ Images ].
-Source: Rediff

Find the full article here : Online piracy: India in top 10 list: Rediff.com Business

I have mixed feelings about it (morally off course I am against piracy.... but then ) .....Actually I don't find the results to be very convincing (judging intuitively ) .....

Any opinions on the credibility of the gathered info guys ?

Might have been doctored to suit india. afterall DtecNet is RIAA's new sleeping partner now :rofl:

The RIAA will now be working with DtecNet, a Danish anti-piracy tracking company which employs largely the same techniques as MediaSentry, but the aims will be slightly different in the majority of cases. The new tactic for the IFPI-headed music industry is to target ISPs instead, lobbying governments to implement the dreaded “3 strikes” or “graduated response” scheme reported so often in recent months.

Meet DtecNet – RIAA’s New Anti-Piracy Partners | TorrentFreak

last thing india needs is the likes of riaa and their tactics of bullying internet users. hope the govt boots them out of the country.

This is one list where I wouldn't have wanted India to figure in.

But heck, I shouldn't be the one talking about it. In fact, I'm sure most of the people here are pirates as well.. :(

Sad. But true.

dont worry about india ... even if the bittorrent protocol ends , piracy will never ever end , unless ofcourse everything is made free ... hehe

I'm surprised India is as low as 4. I guess because of lack of tech penetration.

We're cheap people and always prefer getting stuff for free or cheap instead of buying the original product. People proudly buy counterfeit software because it's cheaper. For example, I read in Times of India about the piracy problems Microsoft is facing with software piracy. Even though Windows 7 is cheaper in India than most other places, nobody wants to spend 5000 bucks on an OS, and the illegal business is getting out of hand.

I'm being a bit hypocritical here because I also download stuff. However, the OS is one software that I always buy... so that there's real support when I need it. I lost a lot of data because of corruption of Microsoft Windows ME and didn't receive any support because it wasn't an original copy, so since then I've been buying Windows.

China has to have more piracy than India , the list seems pretty inaccurate .

We're cheap people and always prefer getting stuff for free or cheap instead of buying the original product

So the Americans , Canadians and the Britishers are cheaper people than us ?

dude , this is all because Indians have shitty internet ... look at sweden , japan .. those bastards (no offence) have 100 mbps at home and also have gbit seedboxes ... i mean come on .. if we could have atleast 10mbps affordable price internet , i can say that India will rule in Bittorrent and P2P ... but its sad that the internet rates are so high compared to other countries :((

Back