Passport queries....

I was asked by my manager on friday whether i'd be interested in going to the US on a year long assignment....

now i wanna say yes, but the prob is i dont even have my passport ready.

So after checking the official site (passport.gov.in), for the details, found that there is a tatkal scheme.

As per the site, the documents that need to be provided are either the verification certificate (annexure F) OR the annexure I + 3 documents.

Now im facing various problems....:

i) need the annexure I on a stamp paper, as per a notary I met...and he wasnt sure about the annexure F thing.

ii) i need the passport as soon as possible, so though the site says 7 days for the tatkal scheme.... a bit of searching led to me various blogs and sites where people are only cribbing abt the current passport scenario.

Can any1 give me a clear idea as to what is the procedure for obtaining the passport in the quickest way possible, so that my filing n stamping can go ahead???

Really need some help here.... :(

Errr.. i am not sure about what u have to do.

But it would take about 10 days i guess. You can contact some agency in ur locality. These guys would do it. Would take a few bucks. But worth it.

I am not sure of mumbai, but I've been to teh Passport Office in Bangalore recently and the ppl there were very helpful.

1. Annexure F should be 'On Official Stationery of verifying Authority'
2. Off late, the scenario seems to be changing. Atleast here in Bangalore, the general consensus is the officers are pretty helpful.

And, it is always better u get involved in this directly and not depend on an agent.

the prob here in mumbai is that the appications are far more than what the staff can handle...

so theyre turning down people for reasons like : 'ur school/college leaving certificate has not been attested by the principal of the institute you studied in...it has been attested by somebody else...so we cannot consider ur application' and such stuff!

and seems the 'annexure F' has to be signed(stamped) by an army officer/magistrate etc etc... which is a problem for me.

the site says that Annexure F is reqd.... OR Annexure I + 3 docs (just to requote what i posted earlier)... so would it be fine if i just provided annexure I + 3 docs (coz thats easier).

really confused here...dont wanna miss this opportunity.

^ U have to submit Annexure F (Verification Certificate) to by-pass the Police Pre-verification. If this is not submitted, then u'll have to wait till Police Verification is carried over, even if u apply under Tatkal scheme.

oh ok...didnt know that.

from whom do we get the Annexure F stamped from??

the list if pretty large...but any ideas who'd be the best bet...since i dont have much contacts..

This Verification Certificate may be got signed by any of the following:

(i) An Under Secretary/Deputy Secretary/Director/Joint Secretary/Add. Secretary/Special Secretary/Secretary/Cabinet Secretary to Government of India.

(ii) A Director/Joint Secretary/Additional Secretary/Special Secretary/Chief Secretary to a State Govt.

(iii) A Sub-Divisional Magistrate/First class Judicial Magistrate/Additional DM/District Magistrate of the district of residence of applicant.

(iv) A District Superintendent of Police, DIG/IG/DGP of district of residence of applicant.

(v) A Major and above in the army, Lt. Commander and above in the Navy and Sq. Leader and in the Air Force.

(vi) The General Manager of a Public Sector Undertaking

(vii) All members of any All India Service or Central Service who are equivalent to or above the rank of an Under Secretary to the Government i.e. in the pay scale of Rupees 10,000-15,200 or above.

(viii) Resident Commissioners/Additional Resident Commissioners of all State Governments based in Delhi.

(ix) Concerned Tehsildars or Concerned SHO’s for an applicant staying in the area under his/her jurisdiction.

made 2 trips to the passport office yest n today...and here's what i learnt regarding TATKAAL passports :

i) need to fill up the form online first (passport.gov.in) where they will give you a date n time.(need to do this compulsarily as a code is printed on the pdf created. this pdf is to be printed and submitted on the date given to you)

ii) Visit the office at the given time, submit ur documents:

a) printed pdf

b) address proof

c) educational qualification

d) birth proof

pay 1000 bucks and collect the receipt

iii) 2 days after submitting the docs, go the old passport office, submit the receipt, pay 1500 bucks more, submit the rest of the dcouments

a) Annexure F

b) Annexure I + 3 documents (given on the site)

c) Urgency letter (from your organization)

d) Request Letter (from your organization)

e) An application written by you.

All these might not be compulsary, but more the documents, better the chances of getting the passport early.

Finally you go and collect your passport after 12-15 days.

Phew...

geekhead83 said:
I was asked by my manager on friday whether i'd be interested in going to the US on a year long assignment....

now i wanna say yes, but the prob is i dont even have my passport ready.

So after checking the official site (passport.gov.in), for the details, found that there is a tatkal scheme.

As per the site, the documents that need to be provided are either the verification certificate (annexure F) OR the annexure I + 3 documents.

Now im facing various problems....:

i) need the annexure I on a stamp paper, as per a notary I met...and he wasnt sure about the annexure F thing.

ii) i need the passport as soon as possible, so though the site says 7 days for the tatkal scheme.... a bit of searching led to me various blogs and sites where people are only cribbing abt the current passport scenario.

Can any1 give me a clear idea as to what is the procedure for obtaining the passport in the quickest way possible, so that my filing n stamping can go ahead???

Really need some help here.... :(

Look for Reputed Agent who is working in your city form Long Time and handle all your Passport Needs and documents, enquire about same person/form before give them all your documents, keep Color Xerox Copy of all Documents you hand over to Agent.

Raj Travels have such facilities (don't will provide you service or Not)

Finally you go and collect your passport after 12-15 days.

Phew...

Do you forget Chaipani to Police Station Inspector who will provide All Clear Mark to Passport Authority after verification of you (Rs.100-1000 or more as per your Urgency and Area in Mumbai)

Hey

AFAIK...... ur company must be having a passport agent working for it. I think he might make things simpler for you......

Wat say guys??

@anish,

my superiors are waiting for my passport so that as they can raise the vsr (visa stamping request).

that process should not take more than 2.5 months.

@lazybugger,

we do have a passport agent...but they only do the job for a normal passport (2 months waiting period)...and the lady there was insane; a year ago when i had gone to her to submit the documents, she was adamant that i submit 10 bank statements.

I just left it there.

had gone to the passport office today.

Got in the line at 11 am sharp and came out of the room with a receipt at 4:30 pm.

the whole system is just pathetic.

anyways, have to go to the old passport office on monday with the receipt and submit the tatkal fees n documents.

geekhead83 said:
Got in the line at 11 am sharp and came out of the room with a receipt at 4:30 pm.

Had been to RPO Blr y'day. Stood in line from 9:15 to 12:45 only to be told to go back home, wait for the passport and any further changes cud be done only after its issued :tongue:

Not to mention the 2.5 hours it took me to reach Blr and another 30 minutes to reach RPO.

All in all, y'day i got up at 4:30am, went to blr, had biriyani and came back :rofl:

dude ohh mumbai guy i shd have given u the tip...u should go empty hand all documents hidden in your clothes or jacket and have a biscuits in hand.....and enter at 1.45 pm or 2 pm....thats the time they dont check.....security guards...as all of the guys go for lunch the people who are in waiting for there number goes out have lunch and come bak and no one ask except security guy at door staring at u like monkeys that ull offer them ...

Btw the mumbai passport office is full of irregularity..in my whole 1 day wasted...i saw for every women they used to waste 15-25 mins on counter male 5 mins......and when my number came at 3.30 i did the job in 3 mins(along with of 2 more ppls my neighbour and a lady who was being harrassed from morning by the counter guy/gay idiot) also when it was time to close he was accepting the documents in seconds but in morning he waste alot of time...

reason in background he wasa assessing forms from agent who were allowed direct entry to his cabin where the guy used to keep the papers and the guy was assessing that and wasting peoples time who were in line.......no doubt the guy makes 50k on form accepting counter......almost 50 applications came that way during my time...100 for each form would make him damn rich

yeah..realized later that the best time to go is around 2:30 or so...coz thats when they do their job properly since they wanna close the counter fast!

geekhead83 said:
@anish,
had gone to the passport office today.

He he that was going to happen. People come at 7 AM for submitting forms, what else would you expect ?
For my passport i went at 8AM was out at 11AM.

Just keep the documents proper and you wont have any problem in getting the passport on time.
Hope you get your passport ready in time.

Got my passport yesterday and after going through the whole process, have listed it in detail below.

geekhead83 said:
--------Normal Passport Processing--------------

i) need to fill up the form online first (passport.gov.in) where they will give you a date n time.(need to do this compulsarily as a code is printed on the pdf created. this pdf is to be printed and submitted on the date given to you)

ii) Visit the office at the given time, submit ur documents:
a) printed pdf
b) address proof
c) educational qualification
d) birth proof
pay 1000 bucks and collect the receipt
-----End of process for Normal passport processing ----

For tatkal:
iii) 2 days after submitting the docs, go the old passport office, apply for tatkal (counter no. 23) with the following docs:

a) Annexure F
b) Annexure I + 3 documents (given on the site)
c) Urgency letter (from your organization)
d) Request Letter (from your organization)
e) An application written by you. (dont forget this...write any bullcrap)

After the chap on the counter approves the whole thing, he'll give you a yellow receipt and tell you to go to some cabin (IIRC it was cabin no. 9 for me).
Keep the yellow receipt ready visit the cabin.
The person sitting in the cabin will scribble some stuff on the yellow receipt/note, on your tatkal application and will ask you to come exactly 7 days later to visit cabin no.1 and pay the fees(on counter no.24)

iv) The next day or 2 days later, the police will visit your place and approve the stuff.(they checked my ration card, college leaving etc)
They called my neighbour and asked him stuff about me :S
They will give you a sheet and ask you to visit the police station in your locality for the remaining verification process on a given date.(usually the next day)

v) Visit the police station on the given date with all the documents you have (trust me on this, the guy at the police station made me attach 2 copies of atleast 12 documents)
Give the guy his khaana-peena (read: bribe him) only if he asks for it before leaving.

vi) Visit the passport office on the date given to you for pay the tatkal fees.
Visit the havaldar standing in front of cabin no.1 and give him ur receipt (original one, not the yellow receipt)
He'll bring the receipt back in 10-15 mins and ask you to pay the money on the counter (all this very rudely if you happen to be male)

Pay the fees on counter no. 24.... and finally, ur done!

vii) The passport will arrive via speed post in the next 4-5 days.
( in case it doesnt, pay the passport office a visit)
And yeah, do not forget to keep checking the status on the passport site.
(STATUS PAGE)

The process for me was as follows :

1) 12th July - Applied for the normal passport.
2) 16th July - Applied for Tatkal
3) 17th July - Police visits me
3) 18th July - I visit the police (lol)
4) 23rd July - Pay the tatkal fees
5) 26th July - passport dispatched from their office (as per the site)
6) 28th July - My passport finally arrives!
Cheers! :hap2:

Back