paypal stops payments in india

kippu said:
i do have an IE code , need to find out about a FIRC ... personal payments still blocked , so effectively all money is blocked

varkey said:
So everyone has to apply for an IEC to withdraw from Paypal?

Anyway lets wait for their update on March 1st.

Guys if you just want to withdraw the funds to your bank account from paypal, use Xoom. Much faster than paypal (About 1-2 business days) and better exchange rate (About Rs 1 more). Use coupon codes to make the fees ZERO. I used it and got the money the very next day.

Don't know about personal payments though.

arun687 said:
Guys if you just want to withdraw the funds to your bank account from paypal, use Xoom. Much faster than paypal (About 1-2 business days) and better exchange rate (About Rs 1 more). Use coupon codes to make the fees ZERO. I used it and got the money the very next day.

Don't know about personal payments though.

I tried Xoom twice and received the money in less than 24 hours, good exchange rates and no fee with coupons but you can't use Xoom anymore. Check the mail they sent me

Dear Xoom Customer,

Xoom no longer accepts Paypal as a funding source for transactions to India.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, but would like to remind you that you can still remit money to India by funding your transactions with a United States bank account or a debit or credit card.

We've made this difficult decision in light of the Reserve Bank of India's concerns about PayPal in India.

Your money transfers can still be sent for fast deposit to any Indian bank account, door-to-door delivery, or for cash pickup. Xoom continues to offer very competitive exchange rates.

Regards,

Xoom Customer Service

Can anyone please tell me what actually is an Export Code?

My payment is stuck in the middle :( - Neither PayPal is transferring the amount to my bank nor they are reversing it back :Comp3:

varkey said:
I tried Xoom twice and received the money in less than 24 hours, good exchange rates and no fee with coupons but you can't use Xoom anymore. Check the mail they sent me

OMG, didn't know that :( That's sad.

This blog seems to have some more info on this paypal saga.

Event Horizon WeBlog Log

The latest post had this..

PayPal could be subject to fines from the Reserve Bank for the period of operation without a license, and PayPal’s prospects for future business in India, both cross-border and domestic, could be materially and adversely affected.

hmm..does not look like personal transactions are going to be enabled anytime soon :(

mrintech said:
Can anyone please tell me what actually is an Export Code?

My payment is stuck in the middle :( - Neither PayPal is transferring the amount to my bank nor they are reversing it back :Comp3:

Same goes for me . Nor the amount reflecting in bank a/c nor in paypal :( Can someone please shed some light on this ?

I today got a mail that the matter is settled now and they will have transaction up and ready in few days

Code:
PayPal

Dear ,

We have been diligently working with the RBI and our business

partners to resume Indian bank withdrawals for the thousands

of Indian businesses who depend on PayPal to sell their goods

or services in the global marketplace.

Today, we are happy to announce that the RBI has allowed us

to continue local bank withdrawals for settlements for exports

of goods and services.  We are currently making changes to

comply with Indian regulations for settlements for exports of

goods and services, and we anticipate that, as of Wednesday,

March 3rd, customers will be able to use our

bank withdrawal service.  

As part of the changes, you will be required to fill out a

new field entitled 'Export Code' when you request a withdrawal.

This information is required under the current laws of India in

order to identify the nature of cross-border merchant transactions.  

On Monday, March 1st, we will be back in touch with specific

instructions on how you can move your money into your bank account. 

Moving forward, the RBI has told us that PayPal needs specific

approvals to allow personal remittances to India, which we

currently do not have.  Until we get these approvals, personal

payments into India will remain suspended.  However, if you are

an exporter, you will continue to be able to use the PayPal

service for payments of goods and services.  In fact, with the

changes we are making to our system, PayPal is now set to be a

more powerful engine for exporters in India.  With purpose codes

for export transactions and FIRCs (Foreign Inward Remittance

Certificates), you should now be able to get the export

related benefits you seek. 

You can check the PayPal blog for additional updates.

[url]www.thepaypalblog.com[/url]

We thank you for your business and for your patience during

the past few weeks.

Sincerely,

PayPal

blr_p said:
See here

Filling the form should be easy and you can skip Section C since its only for people who already have an IEC number. You’ll need a bank certificate, your PAN card copies, date of birth certificate and a Demand Draft of Rs 250 (please cross-check since the fee structure may have changed) drawn in favor of DGFT.

Not good :mad::(

I guess its time to get your money out and chance for the competitors to strike the paypal death hammer, atleast in India. Too bad!

I couldn't find anything like Paypal except for Moneybrokers. But its difficult to use them.

Does applying for IEC & using this for payments mean that I'll have to pay any kind of taxes on my payments ??

Also I think to get an IEC, I need a PAN. I don't have a PAN. Is PAN really required ?

Are any of you guys being charged a processing fee while receiving payments from abroad (let's say USA) ?

Earlier, I used to receive the exact amount (USD -> USD) into my account but my last transaction (today) had a $4.20 processing fee!? :(

Receive Payments - International payments (outside India):

2.9% + $0.30 USD to 3.9% + $0.30 USD

Is this it? :S

This sucks. :mad:

Back