Paltry 3 to 7mbps transfer speed from pc to Lexar flash drive via USB 3.0

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
I never paid heed to this thing but last night I was pretty annoyed seeing that a large 5gb file took way less time to download from the www to my pc, but it took ages to transfer it from pc hdd (Toshiba 1tb hdd) to my Lexar 128gb flash drive..
The transfer speed was never above 7mbps

Can anyone shed some light what's wrong
The usb 3 is enabled and drives are all optimized
The usb removal policy is set to better performance as well.

Thanks

Did you check the speed using something like CrystalDiskMark tool?

If it's 7 MBps (megabytes not megabits) aka 70 mbps then it might be normal.

It's infact it's 7 mbps, it used to be like 14 or 15 tilla few weeks back..
It is odd for the speed to drop between weeks if it is a single file. Unless of course, normally you transfer small files and in this case a large file caused more heat buildup.

I have a 400 MBps USB drive but that peak speed only lasts for a few seconds as the cache is small and normal transfer speed is 50-60 MBps.

My doubt is on the hdd, I think this was purchased used from the forum a few weeks months back and it's being used to store only media files... Plenty of them tbh as i have converted a lot my fav cds into flac files for streaming to my setup...

My doubt is on the hdd, I think this was purchased used from the forum a few weeks months back and it's being used to store only media files... Plenty of them tbh as i have converted a lot my fav cds into flac files for streaming to my setup...
Try transferring same 5GB file from your pc main internal ssd/hdd to pen drive & if similar speed then it is just your pen drive which has some issue. Also, prefer backside usb ports on motherboard for pen drive/external hdd.
I have a 400 MBps USB drive but that peak speed only lasts for a few seconds as the cache is small and normal transfer speed is 50-60 MBps.
400MB/s is sata ssd speeds & no typical pen drive give even 50MB/s write speeds beyond a few seconds unless you mean 400mbps(~50MB/s) & 50-60mbps(~6-7MB/s).

Try transferring same 5GB file from your pc main internal ssd/hdd to pen drive & if similar speed then it is just your pen drive which has some issue. Also, prefer backside usb ports on motherboard for pen drive/external hdd.

400MB/s is sata ssd speeds & no typical pen drive give even 50MB/s write speeds beyond a few seconds unless you mean 400mbps(~50MB/s) & 50-60mbps(~6-7MB/s).
Nope, it is MB with capital B, although it does cost a lot for its size.

It's infact it's 7 mbps, it used to be like 14 or 15 tilla few weeks back..

Has the free space reduced or something? Try emptying the drive (after backup of course) then retry the file transfer?

Also did you try the CrystalDiskMark tool on it?

Back