Video PC-BDP-STB Connecting all to one LCD Monitor-HELP Needed

johnsunder

Disciple
Jan 15, 2009
Pondicherry/Chennai
Guys,
I have an ACER 24" LCD screen for my comp which I use to watch movies from pen drive/HDD also thru my comp, of course. Now, I was seriously thinking of donating my 29" 100Hz Phillips CRT and connecting my STB as well as the Blu Ray player to the 24" LCD monitor and making it a all in one package. Here are the specs

My LCD Screen takes one HDMI and one VGA input. I have to connect my PC and BDP through HDMI only and my STB through HDMI or VGA. My STB is not HD, hence has only a composite out, nothing else (Airtel). My initial idea was to get a composite to VGA/HDMI cable and also get a 3 input, 1 output HDMI switch and connect. Here are my questions;

1. The cost of this switch ranges anywhere from 500 to 2500 bucks, Confused which one to buy ?
2. How is the quality of the HDMI Switch ? Does it compromise on the original video quality ?
3. Composite to HDMI/VGA, does that work properly ?

Will be great if someone can point me to the right products or a better solution.

Thanks
John

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
I would say get the cheapest product that satisfies what you need. Image Quality-wise there shouldn't be much effect.

Do have a search around hifivision forums as well where you might find more people who have experiemented with these switches

johnsunder

Disciple
Jan 15, 2009
Pondicherry/Chennai
I would say get the cheapest product that satisfies what you need. Image Quality-wise there shouldn't be much effect.

Do have a search around hifivision forums as well where you might find more people who have experiemented with these switches

Thanks bottle. I ended up getting a HD-DVR from airtel and connected all 3 through the 3 in 1 switch which came with a remote. Very very useful indeed. Will post pics soon.