Storage Solutions Partition Crashed !

Anish

Skilled
Hey guys,

The F: partition (last one with 40GB space - 24GB used) on my comp was not being recognised by Windows today.

After a restart Disk-Checkup ran on its own. After about 30mins of running it stated that errors in the MBR have been corrected and Windows booted normally.

Then the partition was formatted clean. Is there any way now to recover this data ? I spoke to Switch and Sunny and Sunny advised "GetDataBack"...

I have not yet treid anything but please HELP !

It is very very very critical data.

Anish said:
Hey guys,

The F: partition (last one with 40GB space - 24GB used) on my comp was not being recognised by Windows today.

After a restart Disk-Checkup ran on its own. After about 30mins of running it stated that errors in the MBR have been corrected and Windows booted normally.

Then the partition was formatted clean. Is there any way now to recover this data ? I spoke to Switch and Sunny and Sunny advised "GetDataBack"...

I have not yet treid anything but please HELP !

It is very very very critical data.

Don't fret man! the partition can be completely recovered along with the data on it. Just don't do any write-intensive tasks in the meanwhile.

The same thing happened to me. One fine day after replugging in a S-ATA drive, my system said that it needed to be 'initialised' before I could use it. I clicked on 'initialise disk' which didn't take more than a couple of seconds. After that I saw a nice, clean and unformatted volume in the place of where my partitions ought to have been :)

To recover, I first used Active file recovery - the program can read data even off deleted or lost partitions but that ought to be your last resort because backing up every singular file individually is going to be quite tedious.

Instead use Acronis Disk Director 9. It'll do a hard drive scan and search for deleted and lost partitions. After the scan, it'll give you the option to recover them - the recovery process barely takes a couple of seconds. It just rebuilds the partitioning information I guess. i'm sure it'll work for you.

Try following softwares

Easy Recovery 6 Pro [helped me most of the times]
Stellar Phoinex Data recovery [Spell mistake Phoinex might be]
R-Studio Fat / NTFS
Acronis Disk Director 9 [Acronics has some nice softwares]

Also dont perform any sort of R/W Operations unless u recover data from
the HDD.

@ Anish... before trying to run any program over the partition I would suggest that you do a backup of it with Ghost or Acronis True Image - these will backup any readable data even if the partition is not recognised. In case you run into further problems you would have another chance at it by restoring the backed up image. ALL THE BEST BUD !! :S

^^ Acronis makes recovery softwares? :S and will making an image inclyude the files deleted? i have a formatted HDD here from which data shud be recovered..any posts here will help me too :D

SunnyBoi said:
and will making an image inclyude the files deleted?
I doubt it will make an image of deleted files - but from another forum I understand it will make an image of files present on drive even if the partition table is corrupted and files not readable - I do not have very good computer software knowledge but what I gathered from the info I read was that it makes a mirror image - errors and all - which can be kept safe whilst you work on drive.

Thanks Tracer, Quad, Eazy !

I have had a sleepless night yesterday cause I've lost my most critical data (2.5k images from my digicam, about 6k songs and around 1.5k files and projects and assignments :()

I really don't know what to do and the irony is that I wanted to buy a DW1640 to backup this VERY data...:S

Anyways, I'm gonna buy a 80GB Seagate SATS today evening, install XP and set it as the primary HDD.

Then I'll plug in the 120GB drive and try to run a recovery software. If my data is recovered (I'm praying hard that it is) then I'll copy it onto the 80GB HDD and then send this 120GB disk for replacement as its acting damn funny and I'd even posted about its problems here before.

Now 2 Questions :

1) Is what I'm planning to do OK ?

2) Which is the best recovery software ?

Hey man!

So whats ur progress now? did u recover anything and with which software?

i've had the same prob before and did not recover anything because the partition was formatted, used a new hdd for os etc... no software mentioned above worked. hmm, maybe i did something wrong. post ur reply asap.

thanks.

Well I mesed with the partition table once. Wrote the partition table of 40GB HDD to 20GB one, and voila my 20GB turned into 40GB.

Well that and once more the ONtrack easy recovery worked fine for me.

Back