Patriot Torqx 64GB PFZ64GS25SSDR SSD

Naga

Skilled
I'm planning to upgrade to a SSD and have decided on the Patriot Torqx 64GB PFZ64GS25SSDR SSD. Performance wise, it's reads are rated at 220MB/s over the marginally cheaper 60GB OCZ Vertex's reads of 230MB/s but more than makes up with the 10 year warranty :hap2: over OCZ's 2 years. It supports TRIM too.

I'll probably be contacting kmd for the purchase, but given enough numbers (min 10), Patriot is willing to ship direct. Prices are of course tentative but it won't be more than 15~16k. Once enough numbers are confirmed, we can expect some more clarity. Once that's done we can compare prices with other avenues of import. Since this IC will only be converted to a GO in late Jan'10, there might be positive changes to the product and prices in the meantime (fingers crossed ;) ).

The reason I'm posting this IC in advance is so other members planning the jump to SSDs can coordinate with each other in getting the best deal possible. Needless to say, this IC is open to alternative product suggestions if they're a better deal.

On to the product description:

Link: Patriot Memory - Products

Patriot Torqx Solid State (SSD) drives are the latest in storage technology based on flash memory. Using state-of-the-art NAND flash chips and an ultra-fast controller, Torqx SSDs offer a fast, quiet and ultra-reliable solution for your data storage needs. Torqx SSD is designed with built in DRAM cache which allows faster real-time transfers that leads to faster drive performance.

• Available in 64GB, 128GB and 256GB capacities
  • Interface: SATA I/II
  • Raid Support: 0, 1, 0+1
  • 256GB and 128GB: Sequential Read: up to 260MB/s Sequential Write: up to 180MB/s
  • 64GB: Sequential Read: up to 220MB/s Sequential Write: up to 135MB/s
  • Shock Resistant: 1500G/0.5ms
  • Vibration Resistant: 20G/10~2000Hz with 3 Axis
  • Operating Consumption & Power: DC 5V <550mA 2.75W
  • Operating Temperature: 0�C~70�C
  • Storage Temperature: -40�C~ 85�C
  • MTBF: >2,500,000 Hours
  • Data Retention: 5 years at 25�C
  • Data Reliability: Built in BCH 8, 12 and 16-bit ECC
  • O/S Support: Windows�XP and Vista® Linux, and Mac OS X®
  • Dimensions: 99.88 x 69.63x 9.3 mm
  • Weight: 91g
  • Certification: FCC/CE/RoHS
  • 10 Year Warranty

Some old reviews that I dug up :p:

Patriot Torqx 64GB PFZ64GS25SSDR SSD Review | Reviews - Clunk.org.uk

Patriot 64GB Torqx SSD Review - Overclockers Club

Warranty will be direct from the manufacturer (will have to be shipped to Taiwan).
Note:On first release, Patriot SSD drives had 1 year warranties. They upgraded all buyers (new and old) to 2 years and then 10 years. I liked the fact that they didn't ditch the first ones to put their faith in the brand :)

Interested:

Naga x3

^SSD boy :p vishalrao just got a 128GB one for 23-24k from UK. The intel G1 is available for 16k locally here (1 year warranty). Doesn't have TRIM support etc.

Just a suggestion but why not go in for the Corsair P series, it supports trim and is very fast, has a write speed of 220mb also. around $ 359, I heard last.

what exactly is trim support can anyone highlight on that !!! even the ocz vertex n all are out .. and kingston too.. which is for like 250 for 128 gb..

@Tech_enthu, that's almost 17k@current exchange rate, so you can imagine how much it'll cost imported. It also has only 2 years warranty.

@ocizer, all SSDs are not created equal. Intel specs as shown here. Lower performance, 3 year limited warranty at almost similar/ higher prices is a no go.

Edit: @anks22402, SSD performance degrades over time. TRIM helps to check that. Google for a technical explanation :bleh:!

what exactly is trim support can anyone highlight on that !!! even the ocz vertex n all are out .. and kingston too.. which is for like 250 for 128 gb..

Those are lower versions of the same drives. EG. GSkill FALCON II is a much slower drive than the falcon I, and hence is cheaper. Even patriot has a P-100 or something drive which is a more lower money drive.

Great IC/GO, let the SSD party begin!

A 64 gb SSD is an excellent way to get a taste IMHO, you can even squeeze in a Win7+Linux dual boot. Note 15-16k is expensive yes, but its for pure performance rather than "price per GB"... typical use is to have this as your boot drive then connect a secondary normal HDD (1 TB or whatever) for your storage needs...

Crucial brand seem to have decent prices at the moment. Also I saw some Kingston 40 GB and 64 GB SSDs with very low prices (but low throughput too) though they should still have good low seek/latency which is also part of the performance experience...

It's still like "beta" quality hardware/firmware I guess, only for you enthusiasts/early-adopters I guess... but much better than the first-gen stuff a year or two ago. And it will only get faster/cheaper/more stable/robust later this year im sure for those who want to wait...

But, DONT WAIT... get one of these now! I am itching to get back home to try mine this weekend :D

Note: if you think 15k is expensive just think what people pay for high-perf RAM and higher-Ghz CPUs just to squeeze marginal perf which you probably wont even notice except when you look at your FPS meter in games/benchmarks. this is best bang-for-the-buck IMO if you call it "performance per rupee" :)

btw, anyone try to get in touch with Corsair/dealers etc? to try to get them to officially launch this stuff with full local replacement warranty support like they have for their PSUs/pen drives... they can grab local market share - will certainly be a hit. (Extreme X series SSDs)

Already did. Contacted Corsair, and the distris- No one interested as no quantity (we can see from this IC itself :p)

That's what i was talking about in ur thread. But was a no go from all around. Tried for OCZ also, but prices were too much (20kish for 64gb).

Note: if you think 15k is expensive just think what people pay for high-perf RAM and higher-Ghz CPUs just to squeeze marginal perf which you probably wont even notice except when you look at your FPS meter in games/benchmarks. this is best bang-for-the-buck IMO if you call it "performance per rupee" :)

The best way is to think of this as 64GB of High performance RAM on which i can install my OS too instead of a Hard Disk for 15k :p Especially for folks who are dying to buy additional 6GB of DDR3 RAM for 12-15k for their i7 systems, this will give u a much higher boost.

hey i got two of these.they work pretty well.great purchase.
but in case you are into heavy constant hdd writing and access programs (not like photoshop or something) you should definitely avoid it.it doesnt run well with those as i used it with logic and it wasnt a great experience.

i now use these on my gaming pc which is fast as hell now.ssd ftw :)
I might grab one , will let ya folks know :eek:hyeah:

Check this out: Can Bargain SSDs Give Windows A Quantum Performance Leap? : Getting Older By The Minute - Review Tom's Hardware

The first time I saw Intel turn in a 20-second full load boot, I about fell out of my office chair. The apps came up so quickly that I could barely follow them. And a shut-down in only six seconds? Shut up!

Well, I don’t know about you, but I know what I’m doing on New Year’s Day: plugging a new SSD boot drive into my molasses-slow system.

Back